This is still CHANSPLOITATION

ThunderScore

On 9/22/2019 at 1:48 PM, Graeme Of Death said:

Noticed Eagle Shadow Fist mentioned. This was one I used to have on VHS when I was wee and I always remember it being quite brutal at the end with the Japanese bad guy throwing the children on to the rocks. I bought it some years later on DVD and this scene has vanished. Can someone confirm if as an 8 year old I just imagined this? I'm pretty sure the VHS I had was this one

I've never watched that release, I picked up a 3rd generation Ocean Shores bootleg release. Don't recall the scene you mentioned though. I don't think I've ever bother re-watching this film. That's not to say it not in the scene isnt in the movie, or the VHS release you had. Sound like a sequence that would be shown in some of those early 70's anti Japanese VS pro Chinese movies.

• Like 2

Graeme Of Death
11 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I've never watched that release, I picked up a 3rd generation Ocean Shores bootleg release. Don't recall the scene you mentioned though. I don't think I've ever bother re-watching this film. That's not to say it not in the scene isnt in the movie, or the VHS release you had. Sound like a sequence that would be shown in some of those early 70's anti Japanese VS pro Chinese movies.

Someone's put it up on you tube and it has the bad Japanese guy killing the kids at the end, can't remember if it's exactly like the version I saw years ago. Definitely a very anti Japanese film lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

Someone's put it up on you tube and it has the bad Japanese guy killing the kids at the end, can't remember if it's exactly like the version I saw years ago. Definitely a very anti Japanese film lol

I wasn't aware of there being dfferent versions of this movie until reading your posts. The VHS release you had didn't even feature pictures from the actual film. Instead they used stills from Half A Loaf of Kung Fu and Dragon Fist.

nullnull

image.png

image.png

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Graeme Of Death

Neither it does, never noticed that before. Well if you want the original nasty Japanese killing the villagers scene go for the old VHS😀

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Graeme Of Death said:

Neither it does, never noticed that before. Well if you want the original nasty Japanese killing the villagers scene go for the old VHS😀

Thankfully I had a copy of the Essential Jackie Chan sourcebook, which made me aware of most of the cheaply re-packaged early Jackie Chan films. I wasnt so lucky when it came to other Asian movies, such as some of the Bruceploitation titles. I knew what to expect from Eagle Shadow Fist, but anyone wanting something along the lines of Snake in The Eagles Shadow would be gravely disapointed. Between Jackie Chan success in Rumble in The Bronx(1994) and Rush Hour(1998), these misleading bootleg releases where everywhere.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

(why they did a second ending is beyond me!)

You make a good point, and it's not like the extra fight was anything special. To think I rented this version, when I was watching anything with Jackie Chan on the cover. Was Dick Randall the man behind this extended re-issue of Cub Tiger from Canton.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 11:24 PM, DragonClaws said:

Chansploitation2.jpg

Wow !! I succeeded !!

That's funny ! I just watched this one, and discovered on hkmdb that I already had the Rarescope release under the title Cub tiger from Canton.

Nice movie. What is this night ending you are talking about ? The dvd I just watched shows the beggar giving a flag to Jackie (I guess that it was the flag of his father's company ?) and that's all.

It was nice to see Shu Pei Pei in a short fight, but she disappears from the movie after the burning of her house with her father in it. It would have been nice if she had paired with Jackie for the ending fight...

I think we, fans, should remake some movies we like with sometimes better endings than the original ones...:bs_laughing:

• Like 2

On 12/11/2019 at 9:03 PM, Killer Meteor said:

Dick Randall handled the second English dub, which was done in Rome. I don't think he had anything to do with the alternative ending.

Dick Randall took the amalgamated footage and employed actors to dub it into English, titling it Master with Cracked Fingers. Randall later sold the rights to 21st Century Distribution, who gave the film a limited release in American cinemas in 1981 under the alternative title Snake Fist Fighter.[4]  - Wikipedia

• Like 2