Monkey Twins (2016)

Drunken Monk

It looks like this one may have fallen under our collective radar as it's released on February 25th in Thailand. While it looks like another "typical" Thai production, this time the action focuses on money-style Muay Thai and Chinese kung fu.

Patrick Tang (from "Raging Phoenix" and "Bangkok Knockout") will be the film's villain, from the looks of things.

The official Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/Ao.sumret/

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

It's been almost a year and a half. Anyone know if this was ever released?

ShaOW!linDude
5 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Worth noting the release being referenced has no English subtitles.

Dadgummit!!!:angry

ShaOW!linDude

I came across a post on FB that this is supposed to be on Netflix now. I'm not finding it. Maybe it's supposed to be coming to Netflix in next month or so. Regardless, has this ever gotten a dvd release with English subs or dubs?

***Also, the search engine for this site absolutely sucks. I typed in the correct title and this thread should have been the first thing to pop up on page 1 of anything listing the words monkey & twins. Where does it show up? The fourth page. That makes no sense whatsoever. How can a correctly typed title/name not correlate to it being the very first thing the search function should find and list rather than threads where the words aren't even used together or in conjunction with one another but just happen to appear? 

One Armed Boxer
18 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

I came across a post on FB that this is supposed to be on Netflix now. I'm not finding it. Maybe it's supposed to be coming to Netflix in next month or so.

I saw the same post, however I believe that's referring to the spin-off TV series starring Dan Chupong and Jija Yanin (ironic that the TV series stars more familiar names in the west than the movie).  I also assumed the Netflix in question was for Thailand based subscriptions, the same way Netflix Korea has a lot of local content.

PS  It really seems like I keep raining on your parade in this thread.

18 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

***Also, the search engine for this site absolutely sucks. I typed in the correct title and this thread should have been the first thing to pop up on page 1 of anything listing the words monkey & twins. Where does it show up? The fourth page. That makes no sense whatsoever. How can a correctly typed title/name not correlate to it being the very first thing the search function should find and list rather than threads where the words aren't even used together or in conjunction with one another but just happen to appear? 

No argument there.  I believe it's a limitation of the hosting platform, so there's not a lot @KUNG FU BOB & @SMK can do about it unfortunately.  What I find usually works, is to type in the search phrase, then choose the option on the bottom that makes the engine search from the perspective of specifically looking for the words entered.  For some reason, the first time you search it always looks for any of the words entered, which as you rightly point out, is a royal pain in the ass.

Capture2.PNG

ShaOW!linDude
7 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I saw the same post, however I believe that's referring to the spin-off TV series starring Dan Chupong and Jija Yanin (ironic that the TV series stars more familiar names in the west than the movie).  I also assumed the Netflix in question was for Thailand based subscriptions, the same way Netflix Korea has a lot of local content.

PS  It really seems like I keep raining on your parade in this thread.

Okay, a series starring Chupong & Yanin is news to me. Cool beans! It only being available on Thailand's Netflix? Not fair!

Regarding your raining on my parade? As Doris Day sang: Que sera, sera.

Helpful tips on the search engine. I'll try to remember to apply them. Thank you, sir.

On 7/28/2018 at 7:17 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Also, the search engine for this site absolutely sucks.

I typed in exactly this - "Monkey Twins" - and only this thread showed up.  Don't forget to include the quotation marks around the phrase. 

ShaOW!linDude
On 8/22/2018 at 11:31 AM, whitesnake said:

I typed in exactly this - "Monkey Twins" - and only this thread showed up.  Don't forget to include the quotation marks around the phrase. 

Never knew you had to do that. Well alrighty then.

Found this since JeeJa Yanin is in it and, as expected the drama isn't very good but it's watchable. The fights are mostly good, depending on the episode, but they do vary in quality. They filmed this in 2 different segments years apart and it shows. Maybe they reused footage from the rumored movie?

Or does the movie even exist? I'm not sure at this point.

MV5BZWNkZDA2Y2ItZjBmMS00Y2JjLWE1ZTUtMDEzZTQ0ZTA5N2QyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzgxODI0MTk@._V1_.jpg

AAAABbjkNLjD5tQEcaMLOtmFawebX_LAoRftkUIH

More detailed review:

MONKEY TWINS (2018)

(Netflix)

1200px-Monkey_Twins_%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B8%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%98%E0%B9%8C.jpg

MV5BZjE2MTllN2MtNDVjOS00MzU2LTkzOGMtN2FjZjdkZDUyZTUyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzgxODI0MTk@._V1_.jpg

Stunts - 71/100 | What they would need is a better stunt team I think, and fighters who are generally more willing and better at taking hits. Not that it was actually bad but a far cry from what we've come to expect from Thailand.

Narrative - 36/100 

Fight Choreography - 75/100 | Fights were quite uneven, filmed mostly steady but nothing groundbreaking. Often they were too slow and felt like someone was holding back. Still interesting nonetheless, since it includes Monkey-style fighting! There is a fight scene almost every episode. In my opinion, the best fight scenes were the market brawl in E06 (funny dynamic!) and pretty much every fight in E12 (grittier). JeeJa unfortunately doesn't get to fight much, about 3 times. Her longest fight was against Zozeen and it seems to me like none of them were really "into it".

Enjoyment - 46/100 | Ultimately this series wasn't engaging enough to me. Too slow. Some episodes had 7-8 minutes of recap! What the hell. The villain was almost cartoonish at times and there wasn't a good flow to the story. I didn't care much by the end. But the action was certainly a welcome effort!

Main Fighters: Sumret Muengput, Zozeen Panyanut, Phakin Khamwilaisak, JeeJa Yanin

Archived