The Films of Hideo Gosha

Guest Yakuza954

Guest Yakuza954

I just finished watching Three Outlaw Samurai and along with Criterion's recent release of Sword of the Beast, I have been incredibly impressed by this man's work. Not since Akira Kurosawa has a director left such an initial impression on me. Both were solid, solid movies that avoided becoming too extravagant or over-flamboyant, and as a result feel very much natural and human. Like Akira Kurosawa, Gosha directs with a silent and confident air- Three Outlaw Samurai, his directing debut, would be the crowning achievement for most other directors; for Gosha its one of many classics in a remarkable filmography.

And the best part about it is that I've yet to see 95% of this filmography or even the most critically acclaimed films like Goyokin and Tenchu. Luckilly I have them in my possession and others like Samurai Wolf, The Wolves, and Four Days of Snow and Blood that I'm just waiting to eat up.

But the thing is, this great director has so little information available online and is still very much unknown. For all you more experienced Japanese movie-watching peeps, how do you feel about Gosha? I'm interested in hearing any opinons, information or recommended viewings; Hideo Gosha is truly a director to be rediscovered.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I agree Yak, probably my favorite Samurai film director. I know many wont agree, but I prefer his films over Kurasowa's. I have yet to see a film from Gosha that I didnt love.

Oh and Yak, you need to watch Tenchu ASAP!! It might be my all-time favorite Samurai flick! So dont hesitate, go NOW!! :D

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Goyokin very high on my list as well!!

Will do, can't wait to get Goyokin from you either.

Its done and ready to ship out on monday. Youll have it by the end of the week!!

Guest Squid Lips

I just watched Sword Of The Beast for the first time yesterday and was very happy with it. Like his other films had a great story and was done with lots of heart. I love the relationships in most of his films. Beast had some great sword fighting as well.

Though Kurosawa is still my favorite per his out put, I easily include Gosha with him and Ozu as my favorite Japanese directors.

Guest Yakuza954

The scene in the dark where the camera is zoomed in on the main character's face as he talks about how the mountain they're on is hell and how it makes everyone on it beasts, is absolutely amazing.. Left chills in me even after I saw it. Three Outlaw Samurai is also the quintessential "samurai western".

Guest Yakuza954

I liked it too, though I thought the use of slow motion got repetitive. This and Samurai Wolf 2 just got new remastered widescreen releases in France, along with Goyokin. I believe another box set has also been released and another is on the way. None of the releases have english subs but over at ninja dojo I read Merlin will eventually release them subbed. Expensive though :lol

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I've just watched The Wolves 71' by Gosha. It was well done but somewhat anti-climatic. The ending fights were very disappointing (with the exception of a few). In fact there is very little fighting in this yakuza film.

A quick summary;

In 1928 there is a change in the head of Japan's government, 363 inmates are released due to a general amnesty instated by the new leader, Tatsuya Nakadai being one of them.

When Iwahashi (Tatsuya) returns to his gang (The Enokiya) he discovers the rival gangs are calling a truce, instigated by an powerful outsider (Tetsuro Tanba), but there is a great deal of tension due to how recent their prior fights were and the early release of the gangsters responsible for killing the Kannon gang's leader. Tatsuya killed him. The Enokiya boss was also murdered while Tatsuya was in prison.

Iwahashi is offered the position of boss to the Enokiya Gang now that he's out of prison. During that time his sworn brother of 15 years (Sakaki) has been running the show. Iwahashi declines the offer leaving Sakaki in power.

In order to prove their good intentions the Enokiya Gang promises to marry off a woman who grew up in their gang to the Kannon Gang's leader. This woman was supposed to wed Tatsuya's best friend, Komaki Kurihara? (the guy in The Water Margin called, Golden Spear), but he was sent to prison and served only four years out of his eight sentenced. On his return he's almost assassinated by two japanese women carrying umbrellas (these two are very cool about their killing).

Another friend of Tatsuya's, a female tattoo artist who he drinks with early in the story then mysteriously disappears, informs him later in the story that she was ordered to tattoo his boss while an assassin sent by his own gang member (Sakaki) murders the boss of the Enokiya Gang. This infuriates Tatsuya who now realizes his sworn brother of 15 years has betrayed him and is trying to become leader elect of all the gangs in the area.

Tatsuya returns to the Enokiya Gang's premises to avenge their boss' honour and kill all involved with the plot. Now, there is'nt too much fighting in the film to begin with (with the exception of an excellent bar brawl earlier in the story), so your hoping this is where the action begins, and it does. Unfortunately, Gosha seemed to be trying to display these (finale) fight scenes with a little too much realism, which diffuses the action, and leaves the viewer disappointed as a result. There are a few killings which are convincing, but there is too much senseless struggling going on through many of the fights, especially the long anticipated showdown of Tatsuya and Sakaki at the very end. This last fight scene is very disappointing.

This film is beautifully shot. Hideo Gosha must be one of the very best in this genre with his cinematography. There is a beach scene shot from above at a distance which is simply stunning, as the waves roll in then receed the whole beach transforms, alternating from black to white, quite a striking technique with filming.

The score is a combination of very cool authentic japanese biwa and drum playing accompanied by vocals, then there are some jazzy sax themes strewn throughout the story. This is'nt destructive to the film being appreciated, it works.

Overall, the film is important for any Tatsuya fan to possess, for he is excellent in this movie. In fact everyone in this film does a great job. There are a few loose ends in the story, but nothing that makes the plot, or dialogue insensible.

I'd rate this film at around 6/10

Goyokin is easily a 9/10 and something any new comer to the genre should view before The Wolves.

Guest venoms5

SAMURAI WOLF 1 and 2 are already out subbed from fareastflix. John does all his own subtitling and even does some for that Merlin guy. BTW I just got one of Goshas' Yakuza films called VIOLENT STREETS with Bunta Sugawara and Tetsuro Tanba. I don't know much about the Samurai(or Yakuza)films outside of LONE WOLF or ZATOICHI but I'm seeing more of these that are deserving of (re)discovery.

Guest Yakuza954
BTW I just got one of Goshas' Yakuza films called VIOLENT STREETS with Bunta Sugawara and Tetsuro Tanba.

Wow. I didn't know Gosha directed this. I saw this a while ago and it's a very good Yakuza movie, on par with much of Fukasaku's work.

Guest venoms5

Have you seen the YAKUZA PAPERS box set that features 8 or 9 dvds of Fukasakus gangster movies? It's (over)loaded with special features. I've been told I should get it and it is reasonably priced.

Guest Yakuza954

Yeah, I believe its 5 movies from the entire Yakuza Papers series and 2 disks with extras. The two first movies are the best, but considering the entire package, its a good buy if you can afford it.

Guest strutr74

I just got Wolf 1 and 2 the French remasters. Very impressed with the HIGH quality of these flick...Flawless remaster jobs...pick em up, well worth it.

Guest Yakuza954

I saw Samurai Wolf again and it was much better then I remember it being the the first time. I believe the superior picture quality this time around had something to do with it. Probably a top 10 samurai movie for me now. Saw Samurai Wolf 2 right after, and though I enjoyed seeing Kiba Omannuiske again (spelling?), it had a few problems. For starters, the first Samurai Wolf seemed to work well as a standalone film, but this one seemed to have the plan of creating a constant storyline like in the Zatoichi films.. only problem is, no other Samurai Wolf films were ever made, so it feels incomplete. The cast of characters isn't as strong as the first either, with no "God of Evil" or mute/deaf samurai carrying monkeys on their backs. The end fight was also anti-climatic in comparison, and that guy who Kiba befriended in the basket was a letdown. This is sorta to be expected though, as sequels are rarely as good as the original. Still a good film.

Just watched Goyokin last night and all I can say is WOW! This film rocked, I was blown away, I liked it better than Tenchu and Sword of the Beast (both great movies on their own). Tatsuya Nakadai once again was brillant, has the man ever been in a bad movie. One small thing that bothered me -

SPOILER

When they had Tatsuya and the agent tied up at the end, it was like an old batman tv show, they could have just killed him right there, small gripe, the end fight scene more than made up for it, those guys in the masks beating the drums was awesome, would love to get the soundtrack to this movie.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Just watched my Criterion Sword Of The Beast last nite for the first time. Great video quality on this disc from Criterion, I didnt notice any scrathes or imperfections on the print. And a great all around production (story, direction, action, acting). Noticed that SOTB and Goyokin had some similarities in their storylines (I thought Goyokin was the much better film though). I liked how the main character teetered on the edge of being a beast and a Samurai. If I had any complaint at all it would be the ending. Left a few issues unresolved. Another gem in the outstanding filmography of Gosha.

Archived