Flash Point: Resurgence (2025) - Donnie Yen

DiP

Damn you beat me to it! Well this is unexpected and very much welcome news! I just rewatched the end fight of Flashpoint, my word I'd forgotten just how insanely awesome it actually is. If it's even half as good as that then I'll be impressed!

• Like 1

Donnie will continue to make Hong Kong movies, it's just that he likes to try something new at the moment hence for his roles in CTHD 2 and Rogue One. But he has assured us that he won't leave the Hong Kong scene for Hollywood again like he did 15 years ago. To him, filming is filming regardless of location.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

This has been dormant for a few years, but it seems to be moving forward at quite a pace. Now called Flash Point: Resurgence, no director is yet attached and Donnie is currently the only confirmed cast member. Given how the end fight in the original is one his best ever, I cannot wait to see what he comes up with!

https://www.screendaily.com/news/ip-man-5-among-three-donnie-yen-films-revealed-at-cannes-exclusive/5182183.article

Edited by SamSeed
  • Like 2

This, and Misjudgement sounds promising! Donnie should stick to moderns from now on.

Edited by DiP

Scott Adkins, who is a big fan the original 2007 movie (and of Donnie Yen and his movies in general), took it to Donnie's IG to express his excitement over the sequel. Donnie responds with this... 😎

Screenshot_20230518_212424_Instagram.jpg

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

Scott Adkins participating would be awesome. If it were pre-Handover like the first one, they could easily do a buddy-cop thriller.

The idea of making this is a bit of a headscratcher in 2023, since a) the film is a prequel to SPL, b) his character dies in SPL, and c) it's been 16 years since Flash Point. Granted, Donnie has aged better than, say, Jet Li, but still.

Having said that, I will use this opportunity to ask: who could Donnie Yen fight in this, assuming he wants a high-quality finale?

Since his career ressurgence in 2005, Donnie has gone toe-to-toe with Wu Jing, Sammo Hung (twice), Collin Chou, Louis Fan, Cung Le, Chen Kuan-Tai, Lo Meng, the late Fung Hak-Ok, the late Darren Shahlavi, Andy On (twice), the late Jimmy Wang Yu, Wang Baoqiang (twice), Mike Tyson, Max Zhang, Chris Collins, Scott Adkins, Keanu Reeves...

At this point, who's left among the big bruisers of MA cinema? Philip Ng, Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, Michael Jai White, Vincent Zhao (if those two can kiss and make up), Tim Man, Kane Kosugi...

• Like 1

I got some names beside Scott Adkins that would be great choices for fighting Donnie onscreen... Mark Dacascos (the two met up for the first time at the L.A. premier of John Wick 4), Joe Taslim, Tony Jaa (making up for their wasted opportunity in xXx: RoZC), and Michael Jai White. As much as I love the idea of Donnie working with Vincent Zhao, it ain't happening ever again. Zhao only has himself to blame for that.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrNgor said:

The idea of making this is a bit of a headscratcher in 2023, since a) the film is a prequel to SPL, b) his character dies in SPL, and c) it's been 16 years since Flash Point. Granted, Donnie has aged better than, say, Jet Li, but still.

Flash Point being a prequel to SPL has been shutdown by none other than Donnie himself. I think he explained it in one interview during the mid 2010s. The characters' names in both movies are not the same either.

SPL was co-produced by Paco Wong's former company, Abba Movies Company Ltd, and Macanese-based 1618 Action LtdFlash Point was produced by Raymond Wong's Mandarin Films, and China-based Polybona Films and Beijing Enlight Pictures Ltd. Movie rights to SPL couldn't be bought from Paco Wong so Donnie and Raymond made their own separate "follow-up".

As for true sequels to SPL, there's SPL 2 and Paradox.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

One Armed Boxer
4 hours ago, DrNgor said:

The idea of making this is a bit of a headscratcher in 2023, since a) the film is a prequel to SPL, b) his character dies in SPL, and c) it's been 16 years since Flash Point.

3 hours ago, DiP said:

Flash Point being a prequel to SPL has been shutdown by none other than Donnie himself. I think he explained it in one interview during the mid 2010s. The characters' names in both movies are not the same either.

Yeah it was Dennis Law’s 'Fatal Move' that was based on a story originally intended to be a prequel to 'SPL' (and brought back Sammo, Wu Jing, and Simon Yam), but as far as I'm aware 'Flash Point' was always a separate movie.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Yeah it was Dennis Law’s 'Fatal Move' that was based on a story originally intended to be a prequel to 'SPL' (and brought back Sammo, Wu Jing, and Simon Yam), but as far as I'm aware 'Flash Point' was always a separate movie.

Considering what we read in Kozo's review back in 2007, I don't think it was general knowledge at the time.

Yen is Inspector Ma, the same protagonist from the 2005 action fan-favorite SPL. Flash Point takes place prior to Ma's involvement with Simon Yam, Sammo Hung, etc., so he's even more explosively angry than in that film, having not been tempered by his unfortunate crippling of a suspect (played in SPL by Timmy Hung, who also shows up in Flash Point as likely a different character).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2023 at 1:35 AM, DrNgor said:

Considering what we read in Kozo's review back in 2007, I don't think it was general knowledge at the time.

According to Hong Kong Movie Database, his character in SPL is named Ma Kwan, and his character in Flash Point Jun Ma. I think Kozo got it a bit twisted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DiP said:

According to Hong Kong Movie Database, his character in SPL is named Ma Kwan, and his character in Flash Point Jun Ma. I think Kozo got it a bit twisted.

First of all, I have already conceded.

Second, I quoted Kozo's review as a way of pointing out that at the time, it could have been understood by anybody (who didn't spend time comparing names at the HKMDB or reading articles at Wu-Jing.org) that Flash Point was a prequel to SPL. Same lead, same director, the main character's name is similar enough that non-film geeks could assume they're one and the same. I also want to say that both films are set in the late 90s, but it's been a while since I've seen Flash Point.

But whatever, this part of the chat doesn't need to be dragged on much further.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

Oh I'm definitely stoked for the sequel. Love the first movie, some incredible hard ass fight choreography, brutal at times too. 

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
On 2/11/2024 at 8:51 AM, DiP said:

Casting is undergoing, and shooting starts in April. Donnie hopes to break new grounds once again 17 years after the first movie's release.

https://hktopten.blogspot.com/2024/02/20240211-donnie-yen-lights-up-flash.html?m=1

What it's been 17 years since the first FP!? Man I feel old!

Flashpoint is such a cool and fun film. The end fight against Colin Chou is awesome!

:cool

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1