Blade of the Immortal (2017)

AlbertV

Takuya Kimura stars in this live action adaptation of the anime film directed by Takashi Miike. Coming out April 29, 2017.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/17/2016 at 3:23 PM, Dragon Ma said:

I'm a huge fan of the manga so I'm looking forward to this.

Pretty sure I've seen the anime, and liked it (it was a while ago). Looking forward to this, too.

MIYAVI performing the film's theme song, "Live to Die Another Day" on Japanese TV

Blade of the Immortal gets a theatrical release in the U.S. on November 3, 2017.  (source: IMDB and Film Combat Syndicate)  It's probably a limited theatrical release.  

sifu iron perm

i saw this at the london film festival yesterday with the man himself introducing the film. I really loved and enjoyed Miike's 100th picture..thank you Takashi SAN!

• Administrator
6 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

i saw this at the london film festival yesterday with the man himself introducing the film. I really loved and enjoyed Miike's 100th picture..thank you Takashi SAN!

That's great to hear!

I'm hopeful this will play theatrically around here. Odds are that it will.

The website Videoeta says that Blade of the Immortal gets a Blu-ray and DVD release on February 13, 2018 from Magnet Releasing (Magnolia Entertainment).

Watched it last night on VOD and despite very minor flaws in the script, they pretty much are "forgive and forget" with Takuya Kimura, Hana Sugisaka, and Sota Fukushi giving some great performances mixed in with some nicely style action without having to resort to over the top blood and gore, a usual Miike-trademark. The climactic action sequence is flat out awesome!

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2017/11/15/blade-of-the-immortal-2017/

I’ve just got done with this one and, to be honest, I was expecting a lot more. I would say it’s distinctly average. I couldn’t help but feel that the action was horribly monotonous. Every single fight felt the same and seriously lacked style. Maybe I’ve just been spoiled by “Rurouni Kenshin”.

I liked the characters for the most part and some of the action was solid, but I really felt this one was going to be much better. Also, I thought it was going to be so much more bloody than it was. I was sold on this gore fest and the film isn’t violent at all. It’s literally PG-13 level.

Granted, I’m being a bit of a naysayer. The film IS enjoyable, it’s just far from a masterpIcee. “13 Assassins” this isn’t. It’s a fun, painfully long samurai-esque adventure with as many good thing as it has bad things. Like I said...very average.

ShaOW!linDude

I pretty much feel the same as @Drunken Monk after watching this tonight. There's a ton of action, but it did get monotonous to the point that I zoned out and began to nod off a couple of times. The young girl character Rin became annoying about halfway through. But for the most part, it had some interesting characters, some of which could have stood to be fleshed out. A lot of the action is melee style (hack & slash) and filmed rather close up, which for me makes it almost impossible to tell what's going on and therefore vaguely enjoyable. I found it to be quite bloody in some regards. There are some neat duels and some cool weaponry, but really only one fight stood out that I would watch again. Honestly, it could have done with more stylized action and intricate swordplay. Additionally, the movie clocks in at 2 hrs. 20 mins. I think it could have stood to be cut down by at least 40 mins. 

Archived