Official Girls with Guns thread

sifu iron perm

One Armed Boxer
19 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I divide the Girls 'n Genre into three eras: the Golden Age (1985-1990); the Middle Period (1990-1994) and the decline (1995 and onward)

I like this take on the genre! I'd probably just make the Golden Age 1985 - 1989 so there's no overlapping year. It's interesting that Michelle Yeoh, who pretty much starred in the flick that many consider to be the first Girls with Guns entry with 1985's 'Yes, Madam!' (and would subsequently star in 2 of the best in 1986's 'Royal Warriors' and 1987's 'Magnificent Warriors') never really returned to the genre afterwards, even after her post-divorce return to filmmaking. 'Project S' feels closest, but even watching that, it comes across more like a Stanley Tong 'Police Story' spin-off than it does a Girls with Guns flick. 

• Like 4

Doing period movies made her stand out from Moon Lee, who surpassed her in the GWG genre. Weirdly, Moon never did any movies in the vein of Butterfly & Sword or Wing Chun.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2022 at 9:19 AM, FightingFool said:

Anyone knows if Queen`s High was released on dvd?Sea Wolves is, but seems very rare and getting it may end up very expensive in the end. But at least knowing it`s around helps, the hunt is on...

Queen's High will make you feelin' high when it comes out, sooner or later, eh. 

bam.jpg

• Like 4

The Dragon Fighter (1990) - aka Hard to Die - The third movie from Tai Seng's "China Heat series" is this lesser-known Girls n' Guns vehicle: an unoccasionally fun, but frequently unfocused movie about a number of people whose lives are affected by a drug kingpin, played by Eddie Ko Hung. Sibelle Hu plays the imaginatively named "Madame Hu", a detective who's determined to bring down Eddie, spurred on even more by the fact that her dad is a junkie. Michiko Nishiwaki is Japanese girl who's in Hong Kong trying to assassinate Ko for personal reasons that I didn't catch (I saw an unsubbed version in Cantonese). Carrie Ng is the girlfriend of Francis Ng, who I *think* runs the legitimate business that serves as a front for Eddie Ko's activities. Alex Fong is tough-as-nails hitman in Ko's employ who falls for Carrie. Alex Man shows up as a petty criminal that Madame Hu is always harrassing. All of their paths will cross in diverse ways.

There is a fair amount of action in this movie, although the film tends to drag during the non-action scenes (or maybe it was the fact that I don't speak Cantonese). Genre veteran Chui Fat (Cheetah on Fire and Crystal Hunt) handled the action duties and acquits himself fairly well here. He was always a dependable choreographer, even when saddled with B-movies for most of his post-Shaw Brothers career. Michiko Nishiwaki gets a nice fight at the docks where a drug deal is going down and a brief fight on a passenger train. Sibelle Hu mainly uses firearms, but does have a very short fight with Mark Houghton in the beginning and a fight atop a moving vehicle with a drug dealer (Wong Chi-Hok) midway through the movie. Carrie Ng and her stunt double have a nice acrobatic fight in a dark room with Jimmy Au and she has another fight with some thugs right before the climax. Alex Fong mainly uses a gun for his scenes, although he does some basic fisticuffs on occasion. The climax is a huge gunfight at a container warehouse that spills over into a nearby shantydown. There are some car stunts, lots of explosions, and thousands of bullets being fired. There are also lots of smaller gunfights scattered throughout the movie.

In typical Hong Kong action movie fashion, nobody is given plot armor and anybody can die at any time. There is one suprisingly graphic death of a child...onscreen! My main gripe, besides the occasional lull in the story, is that Alex Man's character is over-the-top and obnoxious, which is at odds with the rest of the movie, which is serious and brutal.

• Like 4

On 1/24/2022 at 12:19 AM, FightingFool said:

Anyone knows if Queen`s High was released on dvd?Sea Wolves is, but seems very rare and getting it may end up very expensive in the end. But at least knowing it`s around helps, the hunt is on...
Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes

I always like the German VHS cover, it had Cynthia Khan wearing a blood spattered white wedding dress holding an Uzi while the HK VCD and LD, she had to share the cover with Simon Yam.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I always like the German VHS cover, it had Cynthia Khan wearing a blood spattered white wedding dress holding an Uzi while the HK VCD and LD, she had to share the cover with Simon Yam.

beginning_the.jpg

• Like 4

Angel 3-Forgettable third instalment with the only highlight being the Moon Lee nunchuck fight sequence

Magnificent Warriors-Classic movie that never seems to age,one of Michelle Yeoh’s best

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, sym8 said:

Magnificent Warriors-Classic movie that never seems to age,one of Michelle Yeoh’s best

Love it, I wasn't too keen on Hwang Jeong-ri's role in it though, I felt he didn't get to cut loose, I thought he got a better role in Where's Officer Tuba.

• Like 2

legendarycurry
22 minutes ago, sym8 said:

Angel 3-Forgettable third instalment with the only highlight being the Moon Lee nunchuck fight sequence

Do you by any chance have a letterboxd account. Wouldn't mind following people with seemingly good taste on there :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, J.J. Hayden said:

Love it, I wasn't too keen on Hwang Jeong-ri's role in it though, I felt he didn't get to cut loose, I thought he got a better role in Where's Officer Tuba.

Agreed but I think he was coming to an end with regards to his Hong Kong career,as for Officer Tuba I’m ashamed to say I’ve never seen it.

• Like 2

Killer Angels-I’m throwing out some of my old vhs tapes but decided to give this another watch before it goes to the tip.Cashing in on the Angel films this is probably one of the better rip offs,infact comparing it to Angel 3 this wins hands down.Moon Lee is great in the fight scenes and a supporting cast with the likes of Leung Kar Yan and Lau Kar Fei you can’t really go wrong.My only complaint is when it comes to the fight scenes Lau Kar Fei and Leung Kar Yan don’t really let loose.May hunt a Blu down if there is one.

• Like 3

Brave Young Girls-1990.Yukari Oshima starrer although she only appears from about the half way mark,Kara Hui in a brawl in an alley cameo and Leung ka yan as the main opponent to Oshima in the decent finale(choreographed by Chiang Tao)A story of prostitution and Triad gangs for the girls with guns genre,not the best but I’ve seen worse.Worth a watch mainly for the finale, don’t know if there are two endings but the one I viewed saw everyone get arrested rather than killed.Maybe it’s one of those where they had to shoot different versions for different territories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I didn't know that Ko Fei had been married to Yukari Oshima !

Yeah, I believe it was pretty brief. I also understand that she dated Mark Cheng for a period, too.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
23 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Yeah, I believe it was pretty brief. I also understand that she dated Mark Cheng for a period, too.

Also married...

image.jpeg.acccb37f1becad1fbea2cb88b515f53f.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

She went from Frankie to Mark to Phillip.... can't really say she has a type.

Well, her leading men and/or directors definitely had a thing for her. Maybe she just went with the flow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

She went from Frankie to Mark to Phillip.... can't really say she has a type.

image.jpeg.935e9315d4fa5530d046b2149e4d53f5.jpeg

Wow ! Frankie Chan and Mark Cheng too !!

• Like 1

Top Squad

Sibelle Hu takes on and tries to get into shape a school of young female commandos, next door to a rival male school. We also get Cynthia Rothrock and Mars featuring here. It's an ok film but the comedy isn't really funny and there's nowhere near enough action, mostly confined to the beginning and end. Funny how the cover of the german mediabook steals an image from another movie and pastes Cynthia's head on to the large breasted gun toting girl when this movie is pre-Cynthia's "ahem" enhancement in the chest department. The transfer is really good on this, 2022 date on it ,would have thought Eureka may release this in the UK but i don't think it's strong enough to fly solo.

• Like 3