The Batman (2022) - Robert Pattinson, Zoe Kravitz, Paul Dano, Jeffrey Wright, Colin Farrell

AlbertV

http://screencrush.com/442/files/2015/04/batman-vs-superman-batfleck-pic.jpg

Ben Affleck will return to the role of the 40+ year old Bruce Wayne and his alter ego, The Batman, in a solo film in which he is not only starring in, but will be directing and is co-writing with DC Entertainment President Geoff Johns.

The major villain of this film is going to be the assassin Slade Wilson, also known as Deathstroke. Joe Mangianello has signed on to the play the villain of the film that all began with a surprise video from Affleck himself.

Affleck has revealed that the film will begin shooting this coming Spring for a 2018 release date. Meanwhile, look for Affleck to return to Batman next year with Justice League.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 4

ShaOW!linDude

A wise move on his part. I like Affleck as a director, but he's correct in that it would divide his focus on this project. Smart guy.

• Like 1

Major update: Ben Affleck will no longer play Batman in the upcoming film The BatmanMatt Reeves, who will write and direct the film, has now revealed a Summer 2021 release date is set and that the film will take on a noirish take:

“It’s very much a point of view-driven, noir Batman tale. It’s told very squarely on his shoulders, and I hope it’s going to be a story that will be thrilling but also emotional. It’s more Batman in his detective mode than we’ve seen in the films.

The comics have a history of that. He’s supposed to be the world’s greatest detective, and that’s not necessarily been a part of what the movies have been. I’d love this to be one where when we go on that journey of tracking down the criminals and trying to solve a crime, it’s going to allow his character to have an arc so that he can go through a transformation.”

It was announced that Affleck will now "pass the torch" to a younger Bruce Wayne. 

• Like 2

Ben Affleck put the stamp on his Batman role...he's done. So who would you want to see as the new Batman?

When that was announced...this was leaked. A 2013 video of Scott Adkins auditioning to play the Caped Crusader. Now that Affleck is out...could we see Adkins as a potential candidate? Who knows at this point...either way, there will be a new Batman

• Like 2

Really interesting to hear the news/rumors of Pattinson playing Batman. He has stated in the past that he could easily play some comic character or star in more blockbusters but chooses to keep his focus on projects more artistic to him. Very interesting to me that he'd have a change of mind playing one of the most popular characters (if true). Though Ive also heard him express some frustration that the lesser known movies he stars in post-twilight dont gather much viewership, not even from some of his fanbase. Hes been a favorite actor of mine, strange to think of him as playing the bat, Im sure he'd do fine at it though.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I think with the movie being in the tone of a film noir,  Pattinson might be able to pull it off. As long as the suit doesn't sparkle in the light (had to make a Twilight joke there)  but he's done some good stuff. Liked him in Water for Elephants. 

• Like 3

I'm very interested in seeing how this Batman film turns out. Cannot speak for his acting ability(Sadly, I've only seen him in Twilight *Shutters*), but I think he might have the look to pull off a younger Batman. Cannot wait for a trailer to be released, so we can get some idea of what we are getting. 

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

Apparently, it's official: Robert Pattinson will be our new Batman/Bruce Wayne. Deadline have confirmed.

The other rumours floating around are that Catwoman and Penguin will be the antagonists (yawn) but this hasn't been confirmed yet. The Batman has a release date of June 25th, 2021.

• Like 4

The deal signed is for Pattinson to star in a new trilogy that will revolve around Batman's early days as a budding "detective". Sounds likes Reeves is going for the 1939-40's Batman era with the noir feel. Could work for "Pattman" (we had Batfleck, so it's fitting that we have "Pattman").

• Like 5

Drunken Monk
1 minute ago, AlbertV said:

The deal signed is for Pattinson to star in a new trilogy that will revolve around Batman's early days as a budding "detective". Sounds likes Reeves is going for the 1939-40's Batman era with the noir feel. Could work for "Pattman" (we had Batfleck, so it's fitting that we have "Pattman").

Thankfully, it won't be an origin tale. Reeves has essentially said that this version of Batman will be at the height of his abilities. Young, strong, an amazing detective. So won't be wet behind the ears and he won't be old and creaky either.

• Like 6

Secret Executioner

Guess what @Drunken Monk said a while back turned out true - another movie with the same old villains (not hating those guys, but I feel like the same villains keep returning in Batman mvoies).

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Secret Executioner said:

Guess what @Drunken Monk said a while back turned out true - another movie with the same old villains (not hating those guys, but I feel like the same villains keep returning in Batman mvoies).

Well, having the same villains is fine, as long as they take them in an interesting and unique direction. Like how Telltale did with Penguin in their Batman game. Now i'm  not saying to completely change the character(Like Roland in that awful Dark Tower movie), but just take a new spin on an existing idea. 

• Like 1

Well for the record, it is not official that Catwoman will actually be in the film,  but with six villains,  it's highly possible. 

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
34 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

but with six villains,

I guess it will have a harder time handling its villains than Spiderman 3...

The only way I see this working well would be if it was some kind of anthology film, with each segment focusing on one villain.

Actually, that would be pretty cool for a comic book/superhero movie, and if they want to make the most of it, each segment should have a different director delivering his/her vision of the character - like you can have a goofy, full-on Silver Age segment, a noirish early (as in 1940s) Batman story, hommages to famous stories (from the comics or other media, like the cartoons), even (loose) adaptations of Elseworlds stories with Batman from different time periods, classic stories adapted to fit Batman in them (Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. HydeNosferatu) or non-linear Batman stories (the vampire trilogy where Batman fights Dracula and becomes a vampire preying on his rogues).

• Like 2

rabbitman.jpg

I believe that it will have a more "noirish take" with Batman in his early days as a detective and not the dark brooding Dark Knight or Caped Crusader, so I'm thinking more humble beginnings. Would be cool if he wrote the suit above as well.

I did hear these will be the six villains:

• Riddler
  • Two-Face
  • The Penguin
  • Catwoman
  • Firefly
  • The Mad Hatter

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/villains-batman-revealed/

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

They can do six villains as long as they do some world building. Look at Gotham. That show featured plenty of villains and it worked very well. If they can world build like that within, say, two hours, they could have something interesting on their hands.

• Like 2

Some details on The Batman have popped up recently:

According to Kevin Smith, he heard from a reliable source that the graphic novel The Long Halloween will be the basis for The Batman. The book is set during Batman's beginnings as a master detective who is tracking a serial killer who strikes during the holidays. Jeph Loeb wrote the original graphic novel. (GeekTyrant)

Jeffrey Wright, whose voice will be that of the Watcher in the upcoming What If? series for Marvel and Disney+, is in negotiations to play the new Commissioner James Gordon and Jonah Hill is in negotiations to play one of the villains...but before you can say "Penguin", it is actually "the Riddler" he may end up playing. (Dark Horizons)

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2