This is still BRUCEPLOITATION

ThunderScore

Shaolin Dragon

This mysterious Jack Lee make me curious, it would be interesting to know more about him. Anyone know something? Was he actually from the same Lee family as Bruce Lee?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shaolin Dragon said:

I have done some research about They Call Him Bruce Lee now.

8C20265D-089D-49F3-8FEF-DD885AD660DD.jpeg

According to information I found this movie was also released in Korea and there it was presented as a Philippine-Hong Kong co-production. So @Super Ninja was right:bs_smile:

This probably explains the existence of a Chinese version of the movie released on VHS (didn’t find any hints of it being released theatrically in any Chinese speaking region).

B3B4D483-55FE-4CCB-B12D-846B46BF92BD.png

When it comes to the actors at least 李傑克 Jack Lee is supposed to be Chinese. The few sources that don’t take their info from the messed up IMDB page states that he was an actor from Hong Kong. (He is even mentioned as being some kind of relative to Bruce Lee :BL-IDontKnow::bs_smile: ) This might explain why he is the only actor named on the Chinese VHS cover.

Another thing that I found out was that the production company Kinavesa (Silver Star Film Company) was owned by the Philippine based Chinese businessman K.Y. Lim who had worked with Hong Kong movie productions filmed in the Philippines beginning with Tiger Force (1973). After starting producing his own films he maintained these Hong Kong connections.

So my conclusion is that They Call Me Bruce Lee was indeed some kind of Philippine-Hong Kong co-production although the cast lacks any well known Hong Kong actor.

Great work @Shaolin Dragon, that is valuable info.

• Like 5

shukocarl1441996347

Ray Malonzo (the star) was the Phillipines own Bruce Lee imitator and can be seen in "Raw Force" a co-pro with a U.S. company. I think he's also been credited as Bruce Ly?

• Like 3

Ok, everybody, I just discovered that this movie has been released on French language VHS under the title Karate Connection, and...

HERE IT IS !!

Enjoy !

• Like 5

Ok, I just finished to watch it. Everything is here : Bruce Lee's movies' themes, yellow jumpsuit, screams...

The quality print is very dark for the night scenes.

I couldn't help but laugh at some kicks and french dialogues.

The fights aren't bad at all.

I can't find anything about the actor Jack Lee. He has at least two fights, very good in my opinion, and then leaves the movie.

For the non French speakers, the story begins with a guy asking a master of karate called Tom to steal Bruce Lee's book from Jack Lee, who arrives in Philippines in order to pass it to Rey Malonzo.

The rest of the movie shows some of Rey's and his friend Tito's adventures with their respective girl friends and the gang of karate students;

Not a so bad movie all in all.

• Like 5

Shaolin Dragon

@Super Ninja Yes that is funny:bs_smile:

IMDb is a mess when it comes to Asian movies. A teenage Peter Ho Sun-Chan probably did not produce that movie:smile According to the poster the producer was somebody named Peter Chiu.

...and according to IMDb Jack Lee started his acting career already in the 1940s :laugh  (Probably a few years before he was born...that’s really an amazing achievement:smile)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shaolin Dragon said:

@Super Ninja Yes that is funny:bs_smile:

IMDb is a mess when it comes to Asian movies. A teenage Peter Ho Sun-Chan probably did not produce that movie:smile According to the poster the producer was somebody named Peter Chiu.

...and according to IMDb Jack Lee started his acting career already in the 1940s :laugh  (Probably a few years before he was born...that’s really an amazing achievement:smile)

The Jack Lee they mention is an English actor, if I'm not mistaken and I didn't find a way to get some informations about the Chinese actor. And looking at his picture You posted, I find that his smile reminds me a little bit of Bruce Lee' s smile.. One must be well aware of Bruce's family in order to know if this guy really was a cousin of his. While watching the movie yesterday, I almost enjoyed more his two fights than the rest of the fights, though I found ridiculous the way they made him cry because of the sand in his eyes just to give the opportunity to Rey Malonzo to come and save him, hence becoming the hero of the movie...

• Like 5

On 1/6/2021 at 1:43 PM, saltysam said:

Still not expecting this book any time soon tbh.

If anytime soon means at least not till the end of 2021, then I agree with you. I'm actually more interested in the Bruceploitation documentary (from Severin Films) & book that he's been hawking for the last 3 or 4 years. If the trifecta happens this year (poster book, Bruceploitation documentary + book), it'll have been worth the wait.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

If anytime soon means at least not till the end of 2021, then I agree with you. I'm actually more interested in the Bruceploitation documentary (from Severin Films) & book that he's been hawking for the last 3 or 4 years. If the trifecta happens this year (poster book, Bruceploitation documentary + book), it'll have been worth the wait.

I was wondering what happend to that book and the dox, there's been no new information for quite some time. From Worth's posts on insta, it seemed that the documentary is in phase of post-production. 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

11 hours ago, saltysam said:

I want the supposed Bruceploitation box set, that's been mentioned as coming for a few years.

That might be a pipe dream at this point. Looks like the focus is on the Pearl River line at the moment.

• Like 2

I have the film "They Call Him Bruce Lee". It's in my opinion a bad version of "Bruce Le's Fists Of Vengeance". It has the same plot about a special Bruce Lee book (In "They Call Him Bruce Lee" it's something like the Bruce Lee Ji Jitsu Book and in the Bruce Le one it's a Jeed Kune Do Book), Jack Lee is in both film the friend of the "Bruce" guy, and both films have the same hotel room fighting scene. I red the scene was originally from the "Malonzo" film and was re-used for the Le film. I believe that both films were created by the same film company. That could be the only reason, that these two films have that much similarities. But the Bruce Le Version is the better on. It has much better fight scenes and the story goes in a more strait direction (The Malonzo film has some stupid supposed to be funny but boring scenes about the relationship between bruce and his girlfriend and her father, who doesn't like him. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Shaolin Dragon said:

:BL-Laughing:

1678903561_Kuolemanasiamies(1978).jpg.45eb5c52cbdea271fc055d41fda44497.jpg

Wow this one is shameless. Is this a re-edit of Death Dimension with some Bruce spliced in or something?

• Like 1

Shaolin Dragon

1B3DDBF2-A7FB-4992-98BE-81231CC79A90.jpeg.c0e1eae75d577073afdd54a6b1c22a2f.jpeg

Death Dimensions was actually a Bruceploitation movie already from the beginning, starring Myron Bruce Lee together with Jim Kelly. This Myron guy must have been one of the least Bruce Lee looking of all the actors sold as Bruce copies. Even the Turkish Bruce clone Nihat Yigit looks more like Bruce (at least tries to) than this guy :cool

The fun thing with this Finnish cover for the movie is that here the distributors decided to deliberately loose the Myron part of the name. Maybe they thought the Finnish audience wouldn’t notice the difference :bs_confused:

When I stumbled across this Finnish cover, The Dragon Lives Again that also featured 007 and Bruce Lee, popped up in my mind :smile

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Shaolin Dragon said:

The fun thing with this Finnish cover for the movie is that here the distributors decided to deliberately loose the Myron part of the name. Maybe they thought the Finnish audience wouldn’t notice the difference

I think audiences at the time were tricked into thinking a lot of the early clone movies featured the real Bruce Lee. Which could be done in the pre internet days. I'd never seen a poster for Death Dimension that claimed it featured Bruce Lee himself, before you shared this Finnish cover art.

• Like 4

I hope Severin release the blu rays of Death Dimension and Black Samurai separately, the DVDs are crap quality. Was Mryon Bruce Lee in anything else?

• Like 3

On 29. 01. 2021. at 8:16 PM, saltysam said:

I hope Severin release the blu rays of Death Dimension and Black Samurai separately, the DVDs are crap quality. Was Mryon Bruce Lee in anything else?

Speaking of Al Adamson, am I mistaken or is Severin preparing a separate blu ray release of The Dynamite Brothers? Their boxset is OOP and I'm not that much of a fan of Adamson's work to get the whole set just for one or two movies. Black Samurai and Dynamite Brothers are always welcome in my collection and I'd definitely rewatch Death Dimension if it came out on blu.

• Like 2

I'm like you, i wouldn't have bought the Adamson box set ( i do have interest in his work though, fascinating character) surely Severin will give the more popular titles in the set single releases.

• Like 3

Funny how so many of the italian movie posters manage to sneek "Bruce Lee" into the title.....and Lee is nowhere to be seen in 99.9% of them ;)

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 2