Blind Fury

Guest Daisho2004

Guest Daisho2004

I had posted this a while back so I thought I would re post it, since I see we have a lot more fans of Zatoichi lately.

BLIND FURY is based on the series of Japanese movies made during the 1960s that featured Zatoichi, a wandering blind swordfighter. Updated and Americanized by scriptwriter Charles Robert Carner and director Phillip Noyce, Zatoichi is now Nick Parker (Rutger Hauer), a soldier blinded in action in the Vietnam War and nursed back to health by Vietnamese villagers. Nick develops an acute sense of hearing and, in spite of his disability, becomes a master swordsman--all during the opening credits.

BLIND FURY retains the mixture of humor, violence, and sentiment that characterized the original films. Left in charge of young Billy Devereaux (Brandon Call) after the death of his mother, Nick takes Billy across the United States by bus. However, the pair is menaced by overwhelming numbers of vicious thugs led by Slag (Randall "Tex" Cobb, who plays the bounty hunter in the Coen brothers’ RAISING ARIZONA) on the journey. Nick, of course, handles these predicaments with casual skill, luck, good humor, and his trusty hidden samurai sword.

My Review:OK for those of you who haven't seen this movie it is a really good movie, I'm a Huge Zatoichi Fan and I've been trying to get this movie for a while now and its definitely worth adding to your Samurai Collection, the end fight scene alone is worth it when he fights Sho Kosugi. The only bad thing about this movie is they should've made a sequel. And had a longer fight with Sho Kosugi.

Guest limubai2000

I like this one alot too. I even double dipped to get a better print of it. Really enjoyed this film alot, its not quite great but a good solid action film with some stylish substance in there.

jiujitsu77

this is what got my dad into zatoichi.

this movie is seriously awesome. hauer is amazing in this role.

your right....this should have been a series. for real. maybe back then it was a little too early for such a thought of a franchise, but hell...especially with the DTV market, this could mean a great new american take on the zatoichi films. i have never heard a zatoichi or MA movie fan say a bad thing about this film

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I have to be honest, I thought this movie was NOT very good, entertaining yes. Rutger Hauer is awesome. Blade Runner proved that.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Very enjoyable. And great choreography for an American production!

After BLADE RUNNER I thought Rutger Hauer was going to be HUGE. I wonder if he had a bad agent, poor taste in scripts, of maybe was difficult to get along with, because he certainly didn't break out like I thought he would. But he is terrific in this.

We saw Rutger Hauer in a very poor man's version of The Poseidon Adventure the other day and the first thing my mother said was "It's that guy who played the blind swordsman" LOL...Blind Fury is definitely a great film and nice cameo by Sho Kosugi. Did anyone notice that Tim "Animal House's Otter" Matheson produced the film?

jiujitsu77

that's all matheson does now is produce

thought the same thing when i saw it though

animal house house house

nobody ever went to class

and then we saw donald sutherland's ass

house house house

Rutger Hauer may have not broke out into the mainstream but he had a very impressive run in the biz, and he's still making movies.

I've seen this but damn if I can remeber it at the moment.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Overly predictable, tired jokes and gags, boring choreo, sappy and sentimental, hated every scene with that kid from Step By Step.....! It's not like I wouldn't expect all of these things from an 80's HLWD movie.... but this just felt extra tired and uninspired to me!

daisho2004

TibetanWhiteCrane: Maybe you need to give this movie another tryout! Yes it had some Cheesy moments but that was in the beginning in the Bar room brawl, and I like how it showed how he learned to fight when he got Blinded that was something totally cool. I felt he shoulda made a sequel to this movie! For an American Movie based on a Japanese series that is totally Awesome. I thought it did a lot of Respect & Justice to the Zatoichi movies!

jiujitsu77

daisho....you are totally correct. as much as i respect white crane's opinions, i have to strongly disagree with this one. i personally love this film. seriously crane, give it another shot. you might get a kick out of it

oh and daisho...check out my "ichisploitation" thread and let me know if you have any input

TibetanWhiteCrane

I watched it less than a week ago on TV, and I still thought it was crap!

I love 80's cheese, and im not biased towards american MA flicks per se (although I watch them for different reasons, and enjoy them on another level than the asian ones). But I still couldn't get into this movie!

I've tried.... it didn't take!

OK I was digging threw my movies the other day and I had to pull this one out and watch it again. And for some reason "TWC" I can't understand why you really didn't like this movie it had a lot of Action in it. Yes some Cheesy moments but so did so many 80's movies at that time! I think that Hollywood really did a great job in Honor of the Classic Zatoichi movies with this version. I mean the Shô Kosugi Fight was really good, I just wish it could've been a little better. I didn't like the way he died at the end getting Electrocuted. I really would've liked to seen a few more sequels being made.

dionbrother

I prefer BLIND JUSTICE, the other American Zatoichi movie, with Armand Assante as a blind gunfighter. Much more successful in pulling off the concept.

I really like Blind Fury despite the cheese factor. I remember seeing it in the theater back in the day and enjoying the hell out of it. I also own the DVD but haven't watched in awhile. Definitely gonna check it out again sometime soon.

I did like the Hauer-Sho Kosugi duel even thought it was short, but it is always great to see Sho again and cannot wait to see Ninja Assassin in November.

They used to play a version on TV with alternate and extended scenes... haven't seen it in YEARS though. For example, I remember when the kid gives Hauer the finger when he meets him... on TV, it was an alternate take in which he sticks his tongue out at him, yet Hauer does the same thing, freaking him out.