Best Zatoichi movie

Guest lemming

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only watched the first five released by HVE so far, and I would say that IMO #2 was maybe a bit weaker than the others, 1, 3 and 4 were equally awesome, and #5 (On the Road) would probably be my favorite. The final battle between the two gangs in the dusty, deserted town ranks up there with any action movie, IMO. Also, I've rewound the rice-ball picnic scene about 20 times---incredible filmmaking. The widest spectrum of human emotions and interactions possible all in a span of about 15 seconds.

Guest orresearch

The first one is probably the best one, where his character is carefully crafted. The other good ones are "Zatoichi, Jigoku Tabi" where he ran into the villain who never wanted to lose in chess and sword matches, and "Zatoichi, Kesho Tabi" in which he was helping an orphan home.

Cheers,

W

Guest razorclam

I've seen the first 8, and part 4 is the best for action. Parts 5 and 6 are also very good. I like them all, but those are my favorites.

Guest gau dog

I've seen pretty much all the ones off of IFC and my favorites are:

Zatoichi On the Road

Zatoichi's Revenge

Zatoichi Challenged

I usually see Zatoichi Challenged as the best.

My favorites -

The Festival of Fire (Nakadai and Katsu is all that needs to be said)

I really liked #8 with the kid and the blind mans pilgrimage.

The first one will always have a place in my heart, especially since it was the first one I saw.

The hve disks sometimes have a coolass poster. I've framed two of them in bamboo so far.

z.jpg

That looks great, Tosh. I've thought of doing that with my Zatoichi posters, but never got around to it---I'll have to do it!

Thanks man, acually my friends mom owns a frame shop, so she did it, I've got a horizontal one on the way.

I wish they did this with all movies, great bonus when spending $ on dvd's.

Guest Daisho2004

That is a good idea about the posters, I never thought of the Bamboo.

Now as for the best movie that is tough. I really love them all but "Festival of Fire" I thought was really, really good, and "Zaotichi 89' might have been the highlight of all the movies.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I can't believe no-ones mentioned Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo.

Any true Zatoichi fan must possess all his films, for pretty much every movie Shintaro Katsu has done kicks ass!

Here's a few of my faves though;

Zatoichi meets Yojimbo

Blind Swordsman's Vengeance (w/ the blind biwa playing priest)

Zatoichi and The Fugitives ( I love this film)

Zatoichi On The Road

Zatoichi Meets The One-Armed Swordsman

Fight Zatoichi Fight!

The Tale of Zatoichi Continues (w/ Tomisaburo Wakayama his real life brother)

Zatoichi: The Festival Of Fire (only because Tatsuya Nakadai is in the film)

I should be receiving Shin No Shikoutei in a couple of days. This film stars Shintaro Katsu and Ichikawa Raizo (Sleepy Eyes Of Death). I can't wait to see this film. It has a warning on the DVD cover of excessive violence. COOL...

Guest Jushinshin

I hate to tell you, but the violence is pretty tame in Shin Shikote. There's a couple of limb cleavings, and there's some mass combat sequences, but the violence isn't much of an aspect and the swordplay isn't at the same standard as that of the Zatoichi series.

It's still a good movie though.

That's too bad.

Hopefully the acting and story make up for it. I just like the idea of seeing those two actors in the same film.

Guest Jushinshin

Well, if you like the two of them together...

They're only onscreen together for about two or three minutes. Raizo plays the part of the assassin, Katsu is the emporer of qin.

Guest Daisho2004

I have all 3 disks of the series that have been released so far and they are Great, most episodes run about 45min. but some of them are better than some of the full length movies, definitely pick them up.

Guest Jushinshin

vengeanceofhumanlanterns, it's not bad at all, it's just not an action movie, not by any means.

It's a pompous historical drama, the type of thing that Cecil B. Demile liked to do. It's well staged and the performances are emmaculate, especially Shintaro Katsu's. But there's not that much action, as it's just not a big part of the story (at least not a big part of the way they tell it).

Thanks Jushinshin, I know I'll appreciate the film.

That's too bad they hype the film though.

Omni Dragon

My fave would have to be Zatoichi Meets The One-Armed Swordsman also it was the 1st Zatiochi i saw but i wish the end fight ended in a draw.

Guest WuxiaFan
My fave would have to be Zatoichi Meets The One-Armed Swordsman also it was the 1st Zatiochi i saw but i wish the end fight ended in a draw.

Other than Zatoich 1 and 2, my favorites are Zatoich and the Chess Expert and Zatoichi's Cane Sword (forgot the numbers off the top-knot of my head).

kungpowmaster

I LOVE Zatoichi movies. I have quite a few. I have not seen them all. I don't know if I can pick a favorite of them all, as to me, they are all quite high quality and great. I liked Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo alot. I thought his last one was very good too. I just can't pick one.

kungfusamurai

I would recommend them all, but I'd say leave the '89 movie last because it's not all that great (at least, I didn't like it as much). Some of the early 70s stuff is also kind of weak, but still worth getting. Its the 1960s movies that are the ones to get. Also, the TV series is top notch. Unfortunately, they won't be getting a release here in North America any time soon (except for the first series from '74). They seem to be all well made stories right up to the last season he did it.

KFS

kungpowmaster

My 1st Zatoichi was the Katsu's last one. I saw it on sale, and the 1st 2DVD set of the TV series on sale at the same time, and picked them up. I loved it. Then later I saw the Beat Zatoichi on TV, and thought it was very well done as well, though I just like Shintaro a whole lot, in everything I've seen him in, well not much have I seen, beyond his Zatoichis, and Incident at Blood Pass. But anyway, I was bitten by the Zatoichi bug, and bought up all the ones I found on sale at stores and online, and bought the 1-4 box set at Borders, and have been loving every movie of these I have seen. Yes, some are better and stand out more than others, but I just like his character and acting so well, and the swordplay is awesome too.

lillippa328

question:

do i have to watch the Zatoichi films in chronological order?ive always wanted 2 start on em, i just found out theres 26 (27 including the terrible looking new one,right?) and I wanted to know if its better 2 start on 1. I need Zatoichi vs One-Armed Swordsmen to complete my OAS collection...

kungpowmaster

I would not call the Beat one "terrible", it was very decent, if not quite good, to me. But it's not the classic Zatoichi.

Archived