Seoul Station (2015)/Train to Busan (2016)/Peninsula (2020)

One Armed Boxer

https://variety.com/2020/film/asia/korea-peninsula-box-office-asia-cinema-return-1234708158/ - July 16, 2020.   "South Korean zombie action film "Peninsula" made a blistering start in cinemas across Asia.  It is the highest-profile, first-run summer tentpole to have released since the coronavirus forced many cinemas in the region to close."  So far Peninsula has opened in South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, and Malaysia.  Next week it is expected to open in Thailand and Vietnam.  Peninsula is not playing in Hong Kong, since the theaters there have just been shut again.  Peninsula probably will not play in China, due to a Chinese "semi-official boycott of Korean cultural goods," for the past two years.  Well Go USA has North American rights to Peninsula, which may be opening at select theaters on August 7, 2020.  https://www.instagram.com/peninsula.movie/  and  https://www.wellgousa.com/films/train-to-busan-presents-peninsula

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 4

One Armed Boxer

I checked this one out in the cinema over the weekend (my first visit to one since this whole pandemic began, and it couldn't have been a more apt choice :tongueout), and definitely enjoyed it a little more than the vastly overrated 'Train to Busan'.  Check out my full review over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/peninsula-2020-review-train-to-busan-2-two-sequel-seoul-station/

• Like 5

Train to Busan (2016: Yeon Sang Ho) South Korea

It was much more than just a horror film; it really dove into the characters...that's what made me like this film.

train-to-busan-1.jpg

• Like 3

Peninsula pretty much sacrifies everything which made Train to Busan special to deliever a hollywood style action spectacle. That's not to say it's a bad thing as I was well entertained. Unfortunately it is weighed down by some pretty cheap looking set pieces and CGI, which do take you out of the epxerience one too many times. Also the ending is overly long and probably by now is expected overly dramatic... a real tear jerker. What they seem to forget is that in order for this to work you need characters to care for which I honestly didn't. Lots of recent korean productions seem to target an international audience and love to include some english dialogue. Peninsula does try the same and it's just plain bad at times. Anyway, all things considered it's entertaining popcorn cinema.

• Like 6

I just finished giving this a view a little while ago.

It is completely different to Train To Busan but it is a fun ride, I enjoyed it. The wife really enjoyed it and she was rooting for Lee Jung-hyun, that last 5 minutes was a big tear jerker for the wife.

And yes the English dialogue is terrible. 

• Like 6

Liked this a lot,like thekfc said different to Train to busan but still very enjoyable.Its a different kinda take on the zombie genre and in this case it’s not a bad thing,well worth watching👍👍👍

• Like 6

Finally got around to watching this and I have to agree with the comments already posted above especially @laagi. It didn't have what made Train to Busan seem like a breath of fresh air in the zombie genre but still an entertaining way to spend a couple hours. I still feel that director Yeon Sang-ho's best works are his early animated works but of course, Train to Busan was very good and I felt Psychokinesis was very underrated too.

• Like 5

Just got through watching "Train to Busan(2016)": Now this was a really good zombie movie. Man, this movie kept me on the edge of my seat to the very end. Also, while I thought all the actors/actress did a fantastic job, Ma Dong-Seok really stood out as the bad*ss Sang-Hwa. At one point, this dude literally picks up a zombie and bashes it against the ceiling of the train! So yeah, defiantly a recommend. 

• Like 3

RebelIntruder
On 2/13/2022 at 8:33 PM, nectarsis said:

after watching All of us Are Dead, had to go back to a classic

MV5BMTkwOTQ4OTg0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzQyOTM0OTE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg.8cefca59baee2981bb4162316a844278.jpg

I'm watching the sequel (Peninsula) now and... it's not nearly as good.  And speaking of All  Of Us Are Dead, I was very disappointed it ended in a way that makes it hard to have a second season.

• Like 2