Ron Van Clief

DragonClaws

On 5/6/2019 at 7:35 AM, DragonClaws said:

Yeah, that poster would make for a great Blu-Ray cover. It's a crime that we still havent had any kind of official release of his movies in the U.K. At least not since the VHS day's.

They use part of it on the USA Blu Ray cover

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Black-Dragons-Revenge-Blu-ray/171406/

• Like 2

A great post by Michael Jai White about Ron Van Cliefs positive infleunce on him, while growing up.

(Link Expired)

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Ron Van Clief Fact: He turned down the lead role's in Black Samurai(1976), Black Belt Jones(1973) and Hot Potato(1976). All of which would go to fellow actor/Martial Artist Jim Kelly.

black-samurai-jim-kelly-poster.jpg

bb-672x372.jpg

Hot Potato(1976)

release-date-april-1976-movie-title-hot-

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Ron Van Clief Fact: He turned down the lead role's in Black Samurai(1976), Black Belt Jones(1973) and Hot Potato(1976). All of which would go to fellow actor/Martial Artist Jim Kelly.

black-samurai-jim-kelly-poster.jpg

bb-672x372.jpg

Hot Potato(1976)

release-date-april-1976-movie-title-hot-

A little surprised about Hot Potato,given that it's a sequel to Black Belt Jones. Surely Jim Kelly would've been offered the chance to reprise his role first?

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, saltysam said:

A little surprised about Hot Potato,given that it's a sequel to Black Belt Jones. Surely Jim Kelly would've been offered the chance to reprise his role first?

Thats a good point, Mr Van Clief said this during one of his Audio Commentaries appearances. The one's that appeared on the R1 DVD releases of Black Dragon's Revenge, and Way of The Black Dragon. The release where the two films where sold as a set.

• Like 1

I just wanted a 4th Black Dragon movie and a sequel to Fist Of Fear Touch Of Death , which is an epically great and misunderstood genre classic.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, saltysam said:

I just wanted a 4th Black Dragon movie...

Ditto, there should have been movies in that series. Instead we just got a lot of films ripping the title of, mostly made in Korea or the Phillipines.

Imagine if he had paired up with Sonny Chiba, The Black Dragon meets The Street Fighter on the streets of Toyko.

-1c273d17d4592b1a.jpg

The-Streetfighter-e1553481832510.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Imagine if he had paired up with Sonny Chiba, The Black Dragon meets The Street Fighter on the streets of Toyko.

-1c273d17d4592b1a.jpg

The-Streetfighter-e1553481832510.jpg

Now THAT would've been an awesome pairing!:bs_thumbsup:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Shaolivevil said:

Now THAT would've been an awesome pairing!

They should have made a new Black Dragon movie every couple of years like they do with the James Bond flicks.

• Like 3

I'm still unable to confirm if Ron Van Clief actually choreographed the fights in Enter The Game of Death(1978)?. He's credited as action director on the U.S poster,  that @ThunderScore posted in the following thread. I wonder if he was friends with any of the gweilo actors such as Samuel Walls(Silver Dragon, Golden Snake)?.

MV5BMWFlNjFjMzUtMmM2ZS00N2Q4LTg3OTQtMzE0

• Like 2

This Trailer introduced me to Ron Van Clief in my early teens. When it featured in the Eastern Heroes Top Fighter documentary.

• Like 3

DragonClaws

I want to ask about a few more people who were in the movie, beginning with Ron Van Clief.

Ron Van Clief’s a very nice guy. Very nice, very cooperative, he wanted to do the best he could to accommodate us. A little tidbit: one of the guys who’s harassing the young lady in Tompkins Square Park when Ron Van Clief comes – he’s wearing a beige pullover terrycloth shirt. You know the saying, “I’ll give you the shirt off my back”? That’s my shirt, because the guy had a shirt with this very definitive company logo. I said, “We don’t want the guy to wear a shirt with a company that’s recognized, because he’s doing something of a questionable nature, and the company can come back and sue you, Terry.” So I took off my shirt and gave it to the guy!

Ron’s dojo was right near Tompkins Square – we shot the interior scenes, and we went right out into Tompkins Square. He was there, and those were his guys from his school, and he was absolutely out there to do the best he could. Sweetheart of a guy, just very personable – I liked the guy a lot.

Source- An Interview with Matthew Mallinson, director of FIST OF FEAR, TOUCH OF DEATH

Link - https://willsloanesq.wordpress.com/2016/11/02/an-interview-with-matthew-mallinson-director-of-fist-of-fear-touch-of-death/

• Like 2