How many of these spaghetti westerns have you seen?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

How many have you seen and which one was your favorite?

GD Y-Y

A Fistful of Djangos

poster-django4.jpg?resize=246%2C261July 5 – 15, 2010
A Fistful of Djangos Spaghetti Western Festival
Click on the film title to go to the film’s review. As always, comments are kept open indefinitely and we welcome any thoughts or questions you might have.

poster django

July 5th

Django (1966)

[by Will]

Director: Sergio Corbucci
Starring: Franco Nero, José Bódalo, Loredana Nusciak, Eduardo Fajardo, Ángel Álvarez

.DjangotheBastard

July 6th

Django the Bastard (1969)

AKA
“Django the Avenger”
“The Strangers Gundown”

[by Uncle Jasper]

Director: Sergio Garrone
Starring: Anthony Steffen, Paolo Gozlino, Luciano Rossi, Teodoro Corra, Jean Louis

.djangokillssoftly

July 7th

Django Kills Softly (1967)

AKA
“Django Kills Silently”

[by Will]

Director: Massimo Pupillo (as Max Hunter)
Starring: George Eastman, Luciano Rossi, Liana Orfei, Mimmo Maggio, Peter Hellman

.sonofdjango

July 8th

Son of Django (1967)

AKA
“Return of Django”
“Vengeance is a Colt 45”

[by Uncle Jasper]

Director: Osvaldo Civirani
Starring: Gabriele Tinti, Guy Madison, Ingrid Schoeller, Daniele Vargas, Ignazio Spalla

dontwaitdjangoshootJuly 12th

Don’t Wait, Django…Shoot! (1967)

[by Will]

Director: Edoardo Mulargia (as Edward G. Muller)
Starring: Ivan Rassimov (billed as Sean Todd), Ignazio Spalla, Rada Rassimov, Vincenzo Musolino, Gino Buzzanca

djangoandsartanaJuly 13th

Django and Sartana Are Coming…It’s the End (1970)

AKA
“Django and Sartana… Showdown in the West”
“Final Conflict… Django Against Sartana”
“Sartana If Your Left Arm Offends, Cut It Off”

[by Uncle Jasper]

Director: Demofilo Fidani
Starring: Hunt Powers, Gordon Mitchell, Victoriano Gazzara, Simone Blondell, Dennis Colt, Celso Faria

10000bloodmoneyJuly 14th

$10,000 Blood Money (1967)

AKA
“Guns of Violence”
“$10,000 Dollars for a Massacre”

[by Will]

Director: Romolo Guerrieri
Starring: Gianni Garko (billed as Gary Hudson), Fidel Gonzáles, Loredana Nusciak, Adriana Ambesi, Claudio Camaso

djangokillJuly 15th

Django Kill… If You Live, Shoot! (1967)

AKA
“Django Kill”

[by Uncle Jasper]

Director: Giulio Questi
Starring: Tomas Milian, Ray Lovelock, Piero Lulli, Milo Quesada, Roberto Camardiel

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lady Jin Szu-Yi

All of them. And there's only one real Django (along with it's soon to be two sequels), Django (Sergio Corbucci / Franco Nero 1966) and Django Strikes Back (1987.) Nero is finally prepping a third now, but I cannot see that character as an old man. 

Insofar as as other films, three of them boast some of the best actors in Italian genre films / westerns, the rest can be skipped. 

Django if you live Shoot, is a gothic horror spaghetti western. Tomas Milian is wonderful here as his stranger winds up in the erroneously named Happy town. This is an ugly movie on every level (well except for Milian and a very young Ray Lovelock.)

Don't Wait Django, Shoot is pretty good. I love Ivan Rassimov anyway, so it was fun to see him play the stoic spaghetti western style gunslinger. 

10,000 Blood Money might be the film where Gianno Garko plays a sadistic villain, but my memory is shaky. Still, it's Gianno Garko and he's always fun to watch. 

And now onto the clunkers in my not so humble opinion:

Django and Sartana, I dig Fabio Testi but this film is stinker. It's neither Django nor Garko's dapper gunslinger Sartana.  Also not a fan of Son of Django and Django Kills Softly (as much as I like Luigi Monifiore). And the lowest of the low, is Anthony Stiffen (that's what I think of  his acting) Django the Bastard. A waste of time. 

I am sure others will think differently, which is great.

And I hope you enjoy these films Golden Dragon. 

Secret Executioner

The only one I know of is the original Sergio Corbucci directed movie with Franco Nero. I'm considering picking it up, though the DVD is a rarity and is thus a bit expensive.

And you forgot a few movies with a Django in it, like Little Rita nel West* and Tarantino's Django unchained (my fav' so far but manly cause I haven't seen the others).

1008232_fr_django_unchained_135783232233

*  The 1967 oddity - also known as Rita of the West, Crazy Westerners or simply Little Rita - is a Spaghetti Western/musical hybrid where a petite cowgirl named Rita is on mission to destroy all the gold in the world (cause gold is cause of all mankind's problems apparently) with the help of Indians and of a guy named Black Stan played by Terence Hill. On her way, she encounters Mexican bandidos, a "man with no name" rip-off named Ringo and a Django-type of guy that drags a coffin containing a machine gun and gold.

little_rita_nel_far_west_rita_pavone_fer

Only caught three of the above films Django, Django Don't Shoot & Dont Wait Django...Shoot, but missing some of those titles might not be a bad thing.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

There is another Django sequel.  Django, Prepare a Coffin.  Good flick!

That's the Terrance Howard one right? 

If so, I agree that's good. 

@Secret Executioner Really? The Django dvd is that expensive now? I forget if you have all region access, if you do... the 1966 original is still up at Amazon US rather cheaply. 

The only one I know of is the original Sergio Corbucci directed movie with Franco Nero. I'm considering picking it up, though the DVD is a rarity and is thus a bit expensive.

You can get second hand copies on Amazon for around £8 if you don't mind picking it up second hand. There's a pretty cheap box set on Amazon containing Django and two films  Keoma, and A Bullet For The General.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah Terence Hill as Django Lady.  I don't like it as much as the original Django, but it's a good sequel.  

Secret Executioner

@Secret Executioner Really? The Django dvd is that expensive now? I forget if you have all region access, if you do... the 1966 original is still up at Amazon US rather cheaply. 

I'm exaggerating when I say it's expensive, but it seems the French release has become somewhat of a rarity.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

You can get second hand copies on Amazon for around £8 if you don't mind picking it up second hand. There's a pretty cheap box set on Amazon containing Django and two films  Keoma, and A Bullet For The General.

Keoma is even better silent. And that was marketed as a Django film in Germany too LOL. 

That's a good boxed set. 

Secret Executioner

Yeah Terence Hill as Django Lady.  I didn't realize he played the role twice.  I've never gotten up the courage to watch that Little Rita.  

I saw a review, it looks very odd but not too bad. Also, lots of goofy stuff going on, mainly because of the musical side. I mean, do you expect people to suddenly get singing and dancing in a Wild West town ?  :tongueout 

At least the original release still sounds better than the French butchered job that removes the musical scenes and tries passing this off as a Trinity movie to cash in on the fact Terence Hill is in it (though he technically doesn't appear until like half-way through).

Morgoth Bauglir

Another really great box set to consider is Spaghetti Westerns Unchained.  It's a 4 disc set with Django, Keoma, Django Kill.. If You Live Shoot and Texas Adios.  

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Another really great box set to consider is Spaghetti Westerns Unchained.  It's a 4 disc set with Django, Keoma, Django Kill.. If You Live Shoot and Texas Adios.  

That's the set to get if it's not expensive. All very good to great movies.  And I dig the voice of the Italian actor who dubs Franco Nero in Django and Texas Addios...

just one more thing, Golden Dragon, if you nab the original Django with the Italian dub, please, please watch it in Italian with English subs. The english dub  ruins it. 

Keoma is even better silent. And that was marketed as a Django film in Germany too LOL. 

That's a good boxed set. 

I'm far from an expert but they do appear to have randomly stuck the Django name on a lot of Italian westerns.

Django was actually rejected in the U.K and it didn't get a cinema release until years later  They had to heavily edit the film before it could eventually be passed for a cinema release.

Morgoth Bauglir

I'm far from an expert but they do appear to have randomly stuck the Django name on a lot of Italian westerns.

It took me awhile to figure this out, but I think Tarantino called his movie Django to pay tribute to all of the random Django titled movies from the past.  

It took me awhile to figure this out, but I think Tarantino called his movie Django to pay tribute to all of the random Django titled movies from the past.  

I think he did it for that reason too, and Franco Nero even has a nice cameo in the film thats a nod to his famous role.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Love me a good share of Spaghetti Westerns but honestly, there are so many bad ones. You guys ever buy that mega 50 movie pack? Garbage movies, the dubbing is awful and not to mention boring. There are a few that stands out like Django and whatnot but the majority of them are just godawful. Is there a reference to point out which is the good and the bad and absolute ugly films???

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Django was actually rejected in the U.K and it didn't get a cinema release until years later  They had to heavily edit the film before it could eventually be passed for a cinema release.

I'm sure the ear scene and the finale had something to do with that.  They were unflinchingly brutal for the time and Tartantino has been (sometimes lovingly) aping this movie since Reservoir Dogs.  QT adores Corbucci, so I suspect this is his own little tribute to the man and that character. 

I'm sure the ear scene and the finale had something to do with that.  They were unflinchingly brutal for the time and Tartantino has been (sometimes lovingly) aping this movie since Reservoir Dogs.  QT adores Corbucci, so I suspect this is his own little tribute to the man and that character. 

The British censors had never really come across a western like this at the time. Its portrayal of violence was unlike what had been seen in American westerns up to that point.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

The British censors had never really come across a western like this at the time. Its portrayal of violence was unlike what had been seen in American westerns up to that point.

I bet. Those two scenes are still pretty brutal, especially when you consider exactly what you said.  But those two scenes can't hold a candle to Django...If You Live Shoot!  The scalping moment in this film was really rough. 

Back to Django, I'm just remembering Franco Nero saying he got pneunmonia while shooting this (won't say the scene since some here haven't seen it.)  

I bet. Those two scenes are still pretty brutal, especially when you consider exactly what you said.  But those two scenes can't hold a candle to Django...If You Live Shoot!  The scalping moment in this film was really rough. 

Back to Django, I'm just remembering Franco Nero saying he got pneunmonia while shooting this (won't say the scene since some here haven't seen it.)  

The opening sequence involving the woman was a very brutal scene that sets up the tone of the whole film.

I didn't know about Nero getting ill during filming but I'm not surprised.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

The opening sequence involving the woman was a very brutal scene that sets up the tone of the whole film.

I didn't know about Nero getting ill during filming but I'm not surprised.

Yeah the whipping scene was pretty intense too. I guess I block that out of my mind when I think of this film these days. 

One of the best  westerns with django name in title is  "Django, the Last Killer". Story about expert gunman takes a pupil stars george eastman and always supercool anthony ghidra is massively entertaining.

Archived