Mortal Kombat (2021) - Joe Taslim, Ludi Lin, Jessica McNamee, Hiroyuki Sanada

DragonClaws

There's bad news and good news. The bad news? The film got pushed back. The good news, it's only delayed 1 week so the film will now be released on April 23.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/mortal-kombat-release-date-delay-1234941072/

And no...this is NOT an April Fool's prank...but this one is LOL

https://screenrant.com/mortal-kombat-2-keanu-reeves-johnny-cage-casting/

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I may eat my words but the more I see if this movie, the less interesting the action looks. I hope they’re purposely not showing us the good stuff.

• Like 3

For those in serious anticipation, here is the opening scene of Mortal Kombat courtesy of HBO Max

In the words of Cary Tagawa's Shang Tsung...And now, a taste of things to come!

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

I just watched it on HBO Max and two..no make that three words...Holy F**king Awesome! They made their promise and saw some insane fatalities, pretty nice fight scenes courtesy of stunt coordinator Kyle Gardiner and fight choreography Chan Griffin and some nifty little twists in the story. It does leave room for a sequel...bring McQuoid, Wan, Griffin, and Gardiner to do it and I'm all in. 

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Duel to the Death

Just watched it. Really fun. Part of the movie felt like an old fashioned kung fu/samurai movie, part of it felt like a modern american summer blockbuster. It was not perfect. But really damn good. Goro was cool but kind of reminded me of the Hulk in the face. It's been a long time since i played Mortal Kombat. All the way back on the Sega Genesis. I remember watching the first 2 Mortal Kombat movies probably back in the 90's and haven't seen them since. Been meaning to rewatch them but never got around to it. 

Spoiler

What we didn't see was an actual tournament but maybe they will leave that for the sequel. 

• Like 4

On 4/21/2021 at 8:33 AM, AlbertV said:

For those in serious anticipation, here is the opening scene of Mortal Kombat courtesy of HBO Max

In the words of Cary Tagawa's Shang Tsung...And now, a taste of things to come!

I'm not sure how old Hiroyuki Sanada is now but he still looks in great shape for his age!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I'm not sure how old Hiroyuki Sanada is now but he still looks in great shape for his age!

He's 60 now but still moves like he's 20, 30! I think aside from the new character Cole Young, this is the one thing people may not like, but I still liked the film either way.

Spoiler

There is no tournament in this one. Shang Tsung attempts to break the rules by sending Sub-Zero, Kabal, and Mileena to kill Earthrealm's champions before the tournament so he can take over Earthrealm. I think should there be a sequel, we will get the tournament, 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker

It's awesome, the best Mortal Kombat movie out right now, blows away the 1995 version. Enjoyed all the characters and man Joe Taslim does it again, he's so good. Kano cracks me up, he stole the show for me, heck this whole movie was great!! Bloody, action packed from start to finish.  I liked this better than Godzilla vs Kong, LMAO.  Flawless Victory bitches!! 

• Like 5

Duel to the Death
2 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Cole Young, this is the one thing people may not like,

He was the only character I didn't like, but they probably thought no one would see it if it didn't have a modern family man. That seems to be standard for all blockbusters. 

• Like 4

As a reboot that attempts to establish things from scratch, it's a good one. I was a bit confused to find out that 

Spoiler

there was no tournament at all, and that other familiar and popular characters from the game franchise were not featured.

But that's the intention. And when you've seen the movie you will get it too. So I'm looking forward to the sequels. Joe Taslim and Hiroyuki Sanada (wish he had more screen-time) hugely impresses and stole the whole movie from everyone else. Overall, it far surpasses the original 1995 movie but still has its' own flaws.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2021 at 8:10 PM, Duel to the Death said:

It's been a long time since i played Mortal Kombat. All the way back on the Sega Genesis. I remember watching the first 2 Mortal Kombat movies probably back in the 90's and haven't seen them since. Been meaning to rewatch them but never got around to it. 

Remember: 

A B A C A B B

D U L L A R D

And yes, I saw both films in the theater, too. I did buy them on VHS, though.

• Like 2

Duel to the Death
Just now, DrNgor said:

Remember: 

A B A C A B B

D U L L A R D

And yes, I saw both films in the theater, too. I did buy them on VHS, though.

Oh yes, i remember. Had to turn on the blood. :-)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Duel to the Death said:

Oh yes, i remember. Had to turn on the blood. :-)

And the second one to be able to get to Reptile. Did you ever fight Reptile Sonya?

• Like 2

Duel to the Death
2 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

And the second one to be able to get to Reptile. Did you ever fight Reptile Sonya?

I no longer remember. But i remember putting the code in for Reptile. My memory for that has faded some. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Duel to the Death said:

I no longer remember. But i remember putting the code in for Reptile. My memory for that has faded some. 

You had to do the code to make the objects fly past moon in the Pit level, to get Reptile. If you started the first fight at the Pit, then one of the Endurance Rounds would be at the Pit. If you qualified for Reptile there, you'd fight him and then a green-glitched Sonya who used her sonic blasts like a Scorpion rope, and who uppercutted you with her leg grab.

• Like 1

Duel to the Death
2 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

You had to do the code to make the objects fly past moon in the Pit level, to get Reptile. If you started the first fight at the Pit, then one of the Endurance Rounds would be at the Pit. If you qualified for Reptile there, you'd fight him and then a green-glitched Sonya who used her sonic blasts like a Scorpion rope, and who uppercutted you with her leg grab.

My faded memory thinks i got Reptile only once. That sounds about right. After all the hype i felt it wasn't the greatest secret enemy and thought it was overhyped. I was never actually good at the game. I just button mashed until i won and tried to pull off the fatalities. I wanted Mortal Kombat 2 but never got around to buying it. 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I thought this film was trash. It’s terribly written, feels rushed and the action, for the most part, is garbage. The only decent fights are between Subzero and Scorpion and they bookend the movie. Every other fight is instantly forgettable. 
Everything from the arcana to Kano’s one liners just feels like a 90’s cheese-fest and I don’t mean that in a good way. This film turns into hollow fluff as soon as Cole is introduced and continues that way until pretty much the end.

I’m shocked by the praise I’ve read so far. This may have given me nostalgia tingles but as a film, it’s a shit fest.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I thought this film was trash. It’s terribly written, feels rushed and the action, for the most part, is garbage. The only decent fights are between Subzero and Scorpion and they bookend the movie. Every other fight is instantly forgettable. 
Everything from the arcana to Kano’s one liners just feels like a 90’s cheese-fest and I don’t mean that in a good way. This film turns into hollow fluff as soon as Cole is introduced and continues that way until pretty much the end.

I’m shocked by the praise I’ve read so far. This may have given me nostalgia tingles but as a film, it’s a shit fest.

I`ve yet to watch it! I have a section of time tomorrow when my girlfriend is at work. I can watch it myself in the comfort of my own home. I might even make some popcorn. But, I didn't even know what the plot was going to be until a few minutes ago. I am familiar with the game and played it as a kid and watched the first two movies back in the day. But, yeah, I got the "not so great feeling" when I saw the commercial. I have to save final judgement until I have seen it. But, I am of the opinion that Hollywood cant make a good movie anymore even if someone made it for them. Not even HK can make good kung-fu movies anymore. I want to be surprised and I want my jaw to hit the floor like back in the day when watching Jackie's HK films and those of Tony Jaa. Don't think that will happen here but a lot has changed in Hollywood since the first Mortal Kombat movie was released. I`m hoping there's some improvement over the originals. But, I`m going to be disappointed if the fight scenes in Kong vs Godzilla are better than the ones here. Well, that was a whole other turd but it was an entertaining turd. I can at least hope for entertaining, can't I? But, in all honesty, the best thing that I can say is that both were free. If I had to pay to see them, I would definitely request a refund! 

• Like 2

Just watched this today! I liked it better than I thought I would. But, yeah, no great shakes here! There was plenty of action though, just a bit short & sweet. The choreography was nothing to write home about but it wasn't as bad as most Hollywood films have been. As has already been stated, the longest fight scenes are at the beginning and end; with the beginning being the better of the two I think. I watched the extras. A bit of hype in the making of`s. I think the filmmakers are either lying, hyping or the movie just doesn't turn out how unbelievably awesome they say it's going to be. "I told those guys...just everything you wanted to put in a film, put it in." That was somewhat a comment about the fight choreography, I think it was the producer that said it. Maybe the fights were better during filming but cut down in post? IDK. The actor that played Jax was talking about how fast Joe Taslim was during the filming. "He was so fast. There were only two guys that were so fast they had to slow the camera down for them. There was Joe and Bruce Lee." :laugh One & done!

Edited by reason108
  • Like 5

There has been some fan dream casting for Johnny Cage in Mortal Kombat 2 should it happen. Who would you want as Cage?

a4f56a3658f365308d6ef152f73fd44e86ba2fde

def83i1-973c05c7-2e08-4c7e-8b20-8e138fbb

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2