What a year 1978 was!

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

Could it be argued that 1978 (the year I was born!) is the single greatest year ever for Martial Arts films? I mean look at this list!

Crippled Avengers
Five Deadly Venoms
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Heroes of the East
The Avenging Eagle
Warrirors Two
Snake in the Eagles Shadow
Drunken Master

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others. But that's an impressive list of great films. You could even make the argument that LKL, YWP, and CS all released their best movie this year. I think this is also a significant year because this was around the time of the last hurrah for Shaw Brothers and the beginnning of Golden Harvest becoming the new champ of kung fu.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

I don't know if it was the best year for fu but it was a great year.  Here's some more favorites from 1978.

Master and the Kid

Goose Boxer

Cotton Mill

Challenge of Death

7 Grandmasters

Iron Swallow

Phantom Kung Fu

Born Invincible

My Life's on the Line

Murder of Murders

Dirty Tiger Crazy Frog

Secret Executioner
3 hours ago, Morgoth Bauglir said:

Phantom Kung Fu

Born Invincible

Great call on these - they are classics. :thumbsup 

Interesting post Iron Leopard, hard to say which year was the best but this thread certainly shows 1978 was something special. It seems a lot of Hong Kong talent were on top form that year.

On 09/01/2016 at 2:29 AM, Morgoth Bauglir said:

I don't know if it was the best year for fu but it was a great year.  Here's some more favorites from 1978.

Phantom Kung Fu

Born Invincible

My Life's on the Line

Murder of Murders

Dirty Tiger Crazy Frog

Phantom Kung Fu has moved further up my to watch list now.

Is Phantom Kung Fu the one with like 5 Don Wong Tao's? I hardly remember the movie, Ill need to give it a rewatch very soon.

Secret Executioner
13 hours ago, paimeifist said:

Is Phantom Kung Fu the one with like 5 Don Wong Tao's? I hardly remember the movie, Ill need to give it a rewatch very soon.

It has Chang Yi as a master of a hand technique who's after documents held by a group of rebels. He kills one who seems to keep coming back to life to haunt him thanks to a special technique that makes one near immortal. Great film. :cool 

Yeah 1978 was a great year indeed though in my neck of the woods at that time, 1976 - 1980 was the golden era of " shapes "

Morgoth Bauglir
6 hours ago, Secret Executioner said:

It has Chang Yi as a master of a hand technique who's after documents held by a group of rebels. He kills one who seems to keep coming back to life to haunt him thanks to a special technique that makes one near immortal. Great film. :cool 

That's right palm of death vs the phantom kung fu.  And also double dragons:coveredlaugh:coveredlaugh

Secret Executioner
15 minutes ago, Morgoth Bauglir said:

That's right palm of death vs the phantom kung fu.  And also double dragons:coveredlaugh:coveredlaugh

They were originally the Heaven's Dragon, then became the Five Dragons and now they're only two - and the leader won't accept Chang Yi's offer cause he just gave up drinking. :tongueout 

Damn this movie's awesome.

Archived