Call of Heroes (2016)

Drunken Monk

Has anybody else seen this yet? Call me easily pleased but I watched it yesterday and thought it was excellent. I was really surprised by Sammo's choreography in this one. Yes, there is a lot of wire-work but the grounded stuff is really great. Some of Sammo's best work, recently, I'd say. He even makes Sammy Hung look amazing with some seriously flashy tonfa work.
Louis Koo may bring the film down a bit with his schlocky "look how villainous I am" performance but everyone else does a stellar job here. I was even impressed by Eddy Peng, a new comer to the scene. Even Wu Jing does the best he's done in a while in "Call of Heroes".

A urge everyone to seek this one out. It might not be everyone's cup of tea. Like I said, there are wires and moments of CGI. But, beyond that, everything else is excellent. The plot works, the drama hits and the action is super enjoyable.

• Like 5

I saw it and I totally agree. I thought Koo was total insanity but that's in part to the fact in some aspect, he was a "spoiled brat" because of who his father is. It was overall great...I also like Eddie Peng. Sammo Hung made the right call to make him his godson and even Sammy Hung impressed me as the tonfa fighter of Lau's team.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2016/11/23/review-call-of-heroes-2016/

• Like 3

I read all the reviews on amazon, and a lot of people were complaining that the subtitles were 7-10 seconds off from the movie.. is this something they corrected before the DVD was released? Or was this just an issue with people renting it via streaming? 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2016 at 7:18 PM, KCN9NE said:

I read all the reviews on amazon, and a lot of people were complaining that the subtitles were 7-10 seconds off from the movie.. is this something they corrected before the DVD was released? Or was this just an issue with people renting it via streaming? 

I bought the Blu-Ray and experienced no subtitle problems whatsoever.

• Like 3

Unfortunately I've yet to watch it and might not for a while. My eyesight isn't that great since an accident and it makes it very hard to watch a subbed movie. :monk_crying:Bought it to support the genre 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

where can i get this? usual places?

It's available on the US Amazon now in DVD or Blu-Ray format. The Hong Kong version is available at www.dddhouse.com too. It'll be released in the UK on January 2nd.

• Like 3

Saw this movie and thought it was good as well. Good fights!

I watched the Cantonese audio version and thought the dubbing of Wu Jing and Eddie Peng was laughable. 

• Like 3

sifu iron perm
6 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

It's available on the US Amazon now in DVD or Blu-Ray format. The Hong Kong version is available at www.dddhouse.com too. It'll be released in the UK on January 2nd.

thanks! I'll wait for the UK release. Around the corner.

I liked the movie as a whole, but would never recommended it for the fights. I guess if you like all that flying wire-fu, you'll be pleased, but to me it was the biggest flaw of the movie.

BTW, not just the fights were wire-assisted, all the jumps and moves that required any physical effort were wire-assisted, too. It's like they wanted to beat Flying dragon, hidden tiger

• Like 4

• Administrator
18 hours ago, D1 Ma said:

I liked the movie as a whole, but would never recommended it for the fights. I guess if you like all that flying wire-fu, you'll be pleased, but to me it was the biggest flaw of the movie.

BTW, not just the fights were wire-assisted, all the jumps and moves that required any physical effort were wire-assisted, too. It's like they wanted to beat Flying dragon, hidden tiger

I agree with everything D1 Ma said.

After hearing a lot of good stuff about this through reviews and fellow fans I picked up the Blu-ray. The story and acting are definitely the high points. I enjoyed the moral quandary the plot presented, and was definitely invested in seeing how the characters would handle the dire situations they were put in. The antics of Koo's mad-with-power character didn't bother me, but he did feel very modern-day to me, and not like someone that existed within the time period depicted. The first action scene, though played in part for laughs, definitely made me sit up and pay attention. It had wire-enhancements, but was still cool enough that I was on board with it's amped-up style. I even rewound one of the moves a couple of times to admire it, and thought "Damn Sammo (the film's fight choreographer), you've still got it!" Sadly, for me, basically each action scene became more and more ridiculous and poorly done. By the time we get to the can't-wait-for-it match-up between two particular characters, it's so over "enhanced" with ridiculous-looking moves that I felt hardly any excitement from the fight. Too many edits and disorienting switches in camera position. Even more distracting, this sequence is backed by an on-going, unconvincing CGI catastrophe that's supposed to up the ante and create more suspense. Instead I was simply disappointed. To add insult to injury, in the special features it's mentioned that this fight was supposed to be Sammo's revisiting of the weapons duel magic of his classic ODD COUPLE. Oh, really? How embarrassing. Any random 20 seconds of any fight from that 1979 film blows away this entire battle in CALL OF HEROES. Worse yet, when you see the actors performing action in the behind the scenes shots, free of the over-done editing, it is clear that they were putting their all into the sequence, and that it would've been so much better had it been presented differently.

Another downside is that Lau Ching-Wan never felt believable to me as a capable martial artist. Not for one second. He just doesn't posses that certain something to realistically convey that he has those skills. I've seen countless non-fighters that were made to appear formidable on-screen, with Sammo Hung seemingly the king of choreographers when it comes to pulling this off. But not with Lau. Strange because the guy is a wonderful actor, but I suppose he's just not a "physical person" or something. Nothing in his performance helped me believe he could pull off even the most basic of punch throws, let alone that he was a master fighter.

During one sequence some of the heroes are caught in a harrowing trap with out-of-control-fire, spikes blocking them in, and enemy soldiers surrounding them. It seemed like a can't-go-wrong set-up for a great scene. But then out comes a CGI bullwhip. Sigh.

Now to be fair, there are some cool action bits throughout, including the sequence a few people mentioned above, where Sammy Hung fights with the tonfas. But for me, overall, it was a big disappointment. I was first drawn to Hong Kong cinema by it's incredible, imaginative, jaw-dropping action, and was willing to put up with (oftentimes) sub-par acting, stories, etc. This film is exactly the opposite! Maybe the filmmakers are catering to local audiences that perhaps do like this type of action? For me though, it's a horrible trend.

40 minutes into this I was thinking "I've got to lend this to my son." However, once the film was over, my tune had changed to "I don't think I'll be watching this one again."

I give it a 5.5 out of 10.

• Like 6

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I agree with everything D1 Ma said.

After hearing a lot of good stuff about this through reviews and fellow fans I picked up the Blu-ray. The story and acting are definitely the high points. I enjoyed the moral quandary the plot presented, and was definitely invested in seeing how the characters would handle the dire situations they were put in. The antics of Koo's mad-with-power character didn't bother me, but he did feel very modern-day to me, and not like someone that existed within the time period depicted. The first action scene, though played in part for laughs, definitely made me sit up and pay attention. It had wire-enhancements, but was still cool enough that I was on board with it's amped-up style. I even rewound one of the moves a couple of times to admire it, and thought "Damn Sammo (the film's fight choreographer), you've still got it!" Sadly, for me, basically each action scene became more and more ridiculous and poorly done. By the time we get to the can't-wait-for-it match-up between two particular characters, it's so over "enhanced" with ridiculous-looking moves that I felt hardly any excitement from the fight. Too many edits and disorienting switches in camera position. Even more distracting, this sequence is backed by an on-going, unconvincing CGI catastrophe that's supposed to up the ante and create more suspense. Instead I was simply disappointed. To add insult to injury, in the special features it's mentioned that this fight was supposed to be Sammo's revisiting of the weapons duel magic of his classic ODD COUPLE. Oh, really? How embarrassing. Any random 20 seconds of any fight from that 1979 film blows away this entire battle in CALL OF HEROES. Worse yet, when you see the actors performing action in the behind the scenes shots, free of the over-done editing, it is clear that they were putting their all into the sequence, and that it would've been so much better had it been presented differently.

Another downside is that Lau Ching-Wan never felt believable to me as a capable martial artist. Not for one second. He just doesn't posses that certain something to realistically convey that he has those skills. I've seen countless non-fighters that were made to appear formidable on-screen, with Sammo Hung seemingly the king of choreographers when it comes to pulling this off. But not with Lau. Strange because the guy is a wonderful actor, but I suppose he's just not a "physical person" or something. Nothing in his performance helped me believe he could pull off even the most basic of punch throws, let alone that he was a master fighter.

During one sequence some of the heroes are caught in a harrowing trap with out-of-control-fire, spikes blocking them in, and enemy soldiers surrounding them. It seemed like a can't-go-wrong set-up for a great scene. But then out comes a CGI bullwhip. Sigh.

Now to be fair, there are some cool action bits throughout, including the sequence a few people mentioned above, where Sammy Hung fights with the tonfas. But for me, overall, it was a big disappointment. I was first drawn to Hong Kong cinema by it's incredible, imaginative, jaw-dropping action, and was willing to put up with (oftentimes) sub-par acting, stories, etc. This film is exactly the opposite! Maybe the filmmakers are catering to local audiences that perhaps do like this type of action? For me though, it's a horrible trend.

40 minutes into this I was thinking "I've got to lend this to my son." However, once the film was over, my tune had changed to "I don't think I'll be watching this one again."

I give it a 5.5 out of 10.

I can understand the distaste for the Wu Jing versus Eddy Peng fight. It's actually one of the choppiest action sequences in the whole film. Shame really as it should be a highlight. I wondered why Sammo (if it was Sammo) resorted to such frantic editing and bad close ups during that particular fight. I felt like the rest of the strayed away from that for the most part.

I respect your opinion, @KUNG FU BOB. I don't think "Call of Heroes" is going to be everyone's cup of tea, especially with the constant negativity towards wire-work on these boards, lately. Sorry your viewing wasn't as pleasant as some of ours!

• Like 4

• Administrator
On 1/3/2017 at 3:00 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I can understand the distaste for the Wu Jing versus Eddy Peng fight. It's actually one of the choppiest action sequences in the whole film. Shame really as it should be a highlight. I wondered why Sammo (if it was Sammo) resorted to such frantic editing and bad close ups during that particular fight. I felt like the rest of the strayed away from that for the most part.

I respect your opinion, @KUNG FU BOB. I don't think "Call of Heroes" is going to be everyone's cup of tea, especially with the constant negativity towards wire-work on these boards, lately. Sorry your viewing wasn't as pleasant as some of ours!

Yes, a shame that out of all the fights, that one was the most poorly edited. I agree that most of the other stuff was shot better, but the lead not looking capable was really a sore point for me.

Thanks @Drunken Monk, I feel the same way about your opinions. Most people seem to like the film a lot more than me, so I don't want to dissuade others from watching it. I'm just sharing my thoughts on it.

• Like 3

Since I am much more a fan of 90s new wave-martial arts movies than the classic easterns I really was excited about the fight scenes in CALL OF HEROES. Even wire-fu can be done masterfully (as it was done here) or in the sloppy, implausible and uninteresting way it's so often done in the last years (prime examples are WU DANG and even Yuen Wo-Pings TRUE LEGEND). Great movie, CALL OF HEROES, as a whole cinematic package maybe the best martial arts-movie since years.

• Like 4

On 3.1.2017 at 7:15 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Just saw this and also find it hard to chime in with the overall positive verdicts the film received from a lot of crits. I mean, the guy who wrote the review for Twitch (er, Screen Anarchy that should be) raving about "excellent action sequences and as little CGI as possible" must have seen a different film than me. But first off, CALL OF HEROES does have its merits, no doubt. There's the cool, much touted Shaw Brothers references that are all over the place, from the storyline and choice of music down to Koo's turn as the daft, insanely giggling evil bastard you just long to see impaled. Production design is also impressive, attention to period detail deserves a mention as well as the film's felicitous casting, there's great DP work with lots of sweeping vistas, well integrated aerial shots and some memorable long shots (nice lil' SEVEN SAMURAI reference in the scene where the "heroes" look down on the town in the valley below). In short: this is a film that's great to watch! And it should have been a film that I'm sold to in an instant. 

Alas... the longer it ran, the more detached I began to feel. And this had a lot to do with how the action unfolded. I concur with KFB that, taken as a whole, Sammo's action choreo was all over the place and certainly a far cry from his best. Nah, it wasn't the wires, we all should know that Sammo isn't a stranger to extremely exaggerated wirework (think BLADE OF FURY back in '93) and opposed to some here I have no problems whatsoever with OTT wirework (to me those people who profess to be HK film geeks and then routinely whine about any use of wires in a HK movie come across a bit like T-Pain fans with zero tolerance for Autotune!) Problem is the gravity-defying wirework employed here feels like it intends to rival the one shown in, say, CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON. But what Woo Ping did  in CROUCHING TIGER fitted the spirit of the film and looked graceful and elegant, here too often it comes across muppets-on-strings-like, computer-game-ish and borderline silly. Mind you, there’s still real flashes of brilliance in all this, some highly inventive set-ups (like the gadgets used for the bridge fight between Lau Ching Wan and Liu Kai Chi with Xing Yu’s gang of mercenaries) as well as some great choice of weapons. Furthermore Sammo's stunt team (all Mainlanders, judging by their names) perform same truly great stunts, in particular the guy doubling Koo who slammed through a double leaf door, across the balcony balustrade, rolls down the tiled roof and then takes a crazy-ass fall from the second floor.

The final battle pitching Peng with double broadswords against a spear-wielding Wu Jing on a mountain of empty vine vats whipped up a lot of excitement at first, but the execution (and admittably also the editing) of the fight is a serious let-down, making even the somewhat anticlimactic Peng / Sammo flaming warehouse showdown in RISE OF THE LEGEND look reasonably good in comparison. Another low-point here was the demise of Wong Jing's character who gets buried under a barrage of rolling vine vats, a scene marred by horrendously bad looking CGI that made me just gasp (didn’t they have a 32 million dollar production budget?). Which brings me to what I felt was the worst part of this film, the oftentimes truly lousy visual FX. Thankfully they didn't dish up geysers of CGI blood of the sort that made some of the action in THE TAKING OF TIGER MOUNTAIN look so damn’ hokey. But boy, those CGI-enhanced explosions in particular were a real turn-off, looking painfully goofy with the stunt guys pasted on the screen doing somersets that you think you’re watching some action cartoon. They even CGI-ed Wu Jing smashing the flying vine vats with his spear and it didn’t look good either. You wouldn't mind stuff like this much in a Stephen Chow vehicle like THE MERMAID (or in Sion Sono’s TOKYO TRIBE for that matter), but CALL OF HEROES wasn't designed as an action comedy. Benny Chan, please go watch Choi Dong Hoon's ASSASSINATION, that's how screen explosions should look like, those had impact because they looked terrifyingly real and the guys that were hit by the blasts weren’t flung through the air like rubber jumping jacks.

KFB already pointed out the shortcomings of Lau Ching Wan as a screen fighter (whose one fight scene in Benny Chan’s last movie WHITE STORM was also wooden and totally superfluous). I had less of a problem with his character’s CGI “enhanced” bull-whip action scenes here, but felt they should have given him a fighting sidekick who could sell the moves more convincingly like, say, Nick Cheung. Still, Lau carried the film as the leading man and anyway, acting-wise nobody can hold a candle to Lau Ching Wan in Chinese language cinema anyway (very few can elsewhere in cinema, if you ask me…) So altogether Call OF HEROES is a mixed bag at best and I found myself enjoying it far less than Chan’s heroic bloodshed homage WHITE STORM or his other Warlord period set effort SHAOLIN.

By the way, the CineAsia BD I picked up can't be recommended. Subs are too small and oftentimes they don't stay on the screen long enough. I mean, who needs the return of CineAsia if they can't even get that right.

Edited by Sheng
  • Like 2

I just saw this recently...Koo was over the top but I really enjoyed the film and didn't notice the length myself.  Highly recommended!

Laura

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer

I just got through watching this one, so thought I'd weigh in with my musings.  First of all, I approach any Benny Chan movie with a kind of excitable sense of dread.  When he gets it right, the guy can produce highly entertaining blockbusters, but nothing he's done post-2010 has really worked for me, with 'The White Storm' being an all time low.  I mean I felt embarrassed watching it.  So knowing that 'Call of Heroes' featured two of the main cast from that movie, Lau Ching Wan and Louis Koo, I kind of prepared myself for the worst.  Man, as the expression goes, you can simply never be too prepared.

Taking place in that famous era of Chinese history when everyone was a shade of Donald Trump orange, Chan has once again made the baffling choice to cast Lau Ching Wan in an action role.  Why!?  Can somebody please stop him.  Ching Wan is a great actor, but he's an abysmal action star.  He even looked embarrassed himself performing the action scenes in 'The White Storm', so how on earth did he return as the main star of an action vehicle!?  Here he's aided by a handy CGI bullwhip, but even basic stuff is ridiculously CGI'd.  In one scene there's a static shot of him sitting down with the camera facing, and he's twirling the bull whip round and round.  A simple setup, but even for this shot of him sitting in a chair the whip is CGI.  Dude, if Michelle Pfeiffer can whip the heads off a row of mannequins, couldn't you have at least learnt how to sit there and twirl it around in the air!?

The plot for 'Call of Heroes' is equally ridiculous.  Louis Koo is the son of a famous general, and he enjoys killing innocent people.  That's it.  No motivation.  No characterization.  No meaning.  Much like Aaron Kwok, Koo needs to be under a good director to get a good performance out of him, and also just like Aaron Kwok, here Chan has dragged a career low out of the forever-tanned one.  His role rivals Donnie Yen in 'The Monkey King' for pure irritation, with a constant quasi-villainous laugh and a stupid golden gun, every line that comes out of his mouth is completely idiotic.

Chan proves once more that he has no grasp whatsoever on how to film a dramatic scene.  One scene has the townsfolk begging Ching Wan as the town sheriff to free Koo from the prison he's holding him in, and it literally goes on forever.  I almost nodded off.  In another scene a character getting stabbed to death by a group of angry townsfolk is set to a sweeping score meant to fill us with joy, which is about as misguided as everything else in the movie.

Of course, as with all kung-fu movies, if the action is good, even though it would most likely be a push, it's possible all of the above could still be forgiven.  Forget about it.  The action is idiotic.  While Chan's script often feels like it was written by a 5 year old, some of the ideas found in the action scenes also seem to have come from the brain of a 5 year old.  In one particular scene Eddie Peng (who spends the whole movie trying to act charismatic, seemingly failing to understand that charisma can't be acted) leaps over a large vase of wine Ching Wan has been tied up and suspended over.  The way he cuts the rope, then at the same time prevents Ching Wan from falling into the vase directly underneath, actually made me shake my head in disbelief.  The best action scene though belongs to Wu Jing, who deserves an award for the most hilariously undignified exit from a movie I've possibly ever seen.

It's a shame, as Wu Jing is probably the best thing about 'Call of Heroes', and almost seems like he's in a different movie.  For some reason Chan always works great with Wu Jing, with his characters in Chan's 'Invisible Target' (2007), 'City Under Siege' (2010) & 'Shaolin' (2011) all being highlights, regardless of the quality of the rest of the movie.  For everyone else though, 'Call of Heroes' is a definite miss.  The only other actor who gets out alive is Sammo Hung's son Sammy Hung, who puts in a spirited performance with a pair of tonfas, but the fact that none of the main players register in a way that would make me ever watch this movie again, is probably a sign that it's time for me to quit Benny Chan movies for good.

• Like 5

I finally watched this. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought the fighting was good, especially from Sammy Hung (as everybody else has already said) and the first attempt to rescue Koo was the action highlight. I did like how Sammo gave each fight its own personality: drunken man vs. many; whip vs. mecenaries; big weapons duel; whip vs. mercenaries surrounded by bamboo spikes; double broadsword vs. spear; etc. He's still a great action director, despite the wire assistance and occasional CGI. Louis Koo played a real SOB of a villain and I was glad that he got his come-uppance from the general public. I was also glad to see several butt-kicking women; it was especially amusing when Lau Ching-Wan's wife starts slicing up people with a wicker basket(!). I hope Benny Chan does a third film set in the Republic Era so that this, Shaolin, and whatever else can form their own thematic trilogy.

Question: Who did Xing Yu play?

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 3

Shaolin was excellent, Call of Heroes was quite solid. After Raging Fire I really hope Benny Chan gives us Crossfire, then another period piece would be great!

• Like 2

The story and acting was excellent. It's nothing new but for a periodic action movie that has Lau Ching-Wan, Liu Kai-Chi (RIP), and Philip Keung -- HK actors associated with contemporary movies -- was refreshing to see. Great acting from them, and good support by second lead actor Eddie Peng -- enjoyed his quirky character alot, both his funny scenes and when he went down in fight scenes.

However, the movie has flaws. BIG ones. My issues was Louis Koo, and the action scenes. Koo overacts in a way that feels like he took the same acting style of a character from a completely different movie and just went along with the vibe. Amusing and embarrassing to watch. Then you have the action scenes... There's nothing wrong with the actual action choreography, wonderfully staged by veteran HK action director Sammo Hung, but a majority of them are CGI-infested, and involve a bit too much wirework (not the flying way but movements that are wire-assisted) for my taste. Not a good sign. The action scenes that were authentic was spot on (Wu Jing vs Guardians, Sammy Hung's double tongfas in action) but otherwise it was pure laziness. CGI was minimal a decade ago (the 2000s) but has since increased. Film technology advances which in turn leads to real physicality from the performers no longer being prioritized. That's how the 2010s treated many HK action movies, and continues to do so nowadays.

Overall, I think the movie is above-average and still manages to entertain thanks to Benny Chan's direction, and the acting and onscreen charisma of Lau Ching-Wan.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1