Jailbreak (2016) Cambodian Action Cinema

Mike Leeder

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Hey everybody, I just saw this Cambodian martial arts/action film JAILBREAK was written up over at City on Fire.com and wanted to make sure people here knew about it.

When I did a search first to see if there was already a thread, I found Mike Leeder's. I highly recommend you click on the link in his post above to read Mike's informative Impactonline.com article about this film and check out the teaser trailer. Then, head on over to CoF to read Mighty Peking Man's coverage, and see the new, longer trailer: http://cityonfire.com/new-trailer-for-the-raid-esque-cambodian-flick-jailbreak/#comment-70763

My reaction to the trailer? Oh yeah, bring it on!

The plot seems like a great excuse for lots of hand-to-hand with limited weapons available. And even if it only turns out to be a half-ass THE RAID copy-cat (which I don't think it will), that would still mean it would likely be three times more entertaining than a lot of other current day action films! :wink: Looks like we can expect a lot of group fighting and one-on-one battles too. There's even a quad-squad of leather-bound lady fighters, armed to the teeth and wearing completely inappropriate high-heeled boots... What more could we ask for? :xd:

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, thekfc said:

We need a North American release.....not too far out!!!!!!!!

If Well Go USA purchases the release rights to this, there's a possibility it will also play in North American theaters. They often have limited theatrical screenings of titles they acquire, recently showing 2016'S SWORD MASTER (sadly, nowhere near me), and with RAILROAD TIGERS scheduled to play in a a couple of weeks. That would be tight getting to see JAILBREAK that way.

1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

If Well Go USA purchases the release rights to this, there's a possibility it will also play in North American theaters. They often have limited theatrical screenings of titles they acquire, recently showing 2016'S SWORD MASTER (sadly, nowhere near me), and with RAILROAD TIGERS scheduled to play in a a couple of weeks. That would be tight getting to see JAILBREAK that way.

If Well Go USA purchase the rights then (very likely) it will be playing (for us in NYC) at the AMC Empire 25 (Times Square).

Railroad Tigers is scheduled to play there.

That AMC also showed Sword Master, Sky On Fire, Tunnel, Cold War 2, Operation Mekong, Three, The Wailing, among others there. Though Train to Busan played at the IFC center.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, thekfc said:

If Well Go USA purchase the rights then (very likely) it will be playing (for us in NYC) at the AMC Empire 25 (Times Square).

Railroad Tigers is scheduled to play there.

That AMC also showed Sword Master, Sky On Fire, Tunnel, Cold War 2, Operation Mekong, Three, The Wailing, among others there. Though Train to Busan played at the IFC center.

I've been to that theater a couple of times, and it's very nice, but never had the opportunity to see any Asian films there.

Did you get to go see any of those Well Go screenings @thekfc?

15 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I've been to that theater a couple of times, and it's very nice, but never had the opportunity to see any Asian films there.

Did you get to go see any of those Well Go screenings @thekfc?

I have seen a good amount of Well Go USA screenings there as well as at the IFC & Village East.

Tunnel, Train to Busan, Cold War 2, Kung Fu Killer/Jungle, Wild City, Commitment, The Guillotines, The Suspect, Special ID, Iceman, The Pirates, The Taking of Tiger Mountain, etc,.

I did missed Sword Master.

ShaOW!linDude

Yeah, I'm down for this. Don't even care about a big screen showing. Release that straight to dvd, please, and I'm straight.

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Mike Leeder said:

the full trailer has dropped and i spoke to the films director Jimmy Henderson about the genesis of the project and what we can look forward to 

http://www.impactonline.co/film/13060-jailbreak/

Right on @Mike Leeder! I'll be checking that article out. Thanks.

2 hours ago, thekfc said:

I have seen a good amount of Well Go USA screenings there as well as at the IFC & Village East.

Tunnel, Train to Busan, Cold War 2, Kung Fu Killer/Jungle, Wild City, Commitment, The Guillotines, The Suspect, Special ID, Iceman, The Pirates, The Taking of Tiger Mountain, etc,.

I did missed Sword Master.

Solid!

48 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Yeah, I'm down for this. Don't even care about a big screen showing. Release that straight to dvd, please, and I'm straight.

@ShaOW!linDude I hear you man. It would be fun to see this in the theater with my son, but I'd be okay with a straight to DVD/BD release too. The sooner the better. :bigsmile:

1 minute ago, Karlos said:

looks like My Little Raid - I'm in!

Hahaha... :tongue:

One Armed Boxer
8 hours ago, mark187 said:

So anyone know what the international release plans are for this film??!

From the interview @DragonClaws posted the link to -

MATIJA TOMIC: Do you hope that Jailbreak could do for Cambodia what Ong Bak did for Thailand?

JIMMY HENDERSON: Yeah, possibly. I’m sure you don’t see this kind of films coming from Cambodia right now. There was Ong Bak, then The Raid for Indonesia and now it’s our turn. I think Southeast Asia has a lot of potential. Jailbreak is the first stepping stone for Cambodian cinema and I’m sure the international exposure will help us to reach a certain level and to produce more along the line. There is a lot of hidden talent in Cambodia, this little gem that is in the middle of Southeast Asia. Nobody really knows what is going on and also, nobody dares to produce a film like this. We are the first, and surely this will continue. Yeah, hopefully we’ll do with Jailbreak what Ong Bak did for Thailand, or The Raid for Indonesia. If not with this one, with the next one definitely.

JEAN-PAUL LY: Maybe Loy, you want to mention about XYZ.

LOY TE: Yeah, two weeks ago we signed with XYZ films, they will be bringing the film to the rest of the world, outside of Cambodia. Hopefully that will give us the lead and help us continue to bring our exposure along with the festivals. We hope that also brings us to our next project and helps us gather more resources to make something even bigger.

just got back from watching this at the London vue Leicester square and I was so impressed with the action the lead actor Jean-Paul Ly is a great martial artist and a great kicker also, some inventive camerawork and lots of long takes and non stop action , Jean-Paul Ly actually appeared on stage before the movie was shown and was asked a few questions , he said they didn't even have proper stuntmen for the movie they all got trained on the set, which is so hard to believe when seeing this movie, def a  9/10 for this one great effort with a low budget.

ShaOW!linDude
22 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

This one hit (US) Netflix today!

I was wondering if it was the same movie. Sweet! Know what I"m watching tonight!

ShaOW!linDude

Okay. The story is fairly basic in order to get the good guys in a prison so all the inmates can be loosed upon them. Then it is fight after fight after fight. For some this may be monotonous. But I enjoyed it. It is certainly without a doubt The Raid lite. One fault is that it lacks the build up of intensity in the fight sequences. Still, the choreography is solid. It is 100% all the time. There aren't any special gobsmacking moves or sequences, but it is a bootfest and full of very inventive combos throughout the fight scenes. I'll be looking to score the dvd for sure. It'll be good for those times I just want to rewatch some good, solid fight choreography.

Drunken Monk

It’s a flawed film that does get a little monontnous and definitely fizzles towards the end but, for the most part, it’s a fun homage to “The Raid” with quality fight scenes strewn throughout.

What comes between the fight scenes isn’t all that engaging but the action holds its own (despite being wonky in places). The empty handed stuff and kicks are fantastic. I found the weapon fights to be lacking though.

You want to pass 90 minutes with some intense, we’ll shot martial arts? Give this one a go.

Archived