Daniel Bernhardt

AlbertV

csm_daniel-bernhardt_472360144e.jpg

Daniel Bernhardt is known for replacing Jean-Claude Van Damme in three sequels to the film Bloodsport and his appearances in The Matrix sequels and recently, John Wick.

Born August 31, 1965 in Switzerland, Daniel Bernhardt began his martial arts training at the age of 17. He originally planned to become an architecture designer when he was approached by a modeling agency. In addition, he had opened a martial arts school with his brother. Bernhardt's style in Tae Kwon Do. After moves to Paris and New York to jump start his modeling career, he was discovered by Alan Mehrez, a film producer who was looking for a replacement for Jean-Claude Van Damme on a sequel to Bloodsport. Impressed with his martial arts, Mehrez cast Bernhardt in the lead role of Alex Cardo, a thief with a good heart in Bloodsport II. For his film training, Bernhardt trained with Grand Master Hee Il Cho to perfect his taekwondo while working with fight choreographer Philip Tan, who co-starred in the film as Alex's traitorous partner. The film was shot back-to-back with Bloodsport III.

Bernhardt began to lead other 90's B-movie actioners such as Future War for Silver Screen International, True Vengeance (which co-starred Roger Yuan), Perfect Target for director Sheldon Lettich. In 1998, Bernhardt starred as Siro on the spin-off series Mortal Kombat: Conquest as well as play a new character, John Keller, in the final installment Bloodsport: The Dark Kumite. In 2003, Bernhardt played Agent Johnson in The Matrix Reloaded and 2005's The Cutter, which he faced off against Chuck Norris as the film's villain.

Bernhardt is currently both an actor and an occasional stuntman as well as a producer. He produced Prachya Pinkaew's international debut, Elephant White, starring Djimon Hounsou and Kevin Bacon. He took on Jason Statham in Parker. He recently made an impact as the Russian mafia assassin Kirill in John Wick. Bernhardt made his Bollywood debut in a short appearance in the remake of the MMA film Warrior, entitled Brothers. He recently wrapped up roles in two upcoming crime films, Precious Cargo and Term Life.

Bernhardt is married to actress Lisa Stothard, whom he met on the set of Bloodsport: The Dark Kumite. Stothard played Keller's partner in the film. She is best known for her appearance as the Austrian woman who Jim Carrey fails to flirt with in the opening scene of Dumb and Dumber. The couple have a daughter, Bella. 

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0076780/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 4

Just noticed your post Albert, for years I wrongly thought this guy was just a poor mans Van Damme. I only got round to seeing the Bloodsport sequels last summer. Bernhardt impressed me with his skills in those films. I've been keeping an eye out for some of his other film roles since then.

ShaOW!linDude

If you have Netflix, seasons of the old MST3K (Mystery Science Theater 3000) on there, and Season 1 Ep 4 is Future War starring Daniel Bernhardt. This is one of the better eps, too. It has some great lines and I was laughing out loud at times. The movie is horrible. This is the best way to watch. Trust me. :tongueout

• Like 1

My girlfriend is a big fan of the new Lethal Weapon series, and look who turned up in a recent Martial Arts themed episode.

MV5BMjUxNjU3M2UtMGIwZC00OTUzLTk0OGItNTM4

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2