New Samurai Short Film from Gareth Evans - Starring Yayan Ruhian & Cecep Arif Rahman

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

While most people spend their holiday relaxing, others, such as Gareth Evans, decide to use the opportunity to test out some cool choreography ideas with their kick ass visitors like Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Arif Rahman.

Check it out below, along with his original Twitter post -

CZhndoOUEAAqyIG.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

He is my favorite director. Totally engrossed in the whole short. Fight scene was better than most action movies this year. Is that the female version of Iko Uwais? Why isn't this thread exploding yet?

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

This is fantastic. Thanks for posting @One Armed Boxer

EDIT: In which I realize there is now more than 1 Gareth E directing films...

Excellent. 

Awesome short, The score was good and swordplay was great. When he says he wanted to try some stuff out, you think he's toying with doing a period piece? Also loved the black and white tone, reminded me of film school when they said to hide the lesser quality of props and is also 'arty' so cool to see it in motion here, and to top it off he kept his promise of no blood in the fight for his kid. Nice choreography as normal for those guys, can't wait until his next project gets started:)

Good direction and overall look of the short. You just can tell that it's not a work of an amateur. It actually looks like a part of a real movie, so kudos to Gareth.

But the choreo is boring as hell. They just keep hitting each other back and forth. It can easily drag on for another 15-30-45 minutes. I didn't see any original, fresh or exciting ideas. Totally mediocre stuff for fanboys. Considering that the whole purpose of this short was trying out some new choreo ideas, I say they failed

Well I enjoyed it (plus if nothing else it's nice to see Wales represented in a martial arts scene, too few action sequences happen there!). Plus considering the tiny timeframe in which Gareth shot it, is very impressive.

Archived