Shinobi 2005'

Guest Daisho2004

Guest Daisho2004

Shinobi is finally out on DVD there are a few different versions available starting price is $35.00 and it goes up to $101.00 if anyone know where to get it cheaper please let us know.

Directed by Shimoyama Ten, the dazzling 2005 film Shinobi centers on the drama resulting from the war between two ninja clans in the early part of the Tokugawa era. In the film, Nakama Yukie portrays Oboro, the granddaughter of Ogen (Lily), the respected Iga clan matriarch, while Odagiri Jo plays Gennosuke, the son of Danjo Koga (Minoru Terada), the powerful Koga clan leader. While living deep within the mountains, the two ninja clans have honed their skills to superhuman levels. Unfortunately, the clans do not get along and are forbidden by imperial decree from sharing their techniques with each other. Viewing the two ninja clans as a threat to his scheme for total domination, the nefarious Nankobo Tenkai (Ishibashi Renji) plots to intensify the rivalry between the two clans. Nakobo creates a contest in which the clans are forced to choose five of their best warriors to participate. The battle, however, isn't just a friendly contest, it's a duel to the death!

Early in the film, Oboro and Gennosuke meet and fall in love unaware of their clan ties, so when they are both selected to compete they are surprised to discover the truth about one another's identities. However, Gennosuke initially refuses to participate, but is forced to make an appearance when his compatriots start dropping like flies. The combatants in this contest are not your run-of-the-mill ninja warriors, each has powers beyond that of mortal men. There's the face-changing Saemon Kisaragi (Kinoshita Hoka), the limb-extending Yashamaru (Sakaguchi Taku), the poisonous Kagero (Kurotani Tomoka), and the all-seeing Tenzan Yakushi (Shiina Kippei) just to name a few! Thanks to a great romance plot, breathtaking special effects, and spectacular action choreography, Shinobi offers a one-of-a-kind ninja film that must be seen to be believed!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Been wanting this one bad. But not $50-$100 bad :lol . Hopefully the HK release isnt too far out. Thats when I usually pick up my newer Japanese and Korean dvd's.

Guest KevinClo

I saw this one recently. It is a Shochiku co. slow paced styled romance movie, but if you like special effects in ninja movies you might like this one. There are some interesting ways each ninjas' special powers are done with CGI. I did feel like I was watching a slow paced anime at times which would make sense because the story had already been done that way in the anime Basilisk. Not really my style of movie, but I am sure there are a bunch who like this sort of thing.

KC

Guest Yakuza954

I agree with KevinClo. It's like Azumi but with less action and more romance. All of the action sequences have CGI. Nonetheless, the movie was pretty cool and I'd give it a 3/5. Probably more for the anime/modern J-cinema crowd than martial arts fans though.

Probably more for the anime/modern J-cinema crowd than martial arts fans though.

You know, I like some of this stuff, but it's a shame to go that way with such a classic movie.

Guest slaXor420

This isn't a remake of the original Shinobi.

It is infact the live action version of the anime mentioned earlier called Basilisk.

I think they just decided to make the English title Shinobi to help it sell better overseas/online to non-anime fans.

Guest melchevsky

Just my two cents . . .

I liked it. I would agree that it is on par with Azumi. Not great, but pretty entertaining. It shouldn't be $35 or whatever I paid for it.

Guest Daisho2004

OK I finally got to watch this movie, and let me start out by saying it had a very good storyline plot to it, but that is where it ends this movie Sucked, and there is nothing more to say than that, the CGI was way,way over the top, and the fight scenes were just plan stupid, one of the Ninjas was flying through the air on some kind of sleeve ropes like Spider man, give me a break on that one, every time I thought it was going to get better it got worse. I don't know who rated this movie as a Blockbuster but I guess they haven't seen that many movies to compare it to. I'm only glad that I paid $10.00 with s/h included. Otherwise I would be really pissed off, and I was really looking forward to this movie.

2nd. Anyone who compares this movie to Azumi is crazy Azumi was awesome, this movie doesn't even come close.

Guest melchevsky

Temper your opinions a bit Daisho.

If I had to bite my tongue at the guy who was agahst with how ordinary SPL was, then you can not get pissy over a minor comparison to another contemporary Japanese special effects oriented period piece.

Guest Roshi of Ako

Daisho, I agree with you all the way. I watched this movie last night and was VERY dissapointed. It is even worse than three SHINOBI movies released last years by ADV Films. The fact that they touched on Shakespeare in the script makes it not better. Were DORAHEITA, AFTER THE RAIN and TWILIGHT SAMRAI really the last good samurai movies made in Japan?

Guest Daisho2004

Roshi of Ako, I really liked the Shinobi movies made by ADV I thought they were well done, I know not a lot of people liked those films but maybe you should watch them again, I thought they had a really good story.

Guest Daisho2004

melchevsky, come on you can't even compare the 2 movies, Azumi was a really good movie yes, it did use CGI but not as much as Shinobi, and at least it had some Great fight scenes. Shinobi was just plain boring.

Guest melchevsky

I compare the two films based on the following:

- Contemparary Japanese Period Film

- Heavy CGI, wirework martial arts production

- Use of strange characters with strange powers

- uh, one word titles

- Ninja's

- Samuraii

- Prepubescent kids in rags

- Transgender swordsman

- Old people who are jerks

- Running amok in forests

The two are very comparable.

I digress, I do like Azumi better. But I feel like a pederast every time I watch it.

Ultimately, when it comes to Azumi, my problem is Azumi. So what she is kinda cute and now I am supposed to declare that the movie is great? Look, if you have access to this message board, then you have access to the internet, go look at whatever girls you want, it's all there for you. Why should I want little girls to be my action hero of choice?

The strength with Azumi is the other characters (not necessarily the prebubescent boys that run around in rags weeping incesantly). But, these characters are such a small part of the film that I can't watch the thing without feeling ripped off. Azumi (the girl) uses the same horizontal sword slash over and over and looks like she will fall over at any moment. If they edited her out and just had two hours of monkey ninja versus guy with three barrel gun, than it would be great.

Guest Daisho2004

melchevshy, 1st. off lets get one thing clear, I didn't like Azumi just for the girl, yeah she was cute but so are a lot of other women who are in Action movies, so when you start to say go look for women who are on the interent where are you going with this, because that is totally way off topic here when you compared the 2 movies. So do me a favor and stick to what the topic was about, and not something Stupid!

2nd. What strange powers did anyone in Azumi really have?

And yes it did have CGI but nothing like Shinobi, not even close. Maybe you need to watch this movie over again a few times before you compare them.

3rd. You really should watch what you say when you said that you feel like a (pederast) everytime you watch that movie. That is just plain F@#$*@G Sick. Because people might take you the wrong way, JFYI.

Guest melchevsky

If someone really thinks my comments are literal, they shouldd invest in a fifth grade education and realize that sometimes comments are figurative, sarcastic, or in jest. If that particular area of commentary is a sore spot, it wasn't my intention to offend you.

Azumi, Twins effect, etc. that star little girls in skirts as action stars, are because people wish to look at little girls in skirts. It isn't an accident or a clever plot device. That is my general complaint about Azumi.

As far as strange powers . . . how about a 87lb. girl defeating 100 grown men. What is that just hard work and lot's of practice.

Look Daisho, yeah I was a bit defensive when you called me crazy because I compared these two films and you know that was just the moment and my bad. But, dude, this is a forum to discuss kung fu movies. Let's keep it civil.

Guest Daisho2004

melchevky, OK 1st. Off there was no ill intention by calling you Crazy, that was just my own opion on how you compared the 2 movies, sorry if you took it another way.

2nd. OK yeah she was able to kill men twice her size but how many movies do we see that, Look I really liked Azumi for the Storyline and Action, it was just pure entertainment, and look at the Lone Wolf & Cub series he killed a whole Army of Ninjas in some scenes, so why can't a woman do the same thing, if she has skills?

Azumi, Twins effect, etc. that star little girls in skirts as action stars, are because people wish to look at little girls in skirts. It isn't an accident or a clever plot device. That is my general complaint about Azumi.

Why should I want little girls to be my action hero of choice?

Um, Lady Snow Blood was one awesome movie, Come Drink with Me was a great classic, I don't see what having a hot lady in the lead has anything to do with if it's a good movie.

It's a good change up after watching all the bare-chested heroics, give the testosterone a break, let the ladys step up and take the spotlight everyonce in a while.

Guest Daisho2004

Thank you Tosh, for helping me out with this one. This topic was just about Shinobi 2005' and it just went way off course by some people.

Archived