This is still BRUCEPLOITATION

ThunderScore

On 8/17/2019 at 11:55 AM, Killer Meteor said:

This is the bizarre US version of the film currently avaliable on DVD as BRUCE LEE - A DRAGON STORY. It's been re-dubbed in Europe - understandable given how poor the original dub was! - and scenes from two different non-Bruce Li movies have been randomly inserted into it. Even with the inserts, it's at least 5 minutes shorter than the Chinese edit.

And yes, there was a lawsuit!  Linda Lee got $25,000 dollars in damages in 1975, which was probably what the movie cost to make in the first place!

The inserted footage is from "Karado - The Hong Kong Cat" 

https://youtu.be/vIm1Y_2HvpQ

Edited by DT-Nice1988
  • Like 3

Killer Meteor

And a Bruce Liang film too, Little Superman? - it even made the trailer!

Note the trailer is using the older dub, rather than the one on the final US print.

• Like 2

if he restores and releases that officially i'll cry many,many tears...of joy

On 7/13/2019 at 4:45 PM, Killer Meteor said:

I always liked the narration on the US version. Gave the whole thing a sense of granduer.

Many

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saltysam said:

if he restores and releases that officially i'll cry many,many tears...of joy

Finger crossed, I last watched this via an Uncut but full-screen print a fellow fan sent me over a decade ago.

Killer Meteor

Bruce Thomas' decent Bruce biography "Bruce Lee Fighting Spirit" mentions in passing SUPER DRAGON, but the plot description he gives sounds more like TRUE GAME OF DEATH.

" Super Dragon, an even more ludicrous biopic, followed. In this film Linda Lee is cast as an evil hag while "Bruce," dressed in a yellow tracksuit, battles a giant basketball player to rescue a Betty Ting-Pei lookalike who is being held at the top of a pagoda"

Linda Lee as a hag? What's he on about?

• Like 2

On 9/1/2019 at 11:03 PM, DragonClaws said:

Maybe that scene could be from the atv series "Chen Zhen" a.k.a. "The Fist". I didn't know the series until now. I only knew about "Legendary Fok". 

I found some weeks a ago a great film with Bruce Liang. "Jeet Kune Do" is fore me a "Bruceploitation Masterpiece". Dragon Chen plays the son of a kung fu master (Bruce Liang/ Leong). His master tries to teach him the "Chen Fist Style", but his son is obsessed with Bruce Lee and Jeet Kune Do. He even dressed like Lee. So the both gets in an argument. Dragon Chen leave his father to travel to an Jeed Kune Do Tournament, in which he has to fight another, but rich, Bruce Lee clone and some other guys, who resembles Dan Inosanti, Ji Han Jae and Kareem Abdul Jabbar.  During his time in the big city, he mets some people, one is a former student of Bruce Lee. They ask Chen if he wants to be only a shadow of Bruce Lee. The Bruce Lee student also tells him that Jeed Kune Do isn't about copy Bruce Lee and his fighting style, but to express yourself. 

I only found the film with an unknown language dub, but with English subtitles. I uploaded it on my channel

Check out the other films I uploaded on my channel. There are some rare ones, like the Korean version of "Tower of Death", "Miss, Please Be Patient" and more

Edited by DT-Nice1988
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Bruce Thomas' decent Bruce biography "Bruce Lee Fighting Spirit" mentions in passing SUPER DRAGON, but the plot description he gives sounds more like TRUE GAME OF DEATH.

" Super Dragon, an even more ludicrous biopic, followed. In this film Linda Lee is cast as an evil hag while "Bruce," dressed in a yellow tracksuit, battles a giant basketball player to rescue a Betty Ting-Pei lookalike who is being held at the top of a pagoda"

Linda Lee as a hag? What's he on about?

You could be right. The Girlfriend of the Bruce Character (Hsiao Lung), named Alice, put some drugs in Lee's tea or coffee cub, because the gangsters forced her to do it. But who would kill his love? A true lover never would do that. So she is a hag, a little bit. Besides, I love the dying scene. First they have sex, then Lee gets a strong headache and jumps around, destroying some things. It's hilarious but fun to watch. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DT-Nice1988 said:

Maybe that scene could be from the atv series "Chen Zhen" a.k.a. "The Fist". I didn't know the series until now. I only knew about "Legendary Fok". 

@rdenn will know a lot more than me about this one, he also up=loaded the clip to YouTube.

4 hours ago, DT-Nice1988 said:

I found some weeks a ago a great film with Bruce Liang. "Jeet Kune Do" is fore me a "Bruceploitation Masterpiece". Dragon Chen plays the son of a kung fu master (Bruce Liang/ Leong). His master tries to teach him the "Chen Fist Style", but his son is obsessed with Bruce Lee and Jeet Kune Do. He even dressed like Lee. So the both gets in an argument. Dragon Chen leave his father to travel to an Jeed Kune Do Tournament, in which he has to fight another, but rich, Bruce Lee clone and some other guys, who resembles Dan Inosanti, Ji Han Jae and Kareem Abdul Jabbar.  During his time in the big city, he mets some people, one is a former student of Bruce Lee. They ask Chen if he wants to be only a shadow of Bruce Lee. The Bruce Lee student also tells him that Jeed Kune Do isn't about copy Bruce Lee and his fighting style, but to express yourself. 

Thanks for up-loading this movie and making fans aware of it here. One I'd never heard about before.

On 9/6/2019 at 11:59 PM, DragonClaws said:

I found another Pic of this release with the back cover. So I could read the cast of this film. I think the Chen Sing film "Kung Fu - The invisible Fist" is on that tape. 

https://de.todocoleccion.net/kino-filme-beta/beta-invisible-kung-fu-chen-sing~x48299810

Edited by DT-Nice1988
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, DT-Nice1988 said:

I found another Pic of this release with the back cover. So I could read the cast of this film. I think the Chen Sing film "Kung Fu - The invisible Fist" is on that tape. 

Classic, take a one of Chan Sing and Yasuaki Kuratas best films and past a lot of Bruceploitation all over the VHS cover. They must have sold more copies this way?, seemed like a popular sales tactic during the VHS boom year's.

On 9/9/2019 at 3:57 PM, DragonClaws said:

Classic, take a one of Chan Sing and Yasuaki Kuratas best films and past a lot of Bruceploitation all over the VHS cover. They must have sold more copies this way?, seemed like a popular sales tactic during the VHS boom year's.

Even before VHS Boom, some little U.S. Cinema's Re-released some kung fu flicks with new titles, that have Bruce Lee's name in it. But they cheated audiences, because these films, had not nothing do with Bruce Lee in any way. 

Some Titles: Ten Commandments Of Lee (Master And The Kid) , Revolt Of The Dragon (it is on YouTube) , Lee's Younger Days, Lee's Killer Kids, Fist Like Lee, Bruce vs. The Red-Eyed Monster (Old Dirty Strikes Back), Bruce Vs. His Blood Brother, Bruce Lee Has No Rival (Deadly Roulette), Bruce Lee Connection, Challenge Of Young Bruce Lee (On YouTube), Lee's Lady Killer, The Real Dragon (with Sonny Bruce  😁), Spirit of Bruce Lee (Chan Wai Man film "Angry Tiger"), Bruce Lee Versus Chinese Frankenstein (this one: https://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Lee-VS-Chinese-Frankenstein/dp/B001FB4YNW) and of course "Bruce Is Loose" 

They also re-released some real Bruceploitation film in this small cinema's with new titles. Often it's also hard to find out, which movie is behind the title. Titles: Bruce Vs The Black Dragon (Bruce And Shaolin Kung FuFB_IMG_1568253293939.jpg), Kung Fu Street fighter (Bruce Le film), Dragon's Twin Brother (My Name Called Bruce), Fistful Of The Dragon (maybe Bruce Li film), The Dragon's Greatest Revenge (Bruce Le Film, maybe "Bruce Le's Greatest Revenge", King Of The Dragon (maybe a Bruce Le film), Game of The Dragon (maybe Bruce, The Invincible) 

An interesting thing I found out is that "Bruce And Dragon Fist" (Bruce Le) film was re-released as "Re-enter The Dragon". In the web are little informations about a lost Bruce Le film with that title. But maybe these informations are false and "Re-enter The Dragon" is only an alternate title for "Bruce And Dragon Fist" 

FB_IMG_1568253875441.jpg

FB_IMG_1568253248145.jpg

FB_IMG_1568253279437.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

FB_IMG_1568253321062.jpg

bruce-vs-the-red-eyed-monster-poster-bruce-le-simon-yuen-1980-l-t-E5N8FY.jpg

bruce-vs-red-eyed-monster.jpg

FB_IMG_1568253400654.jpg

FB_IMG_1568253423256.jpg

FB_IMG_1568253495291.jpg

FB_IMG_1568253554069.jpg

FB_IMG_1568253574175.jpg

FB_IMG_1568253634816.jpg

FB_IMG_1568253660215.jpg

FB_IMG_1568256905855.jpg

FB_IMG_1568256911658.jpg

FB_IMG_1568256927162.jpg

FB_IMG_1568256935152.jpg

Edited by DT-Nice1988
  • Like 2

In Germany they did the same thing, they released some Kung Fu films with  "Bruce Lee" titles. I translate the German titles for you. "Secret Rivals" was released as "The Twin Brothers of Bruce Lee" and "Secret Rivals 2" was released as "Bruce Lee - We Will Revenge You". "Return of the Valuables" (Taiwan 1975) was released as "A Man Like Bruce Lee" and "The Black Dragon" with Ron Van Clief was released as "Bruce Lee - His Deadly Legacy". But all of them has nothing to do with Bruce. In the German dub of "The Black Dragon", the main Asian character is Bruce Lee's nephew, but that's a created connection to Bruce Lee. 

But there were three releases in Germany, that I called "Made In Germany" Bruceploitation. 

The German distributor Schier released the most Bruceploitation films in Germany. "Bruce's Deadly Fingers" was the first one they edited.  The posters and advertising promised that the film shows the real Bruce Lee. But everybody knows that Bruce Le is the lead actor. So they created a biographical prolog with "Way Of The Dragon" Footage. So nobody could say, that the film didn't show the real Bruce Lee. 

When they didn't have any Bruceploitation films they could release, they created their own ones. 

So they choosed the films "Invincible Boxer" (Hong Kong, 1973) and "The Fist Of Justice" (Taiwan, 1973). 

To get Bruce Lee in "The Fist of Justice", the created a biographical prolog with re-used "Bruce's Deadly Fingers" Footage. A male voice tell some facts and fantasy things about Bruce Lee's youth, how he participated in street fights with gangs. But all of this has nothing to do with the film itself. The lead actors becomes Bruce's best friend and student and Bruce's sister Phoebe. They cuted some "Bruce Lee" clips in from "Big Boss" and "Way Of The Dragon" before or during fight scenes and a male voice says some philosophical sentences (It meant to be Bruce's voice). This Bruce Lee sentences help the characters to win their fights. That's the idea behind this and... they showed us the real Bruce Lee. So the film became "Bruce Lee - The Jumping Panther" 

In "Invincible Boxer" they reused all the Bruce Lee Clips on the same way. The lead actor another time becomes Bruce's best Friend and student with the German dub. When ever it is possible, the character starts to talk or thing about Bruce Lee. So they created "Bruce Lee - The growling Tiger" 

But their greatest release is "Bruce Lee - His Best Fights". This one is the German version of "True Game Of Death". The originally film hasn't that many fight scenes, besides the tower battles. So the cuted in the Bruce Li footage from "The Real Bruce Lee" and Fight scenes from "Story Of The Dragon" a.k.a. "Bruce Lee's Secret". Also the create another time a biographical prolog with Bruce Lee footage to tell their new story. In their version Bruce Lee found some proves, that a gang smuggling drugs, so they kill him with some poison. His best student and friend (sounds familiar) Hsiao Lung, who wants to be called from now on Bruce Lee, wants to revenge his former master. 

The Trailers Schier created for their releases were already Bruceploitation at its finest. They promised in them so much nonsense, you could only laugh about it. "You will see an unknown Bruce Lee film, which we found after a long search. You didn't know, but Bruce Lee did even more films besides his famous 5 films. With 19 years he already had an acting role in the film "The Year Of The Dragon" and with 24 years he was the second lead in "Bruce Fingers" Now you have the chance to see the young Bruce Lee, the black belt king, who was already a master of karate." 

You can see the films on my YouTube channel. 

• Like 2

They did that a lot in Italy too......"Bruce Lee vs bla bla bla"

Bruce the Super Hero with Le , where does the theme song come from.....I cant get it out of my head , lol

• Like 2

On 9/12/2019 at 3:15 AM, DT-Nice1988 said:

Even before VHS Boom, some little U.S. Cinema's Re-released some kung fu flicks with new titles, that have Bruce Lee's name in it. But they cheated audiences, because these films, had not nothing do with Bruce Lee in any way. 

Good point, it worked in cinemas and then they did it all over again on the VHS format. How many people got suckered into seeing these movies again, under different titles?.

17 hours ago, DT-Nice1988 said:

In Germany they did the same thing, they released some Kung Fu films with  "Bruce Lee" titles. I translate the German titles for you. "Secret Rivals" was released as "The Twin Brothers of Bruce Lee" and "Secret Rivals 2" was released as "Bruce Lee - We Will Revenge You". "Return of the Valuables" (Taiwan 1975) was released as "A Man Like Bruce Lee" and "The Black Dragon" with Ron Van Clief was released as "Bruce Lee - His Deadly Legacy". But all of them has nothing to do with Bruce. In the German dub of "The Black Dragon", the main Asian character is Bruce Lee's nephew, but that's a created connection to Bruce Lee. 

Another great and informative post @DT-Nice1988.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Coliseum1972 said:

They did that a lot in Italy too......"Bruce Lee vs bla bla bla"

Bruce the Super Hero with Le , where does the theme song come from.....I cant get it out of my head , lol

The opening credits say the music is by Lawrence Chan. The main title track is maybe the best thing about this film. 

• Like 2

Wow putting "Bruce" or "Lee" in the title when the film doesn't even have an imitator or connection to him just to sucker people in is pretty low. I believe the only title we didn't get was Bruce and the Bride of Frankenstein but I could be wrong.😜

• Like 2

On 9/14/2019 at 9:21 PM, ThunderScore said:

This was also titled BRUCE LEE VS CHINESE FRANKENSTEIN:

BL vs Chinese Frankenstein.jpg

Yes there are two of them. The first is as you see on the poster the alternate title for the Tong Lung Film "On the Verge of death" which was also uploaded on YouTube as "Bruce Lee Vs. Walking Dead". 

The Second one is a film directed by Kwok Shek Ske in 1978, I doesn't know the original title. But as I say some posts before, it has no connection to Bruce Lee in any way. 

But I have some informations about the actor Tong Lung (real name unknown) , I think the most not know of. Some people got confused with his name because Tong Lung was also an alternate name of Kim Tai Chung (for international audiences I think). "Black Dragon Vs. Yellow Tiger" a.k.a. "The Growling Tiger" isn't his only Bruceploitation entry. He done another film with the title "The ferocious Brothers", which has some "Fist Of Fury" and "Way Of The Dragon" things in it (The whole scene was copied, in which Bruce order every soup on the card because he couldn't read it.) Also "The Best and the Worst" are for me little Bruceploitation because Tong Lung played a Bruce Lee Like character. It's pretty the same character Bruce Li played in "Deadly Strike". Here is the first one. 

• Like 2