Ron Van Clief

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Thanks to Michael Worth for sharing this information online.

Interesting to note is that Serafim Karalexis was intending to film a movie called Enter Three Dragons with Dragon Lee and Ron Van Clief but the production stopped after the death of one of the producers. Years later, the same Neal Adams artwork (almost duplicating the Bruce Lee classic Enter The Dragon to the image) was used for the US release of Dragons On Fire (covered in episode #30 of The Clones Cast). Whatever intended mash up the original film had, the poster image has almost nothing to do with what we know as Enter Three Dragons today. But as a kid, when I saw that idea was proposed, the dreams of what could have been were endless.....

Source- https://twitter.com/BruceLeeClones?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
On 7/29/2020 at 6:27 AM, DragonClaws said:

Thanks to Michael Worth for sharing this information online.

Source- https://twitter.com/BruceLeeClones?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I remember the name sticking out, and also that Black Dragon's Revenge was a huge grindhouse hit, and a chance for the fanbase of mostly minorities to see a movie with an African American, Puerto Rican and Chinese hero. I was the lone white kid in the theater many times, but it's not about me. Anyway, this was for us his biggest movie. The Real Bruce Lee and the Black Dragon were disappointments, as Ron Van Clief only shows up for a few scenes in the Black Dragon, it's mostly about Jason Pai Piao, who, to this day, I have never found the appeal. I mean never. He wasn't good looking, built, or a martial artist, and beyond looking a little rugged I suppose, I just didn't see where he got his roles from. I kind of believe that Shaw brothers started using him because he was cheap. I could be wrong, but we can look at their declining fortunes and his appearances going up. And the "Real Bruce Lee" had hardly anything that Bruce fans would want, with the exception of some clips from his child roles which were in all honesty, not that interesting.

The other thing is that Karalexis released the controversial art film (lots of softcore sex, etc) I am curious Yellow and had to go all the way to the supreme court to do it. I think I saw bits and pieces of it in Berkeley. And it was a long time ago, I may have confused Sweet Movie, a truly disturbing film, instead. Anyway, I had assumed he brought over more films. But bless Worth for all he does for the genre.

• Like 2

NEWS: #RonVanClief documentary, #TheHangedMan - based on Ron's autobiography of the same name - is out now on digital. Here's the trailer. Artwork by Kung Fu Bob O-Brien

source- https://twitter.com/KFMovieGuide/status/1300089392174825472/photo/1

Any chance you can post the excellent poster @KUNG FU BOB, looking forward to seeing this one.

• Like 1

Champion martial artist, actor, and director ROBERT PARHAM joins me to talk about his upcoming documentary, "The Hanged Man: The True Story of Ron Van Clief". Plus, we chat about the state of martial arts and martial artists in today's Hollywood and where the genre evolves from here.

Link- https://kungfudrivein.libsyn.com/interview-robert-parham-director-the-hanged-man-the-story-of-ron-van-clief

400full-ron-van-clief.jpg

• Like 3

Cognoscente

In the April 1978 issue of Fighting Stars, there was an article about him which referenced him then currently filming a movie with Bruce Li called The Black Game of Death.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 5/9/2021 at 2:41 PM, Cognoscente said:

In the April 1978 issue of Fighting Stars, there was an article about him which referenced him then currently filming a movie with Bruce Li called The Black Game of Death.

Is The Black Game of Death an a.k.a for another Bruce Li movie?. I have never heard about Ron Van Clief making a film with Bruce Li?. Unless he's talking about Bruce Le's 1978 film Enter the Game of Death?. Which he is rumoured to have worked on as a fight choreogrpagher?.

• Like 1

Cognoscente

Maybe they got Bruce Li confused with Dragon Lee, who Ron worked with on Kung Fu Fever (released in 1979). Anyway, you can find the Fighting Stars article on the Bruce Lee Lives forum (the latest post was dated March 17).

• Like 2

DragonClaws
8 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Maybe they got Bruce Li confused with Dragon Lee, who Ron worked with on Kung Fu Fever (released in 1979). Anyway, you can find the Fighting Stars article on the Bruce Lee Lives forum (the latest post was dated March 17).

Some of the old U.S Theatrical posters for Bruce Le's Enter the Game of Death(1978). Have Ron Van Clief credited as the Action Director.

• Like 1

Cognoscente

Maybe it was a way to bolster the film's appeal, sort of like how Quentin Tarantino "presented" Chinese movies released in the U.S.

Ron Van Clief should have done a buddy cop martial arts movie with William Smith (who can be seen doing a flying kick in a thread over at the BLL forum).

• Like 2

On 5/23/2021 at 11:48 AM, DragonClaws said:

That was a great interview. I've been meaning to pick up his autobiography forever but for some reason or another, I never got around to it. No more excuses, I'm going to order a copy of Amazon to add to my martial arts library.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
6 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

That was a great interview. I've been meaning to pick up his autobiography forever but for some reason or another, I never got around to it. No more excuses, I'm going to order a copy of Amazon to add to my martial arts library.

Did the Docuemtnary that was made a few years ago, get released on Physcial Media anywhere?.

• Like 2