Best Zatoichi movie

Guest lemming

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
question:

do i have to watch the Zatoichi films in chronological order?ive always wanted 2 start on em, i just found out theres 26 (27 including the terrible looking new one,right?) and I wanted to know if its better 2 start on 1. I need Zatoichi vs One-Armed Swordsmen to complete my OAS collection...

Not really, but it would be nice. They do tie in together fairly well. Yes you need Zatoichi vs the One Armed Swordsman to cpmplete the collection. It's one of the best of the series IMO.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just watched Zatoichi vs Yojimbo (a VHS version I rented from Facets Video years ago with waaay better english translations than AnimEgo's) This film is bleak. The bleakest of the series IMO. An excellent storyline and all the characters in the film deliver. I love this film. Definitely one of my faves of the series.

daisho2004

JFYI: Out of the 26 Zatoichi movies made #16 Zatoichi's Pilgrimage is the only one that never got a legit release! If you wondering why I heard it had something to do with his Family and the rights to this one movie, pretty stupid! But Merlin over @SamuraiDVD.com did obtain a remastered print and subtitled it himself, so you need to add that to complete your entire collection.

Omni Dragon

What do people think the best Zatoichi fight is?

daisho2004
jrcxma: What do people think the best Zatoichi fight is?

This is a very hard question to answer there are so many fights scenes that are great that it really is almost impossible to give you an answer!

kungfusamurai

The great thing about the Zatoichi films is that Shintaro Katsu displays the highest quality swordsmanship in all of them. There are some that are more interesting than others, like when he has to go one on one against a Samurai. Those fights usually require multiple swings of the sword, whereas whenever he kills the Yakuza henchmen or the Oyabun (boss), it's one quick swing without much resistance.

One of the more interesting fighting moments I watched recently was in the TV series. I think it was the second last season where the final fight scene starts with him masquerading as a local official Zatoichi had befriended and was being forced to turn in Zatoichi to some corrupt governor and his men. He's wearing the triangle had low, so you can't see his face, he's wearing the man's uniform, and he's got the man's katana in his belt. The men who surround him think it's the official, and then Zatoichi let's loose, fighting with the sword in the normal manner (up instead of down), cutting down about 6 guys! It was really cool, like watching Wakayama Tomisaborou in action. He even does as spin of the sword to turn it backwards and stab the guy behind him. Eventually he starts fighting in the usual manner (sword down), but it was pretty cool for those first 10 seconds watching him fight like his Lone Wolf & Cub brother.

KFS

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Some of his more challenging duels with main adversaries were in Samaritan, I think this is the end fight where he is trying to keep an inspector from killing someone who dosen't deserve to die, the fight is while it's snowing and Zato has a very close call with him. Vengeance was always a personal fave. Meets the One Armed Swordsman is really good fighting throughout. The Chess Expert is great too. His fight with his actual brother tomisaburo in The Chest Of Gold, being dragged about by him while on horseback is pretty good too. There are a few more I can't remember them right now, but they are all pretty good. The Tv series, as kungfusamurai pointed out, is really good.

Omni Dragon

yeah thank 4 tellin me the best fight.

any other people may suggest their favourite fights as well.

daisho2004

Again this is just a matter of preference you have to watch them all and decide which one you like the best. We all have our favorite movies so its only natural we all have our favorite fight scenes. I think Zatoichi 89' had some of the best fight scenes as well as being in my opinion one of the best films. Also "Festival of Fire" was great.

odioustrident

I don't know anything about Zatoichi films. Do the HK/Taiwanese Zatoichi movies have a different choreography style or more action compared to the Japanese stuff?

Omni Dragon

How good is the 2003 Zatoichi?

daisho2004

Totally different type of Zatoichi movie more darker I liked it, but again you'll either hate it or love it! Nothing like the originals.

Omni Dragon
Totally different type of Zatoichi movie more darker I liked it, but again you'll either hate it or love it! Nothing like the originals.

from a trailer i see there is a lot more blood.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

The episode I was referring to was actually Zatoichi Challenged. The government official samurai who wants to destroy the young artist insists on carrying out his duty. The end fight is one of the very best in the series. the fights where zato looks like he may very well lose the duel are of course the more entertaining. But, it wasn't Samaritan, though a good film, it was Challenged I thought had one of his best fight scenes. real good story too.

Guest WuxiaFan
from a trailer i see there is a lot more blood.

ZATOICHI (2003) was one of my all time favorites. Beat's Zatoichi is different than Katsu's, but I thought he did a great job. The blood is all CGI, which is why a lot of people don't like it. Ultimately, Shintaro Katsu IS Zatoichi.

Archived