Master of the Shadowless Kick Wong Kei-ying & Master of the Drunken Fist Beggar So (2016) - Corey Yuen's HBO Kung Fu Films

Drunken Monk

Looks gawd awful! Why have the plots and action become so predictable? There needs to be a new take on HK action cinema. Why has it come to this? Give me Iron Monkey any day over this junk. I will have to check out Beggar So, but surely will be the same. 

Edit:

say what, $15 each on iTunes. highway robbery if you ask me. :smile at least i will be saving $30 to spend on some old school dvd or blu-ray films. 

Edited by reason108
  • Like 3

Have only seen the first 20 odd minutes so can't say to much,production values look good but why oh why can't they do a Kung fu fight without any f..cking wire shit in my opinion this is what is killing the martial arts output from the Far East but saying that I will still watch.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2017 at 2:06 PM, laagi said:

Both movies are up for pre-order on iTunes (US) and will be available on January 24th. Geoblocking is really a nuisance :hvb_raging:

On 1/26/2017 at 2:22 AM, reason108 said:

say what, $15 each on iTunes. highway robbery if you ask me. :smile at least i will be saving $30 to spend on some old school dvd or blu-ray films. 

Also available on Google Play and Amazon Video for the same price.

That is more expensive (on Google Play) that recent releases like Ip Man 3, Train To Busan, Rise of the Legend, The Wailing, The Bodyguard (Sammo's), Call of Heroes, The Monkey King 2, etc,.

• Like 1

I watched the 'Beggar So' over the weekend.....wasted 2 hrs of my life:bs_bummed:!  Nothing here to see...Move on!

Drunken Style is probably one of my favorite 'shapes' & I was looking forward to giving this an airing, (big up James Kees for the rip!) boy was I disappointed by the end. I won't bother mentioning the story, it was all about the action and there is nothing there, wires are used everywhere and the fights lack dynamism & for me, what makes a good fight is the sound effects, this uses none, a punch sounds like a kick & a kick sounds like a punch:wondering. If this is the way 'kung fu movies' are going, you can keep it!!

2/5

• Like 1

Oh dear, watched both and I can't recommend any of them.Boring seen it all before choreography with the usual amount of wire s..t which now seems to be the norm.Decent sets and production values but if I was you I'd not bother,if this is the best they can do when it comes to Kung fu entertainment they should give up?

• Like 2

Excellent artícle!!! Hung on to every word of it. Glad that at least one of them isn't universally hated, as some posts here would indicate.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I recently wrote a feature that covers both movies, along with the broader question of why HBO decided to make them in the first place.  Check it out here - 

http://cityonfire.com/hbo-the-new-home-of-kung-fu-master-of-the-shadowless-kick-wong-kei-ying-master-of-the-drunken-fist-beggar-so/

Great article,and very imformative.

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer

It's been confirmed that 2 more movies are on the way.  Update added to my original feature - 

http://cityonfire.com/hbo-the-new-home-of-kung-fu-master-of-the-shadowless-kick-wong-kei-ying-master-of-the-drunken-fist-beggar-so/

Updates: Making good on their promise to produce more kung fu, it’s been reported that the vice president of the China Movie Channel, Zhang Ling, has confirmed they’ll be making 2 more movies with HBO.

Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter shortly before the China Night Party took place as part of the Cannes Film Festival, Ling had this to say – “We were very pleased with how our first collaboration turned out, so we are very happy to be partnering with HBO on two more high-quality TV movies that celebrate Chinese culture and history.” While no further details were provided, based on Beibei Fan’s comments from 2016, expectations are that once again each movie will be a stand-alone story of a martial arts hero from Chinese history.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlbertV said:

I pre-ordered both on Blu-ray a few days ago along with League of Gods & Boyka: Undisputed 4.

An added bonus for me is that they both includes Digital Copy.

• Like 3

Both Master of the White Crane Fist: Wong Yan-Lam and Master of the Nine Dragon Fist: Wong Ching-Ho were scheduled for release on February 20th and 21st, 2019. Has anyone seen these movies?

• Like 4