Introduction Post and My Top Old School Picks

KungFuCultFan

KungFuCultFan

Hello all! 

I'm a new poster on here, so I figured I'd say a few words about myself and name a few of my favorite kung fu films. 

I'm a 30 year old guy located on the east coast, Rhode Island, to be exact. I'm in the home stretch of my graduate degree in social work, so my time with my hobbies, such as Kung Fu films, is limited. I am also a stepfather and fiance' whose currently trying to buy his first home...slimming down my time even further.

When I DO have the time, my hobbies include but are not limited to cult films, namely Kung Fu and Horror, with a collection of around 1000 films on DVD, VHS and blu-ray.

My earliest exposure to the genre would be Bruce Lee through my father, but my interest in the more obscure stuff would have been peaked around the time Jackie Chan broke in the 1990s. I saw Rumble in the Bronx and was hooked! I had to get everything the guy did...which led to me picking up a bunch of VHS tapes at my local K-Mart. I was sorely disappointed as a 9 or 10 year old to find that Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin was nothing like Supercop! I was, quite frankly, PISSED.

However, the films eventually won me over, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow being the impetus. From there I expanded to the other works of Yuen Woo Ping and Ng See Yuen, and the rest is history!

Ironically, I very rarely enjoy the Kung Fu comedies that Jackie is most associated with during the time period, today. 

The films I tend to enjoy the most are those without any REAL historical facts behind them...something about them make me feel as though I missed an episode before it or something. Furthermore, I love the hokey stuff, with real cult value. As beautiful and well-choreographed as something like Eight Diagram Pole Fighter is, I'll take the low budgeters like Mars Villa or Shaolin Vs. Lama any day. I find that the independent studios tended to get really far out there with there choreography and concepts, to make up for a lack of top-tier stars or illustrious sets. 

That being said here are some of my favorites ever and I am always looking for suggestions!

In no particular order:

Shaolin Vs. Lama

Shaolin Wooden Men

Dragon on the Shaolin Tower aka Tower of the Drunken Dragons 

Incredible Kung Fu Mission

Mars Villa

Invincible Armour

Secret Rivals

The Cranefighter

One-Armed Swordsman

Five Deadly Venoms

Crippled Avengers

Avenging Eagle

Heroes Two

Last Hurrah for Chivalry

Come Drink With Me

Snake In The Monkey's Shadow

Duel of the Seven Tigers

Daggers 8

Seven Steps of Kung Fu

Crippled Masters

Grand Master of Shaolin Kung Fu

Born Invincible

Ninja: The Final Duel

Seven Grandmasters

My favorite fighters and stars include:

John Cheung Ng Long

John Liu

Alexander Lo

David Chiang

Raymond Liu

Wilson Tong

Chi Kuan Chun

Mark Long

Jack Long

I'll be posting reviews from time-to-time and look forward to getting to know some of you guys!

Cheers!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum, your in good company, the forum has great info over the years on many movies.

If you like horror have you seen some of the Shaw Brothers horrors? Like Boxer's Omen and Bewitched? 

Archived