Japanese Game of Death Storyline from 1974 needs Translating

greenbamboo

Hi,

If any Japanese friends can help translating this to English for research purposes it will be greatly appreciated.

Please find the original storyline for Bruce Lee's Game of Death which I have scanned from my Young Idol Now magazine published in 1974 at the following link:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/256969/message/1452001691/1974+Game+of+Death+Storyline+in+Japanese+-+Part+1

Thank you,

Nick Clarke - Bruce Lee Lives Tribute forum owner

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, greenbamboo said:

Kidnap call at airport pic. Story released in Japan in 1974.

1974GAMEstory.jpg

Thanks for sharing this here GreenBamboo.

Game Of Death continues to intrigue fans because there's so many questions left unanswered.

2 hours ago, greenbamboo said:

Thanks DragonClaws and agreed. This story was released 25 years before A Warrior's Journey.

This publication might be where the producers of the Game Of Death themed clone films got some of their ideas from?. Or they had been talking to people involved in the making of Lee's version.

I believe they must have talked with someone involved in Lee's version. Possibly Tadashi Nishimoto being Japanese. He was going to start preliminary filming in August 73 in South Korea.

42 minutes ago, greenbamboo said:

I believe they must have talked with someone involved in Lee's version. Possibly Tadashi Nishimoto being Japanese. He was going to start preliminary filming in August 73 in South Korea.

By the time Raymond Chow decided to release some of Lee's fight footage the original ideas had already been exploited. That's why they changed the story and the fact Lee's co-star Chieh Yuen had passed away too.

Yeah, I would really like to see a better bio-pick or doc about the making of this film. I think it is possible that had Lee lived to finish this, that it would probably be my favorite of his. The crazy thing is that we have 40 minutes of fighting, a little bit of the "outdoor"/training sequence, some outtakes and possible still photos. I wonder if there is still some more footage of Lee in action/footage shot that has yet to be released. Or, is that footage now in the hands of private collectors? I think it was Bey Logan that said that some of the GOD footage might be in private hands at this point; stolen from the Golden Harvest vaults. Fortune Star are certainly no help as it does seem that they are not interested in tracking down any missing Lee material (if there is any). Of course, it would be interesting to see how his movie idea would have changed or turned out.

It would have been so easy to bring in Sammo and a good crew to shoot the script that Bruce started; just don't invite Robert Clouse to the party. It could have been ready for Chinese New Year of 74. All they needed was a good writer to finish off/expand Bruce`s story. There were enough characters in the film that they really could have expanded their roles just enough to fill in the gaps for a 90 min movie, along with the Bruce footage they had (pagoda and outdoor). They may have been able to use outtakes (if there were any) from the airport scene in Way for the airport scene in GOD. As well, they could have used a Lee double for any non fighting scenes. Just shoot from behind, or distance shot or at an angle that would not give it away that it wasn't Bruce. As long as they didn't go to the extreme that they did in the GH officially released version, then they would have been ok. It should have been a great homage to Bruce`s legacy instead of the embarrassing tragedy that it turned out to be. Bruce`s legacy deserved so much better.  

I'm working on transcribing all of the Japanese writing into a document so I can send it to some of my friends who are fluent in Japanese. I'll hopefully have a translation sometime next week.

Hi Ken, Thank you for your help on this matter. It would be great to read a properly English translated copy. Crossing the suspension bridge is in this story before getting to the pagoda. You can see a photo of the bridge to be used in Bruc Lee''s office in 1973.

ropebridge2.jpg

On 1/10/2016 at 5:01 AM, greenbamboo said:

Hi Ken, Thank you for your help on this matter. It would be great to read a properly English translated copy.

So sorry, it's been taking so long. This has been a bit harder than I had anticipated. It should be done soon. Sorry for the delay.

20 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

So sorry, it's been taking so long. This has been a bit harder than I had anticipated. It should be done soon. Sorry for the delay.

Hi Ken, Thanks for the update. Don't worry about how long it takes. I very much appreciate you doing this for ALL Bruce Lee fans to read in English so a massive thanks!

Phantom Dreamer
On 1/31/2016 at 8:28 AM, KenHashibe said:

Take your time, looking forward to the translation.

Archived