KONG: Skull Island

thekfc

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen this and...it's reasonably enjoyable in a CGI fest sorta way.

It IS nice to look at, is the best thing I can say about this. 

Yes, there is a post-credits scene which is fun and I'll say no more.

Would I actively recommend this to you cats?  No, not at all. 

Drunken Monk
4 minutes ago, Karlos said:

Just seen this and...it's reasonably enjoyable in a CGI fest sorta way.

It IS nice to look at, is the best thing I can say about this. 

Yes, there is a post-credits scene which is fun and I'll say no more.

Would I actively recommend this to you cats?  No, not at all. 

I kind of feel the same way. It was enjoyable but nothing groundbreaking. I'd say it's good but little beyond that.

John C Reilly made this, I think. 

Give the man a spin-off (which apparently might be happening!)

Drunken Monk
26 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

@Drunken Monk @Karlos How does it compare to the Peter Jackson version?, better, worse, or more of the same?

I'd say more of the same. It's more stylishly directed and it's influences shine throughout but it's not massively different. The only major difference is that "Kong: Skull Island" doesn't lean on the Kong/pretty lady interaction all that much.

Never actually seen Jackson's version. Was told it was super bloated so I left it alone.

This new version is mercifully shorter and the Vietnam war angle is interesting but the story is, ultimately, shallow.

DragonClaws
23 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

The only major difference is that "Kong: Skull Island" doesn't lean on the Kong/pretty lady interaction all that much.

I noticed they didn't really put much focus on this in the movies trialers.

7 hours ago, FieryReign said:

I liked it and thought it looked really nice. The action didn't disappoint.

Nice to hear that someone enjoyed the latest version of the King Kong story.

I missed the after-credits teaser thing. I wish studios would stop pulling that garbage, it makes no sense. Don't have time for a bunch of goddamn words to slowly scroll by just for 20 seconds of teaser. I just sat in the theater for like 2 hrs+. People are trying to get the hell out of there and piss etc.

Along with the 30 minutes of trailers. Jesus, 3 or 4 is enough, don't need 11-12 of them crammed down my throat. Nobody gives a fuck about Baywatch starring the Crock. Or some unfunny looking shit about middleaged black women going on vacation. Learn the demographics.

Put those teasers at the end of the film BEFORE the credits. And they wonder why nobody wants to go to the theaters anymore?

DragonClaws

kong-skull-island-29-1500x844.jpg

John Mosby over at IMPACTonline, gives his thoughts on the new Kong movie.

Link- http://www.impactonline.co/film/14054-kong-skull-island-reviewed/

13 hours ago, FieryReign said:

Along with the 30 minutes of trailers. Jesus, 3 or 4 is enough, don't need 11-12 of them crammed down my throat. Nobody gives a fuck about Baywatch starring the Crock. Or some unfunny looking shit about middleaged black women going on vacation. Learn the demographics.

Put those teasers at the end of the film BEFORE the credits. And they wonder why nobody wants to go to the theaters anymore?

In the U.K we get treated to random adverts selling car's , beer, etc, before you get the endless amount of trialers.

Good film with good effects not the best when it comes to story telling but entertaining,worth checking out.

On 3/14/2017 at 9:24 AM, Drunken Monk said:

I'd say more of the same. It's more stylishly directed and it's influences shine throughout but it's not massively different. The only major difference is that "Kong: Skull Island" doesn't lean on the Kong/pretty lady interaction all that much.

That's hardly the "only major difference". I mean it's not even the same story - sure, the set up is pretty similar, but the characters, the motivations, the time period are all completely different. The plot doesn't even veer towards what the original does either. I'd say that the similarities (blonde, lizard/Kong fight, chains, islanders etc) are more to do with them being callbacks then an actual remake of the original story.

Anyway, overall an entertaining movie. The actors are having the time of their lives acting in a King Kong movie and the action is always fun. Terrible dialogue and cliche characters hold it back, but it knows what it is and it doesn't overstep. Similar to what we all love in our old school martial arts films.

I had a lot of fun with this one, as did the rest of my family. I liked the original monsters and am glad they didn't go with the same dinosaurs from the original or from Peter Jackson's version. I have a Portuguese language review here (try reading it via Google translator):

http://catedraldekaiju.blogspot.com.br/2017/03/kong-ilha-da-caveira-2017.html

Archived