What is the first kung fu movie for you in 2016?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

January 6, 2016.

I have yet to watch a kung fu movie thus far this year.

How about you all.........what will be your first kung fu movie of the new year?

bruce-lee.jpg

GD Y-Y 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner

Not sure if it counts as Fu, but my first MA movie of the year (and first movie of the year altogether) was Tommy Cheung's Ninja: American Warrior.

Ninja American Warrior French VHS.jpg

Mine was Death Promise, starring karatekas Charles Bonet, Bill Louie, Speedy Leacock, and the late Thompson Kao Kang.

death_promise_us1sh.jpg

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Gosh, I watched so much this weekend. I think Human Lanterns (1982). 

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

My first 'kung fu movie' of 2106 is:

6.jpeg

雙形鷹爪手
Shaolin Invincible Guys (1978)

Alias: Shaolin Deadly Hands
Alias : 中計
Genre: Martial Arts 

Director
  Raymond Lui Shing-Gung

Script
  Ni Kuang
  Raymond Lui Shing-Gung

Action Directors
  Lee Chiu (2)
  Wong Fei-Lung

Producer
  Lei Wei-Lun

blank.gif

Cast
  Raymond Lui Shing-Gung    
  Chi Kuan-Chun    
  Wen Chiang-Long    
  Shut Chung-Tin    
  Tso Yen-Yung    
  Chen Siu-Chen    
  Tsang Chiu    
  Wong Fei-Lung    
  So Kwok-Leung    
  Wong Chi-Sang    
  Chen Chiu    
  Ho Hing-Nam    
  Chu Siu-Wa    
  Woo Hon-Cheung    
  Man Lee-Pang    
  Choi Chung-Chau    
  Lam Man-Cheung    
  Chu Hsiang    
  Lam Gwong-Wing ... [Extra]

Production Company
  Success Film (H.K.) Company Ltd

Production Manager
  Yip Hoi-Ching

Presenter
  Raymond Lui Shing-Gung

GD Y-Y

Haven't watched much fu of late but, the other night, I felt the need for an earlier Chang Cheh film so I popped in THE DEADLY DUO 雙 (1971). It was only my second viewing since its Celestial release in 2004. Standard CC fare for early 70s. It got better once David/John got involved. Classic bridge sequence and a top notch finale. Always love to see the Shaw exteriors and this film had some nice ones. Photo spread is from the Hong Kong Movie News (February 1972). The other is a screen grab of Chang Cheh in a behind-the-scenes moment with Yau Lung (Prince Kang).

TDD1.thumb.jpg.6c59c7fa521b777eab4a5c2d4TDD2.jpg.03b9c2c7138bf30e7e3202347376b22

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Thanks for posting those Teako, a fun way to start 2016 .

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
16 hours ago, teako170 said:

Haven't watched much fu of late but, the other night, I felt the need for an earlier Chang Cheh film so I popped in THE DEADLY DUO 雙 (1971). It was only my second viewing since its Celestial release in 2004. Standard CC fare for early 70s. It got better once David/John got involved. Classic bridge sequence and a top notch finale. Always love to see the Shaw exteriors and this film had some nice ones. Photo spread is from the Hong Kong Movie News (February 1972). The other is a screen grab of Chang Cheh in a behind-the-scenes moment with Yau Lung (Prince Kang).

TDD1.thumb.jpg.6c59c7fa521b777eab4a5c2d4TDD2.jpg.03b9c2c7138bf30e7e3202347376b22

Yes one of my favorite dynamic duo films,

Nice pic of Chang Cheh

GD Y-Y

One Armed Boxer

Finally got to watch my first kung-fu movie of 2016 on 21st January when 'Ip Man 3' opened on the cinema.  A great way to start the year, and completely made up for going almost a month with no fu!

19 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Finally got to watch my first kung-fu movie of 2016 on 21st January when 'Ip Man 3' opened on the cinema.  A great way to start the year, and completely made up for going almost a month with no fu!

Are you planning on writing a review of this one OAB? be interested to hear your thoughts on it. Already read the review posted on CityOnFire & a couple of funny one's written by mainstream movie critics. The reviews were not intentionally funny but some of their comments made me laugh.

One Armed Boxer
5 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Are you planning on writing a review of this one OAB? be interested to hear your thoughts on it. Already read the review posted on CityOnFire & a couple of funny one's written by mainstream movie critics. The reviews were not intentionally funny but some of their comments made me laugh.

Hey DC, yeah my fellow cityonfire contributor Zach beat me to the punch on writing a review for this one, as it seems LA had some advance screenings before it went on general release in the US.  So in answer to your question, no I won't be giving it the full review treatment, however I wouldn't hesitate to say that 'Ip Man 3' puts right everything what was wrong with the sequel, which for me, was a lot.  Ip Man is no longer the saviour of China here, instead he's back to being a character that we can relate to with very human problems, and a story which connects.  Oh, and of course, the fight action is fantastic, which was another issue that I had with the sequel.  Despite my dread at Mike Tyson's inclusion, and my general dislike of the whole boxing vs kung-fu principle as an onscreen fight, their match-up is actually a highlight of the movie.

19 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Hey DC, yeah my fellow cityonfire contributor Zach beat me to the punch on writing a review for this one, as it seems LA had some advance screenings before it went on general release in the US.  So in answer to your question, no I won't be giving it the full review treatment, however I wouldn't hesitate to say that 'Ip Man 3' puts right everything what was wrong with the sequel, which for me, was a lot.  Ip Man is no longer the saviour of China here, instead he's back to being a character that we can relate to with very human problems, and a story which connects.  Oh, and of course, the fight action is fantastic, which was another issue that I had with the sequel.  Despite my dread at Mike Tyson's inclusion, and my general dislike of the whole boxing vs kung-fu principle as an onscreen fight, their match-up is actually a highlight of the movie.

Thanks for the feedback regarding Ip Man 3 OAB, interesting to read you thoughts on it. Sometime this year I plan to buy the latest film and re-watch the first two.

Archived