Mantis Fists and Tiger Claws of Shaolin/John Cheung Ng Long

KungFuCultFan

KungFuCultFan

Re-watched this one tonight. What a ridiculous flick. I love it, for sheer wackiness alone.

It's a pretty straightforward kung fu flick with John Cheung attempting to rescue his sister from a brothel while fighting Dean Shek and his baddies in the process. 

The wackiness lies in it's awkward casting choices (San Kuai as a glass shard encrusted humpback, Dean Shek in a villainous role, John Cheung playing it completely straight in the lead), and the infamous monster movie/slasher movie subplot.

If you dig the horror genre, aren't easily offended by very hokey rape scenes, blended with a fairly standard kung-fu plot, this is for you.

I, for one, love it on account of the fact that it's an indie that tries to do something different, as opposed to just replicate what was popular at the time. I am also a huge fan of John Cheung Ng Long, the lead. I'm pretty sure this is his first lead role and he does a good job, but I think his fighting skills are much better showcase in other movies he did afterwards. 

In any event, it's a lot of fun and worth a shot. 

What are you favorites starring John Cheung? Big fan of Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Two Wonderous Tigers, outside of the lame comedy.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, KungFuCultFan said:

What are you favorites starring John Cheung? Big fan of Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Two Wonderous Tigers, outside of the lame comedy.

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Eagle's Killer are two of my all time favorite films with John Cheung

Archived