Miike's "Great Yokai War"

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

This is now available on R3 dvd. Anybody seen this one yet?? Its looks like a blast of a film, a bit different from normal Miike madness. Any comments/reviews appreciated, thx!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Yakuza954

Watched it during the Oscars, and while it had a lot of funny and creative moments, it's not something I'd watch again. Miike directed it but it dosen't feel like a Miike film. More like a 'Japanese Harry Potter', which was what it was marketed as. This movie is VERY Japanese and many of the aspects of the film will be lost on those unfamiliar with Japanese culture. The actors who played the monsters did a good job and felt like they came straight out of A Nightmare Before Christmas. They provided a few laugh out loud moments. The CGI was also first-rate and flowed seamlessly, similar to something like Casshern. Unlike HK, Japan always feels right at home with CGI. The girls were hot. Those were the only positives though, as this thing is mostly kid fluff at its core. There's a good amount of action scenes from the middle to end, but its mostly a little kid waving a sword at CGI monsters. The payoff at the end is average. To tell the truth, I was bored during most of the movie. Only recommended to Takashi Miike completists or Japanese kids.

Guest Isfahani

Or people that like the Yokai series. The fact that it's a Miike film didn't seem to hamper my enjoyment of it.

Guest Yakuza954

I've never heard of the Yokai series prior to watching this movie. I knew the movie was based off a popular novel but didn't know it had an international fanbase.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I have only seen a few Yokai flix and didnt care for them. They remind me too much of the Power Rangers.:lol The only Yokai films I really enjoyed were the Kibakichi films. And they were a combo of Samurai/Yokai. I thought maybe Miike would throw his twisted vision into it and make it a bit more interesting for me. Ill hold off on getting it for now, thanks Yak.

Guest sea kelp

i really love how this movie starts off, bunta is great as grandpa and the kid is fantastic too. the action and i guess you would say the "conflict" wasn't all that well carried out- very generic and sometimes cheap feeling compaired to how it started. little miike touches are scattered and overall it's a good watch

Archived