Have Sword, Will Travel (1969)

Abbot Flash

Guest Markgway

Couldn't get the second clip to work, but wasn't that impressed with the first one. The guy that dubs Ti Lung is the clown that puts 'r's into every word. "My Mar and Par in Chiner"...etc... Couldn't ever choose to listen to that over the Mandarin dub.

Guest killer meteor

I think it's a good dub. The dubs of the 60's tend to feature better sounding performers than the free-for-all mess they became in the latter part of the 70's

...thanks for sharing...

But even though this dub seems to be slightly better done than most dubs I've seen, it still makes me cringe. To me it always seems that guys in dubbed versions tend to sound like retards. I am afraid this clip was no exception. Poor Ti Lung...

Dubs of Chinese films seldom work out well (I've seen English ones, Czech ones, Hungarian ones and a French one - and they all terribly sucked.)

In any event, I am glad I could compare the Chinese and the English versions... So thanks again for that. "Have Sword, Will Travel" is a fabulous film...:-)

magnificent is the only way i can descibe it. i,ve been searching for an english dub of this one for years. now the obvious question..WHERE CAN I GET A COPY? abbot flash--care to make a deal ?

• Like 1

Guest DAJIZZARIZZA

i'm sorry,.. but am i the only one who thinks that dub of have sword will travel ,.. is quite robotic ,.. without feeling.

only a few dubs were great back in the shaw days ,.. most sound like drunk british sailors ,.. no put american vioices on them ,..lol and they sound like proper boys stoked off the green stuff.

bad dubbing.

now let me watch the 2nd one.

Guest morgoth

Well it is a pretty serious movie. If it was a comedy they would be a little more lively. If you didn't like the dub for HSWT then don't even bother with Disciples.

Guest oldeschool17
i'm sorry,.. but am i the only one who thinks that dub of have sword will travel ,.. is quite robotic ,.. without feeling.

You werent the only one. I mean its a piece from 69' so the fighting was meh. I liked the concept/ plot of the movie, just the execution and fighting was below standard for me. I thought Li Ching was quite the porker in this one.

"Couldn't get the second clip to work, but wasn't that impressed with the first one. The guy that dubs Ti Lung is the clown that puts 'r's into every word. "My Mar and Par in Chiner"...etc... Couldn't ever choose to listen to that over the Mandarin dub."

I noticed that too, but then I realised that most of people do that in real life. He just happens to accentuate them a little more. It only adds to being an authentic dub to me, besides it's not a competition of how often the dubbers read the dictionary, as long as the voice suits the character and they don't speak in a horrendous accent. I'm happy.

It's a shame we couldn't pick at the pronunciation mistakes in the Mandarin too. :rollin

• Like 1

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

I'm pretty sure this kind of mispronunciation is caused by British and Australian dubbers trying to do what they think is an American accent. Because English and Australian people don't really pronounce the letter 'r' unless it's at the start of the word or following a consonant, to them the 'r' sound as pronounced by Americans sounds thicker and exaggerated. So when they adopt American accents, they have to compensate for this, and pronounce words with hard r-sounds, e.g. 'after', instead of 'aftah'. Very often, though, they apply this compensation inappropriately.

I noticed that too, but then I realised that most of people do that in real life.

Sorry, but nobody in real life says things like "I will take you to Chiner to learn about Booder and meet the Lammer."

Ever.

HSWT is a great movie, though, and Ching Li is absolutely gorgeous in it.

Sorry, but nobody in real life says things like "I will take you to Chiner to learn about Booder and meet the Lammer."

You'd be surprised my friend, you'll be duly surprised.

As for the British/Australian to American transition, it's an interesting theory, but I've never heared anyone make such grossly disproportionate adulteration of accent misrepresentation, so I tend to believe it isn't true.

I've also met a few people that have actually met the dubbers in real life and they say they actually speak like that.

In the end, who knows.

• Like 1

Guest killer meteor

The HSWT dubbing team did more Golden Harvest than Shaws. Ti Lung's dubber was still going in the 80s - and not doing a bad job in those

Let's face it, it's a million times better than effeminate old coot (Hung Hsi-kuan in Heroes Two), John Inman immitator crossed with a robot (The Snake in THe Five Venoms), whiny dude (Lee Yi-min in 7 Commandments Of Kung Fu) or any of those pseudo-British jokers who screwed up Eagle's Claws and The Tatoo Connection

Guest Markgway

Ever.

Me neither.

I guess Abbot knows different people than us. :b

And I'm Scots so I know all about the over-pronounciation of 'r's. :D

Guest gfanikf

Listen to Bey Logan on commentaries at times. Its not that odd. Especially when he says China.

You either love the dubbers who make the r sounds at the end of words or you don't. I love it when they do that.<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>

I think its very true. I think for me it was because I grew up watching the Godzilla films as a kid, especially the late 1970s on VHS (which used the same dub teams) helped create an intense nostalgic feeling for those voices. So when I started hearing them on the Shaws, man i

<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->