xXx: The Return Of Xander Cage (2017)

DiP

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Sounds like it could be fun, just wish it was some other series besides the XXX. I felt that was done in one really. 

Donnie Yen featurette. Based on previous BTS footage as well as interviews, it seems his role here is more prominent than that of Rogue One. Plus he gets more action scenes this time around.

Not ashamed to say, genuinely excited to see this tomorrow. A big, loud, balls to the wall action movie with Donnie Yen on the biggest screen possible! Hell yes!

Same here.

The chance to see a film on the big screen starring Yen AND Jaa? A complete no-brainer.

I'll post a few spoiler free thoughts on here afterwards.

Just got back from seeing this. Well. With dialogue replaced by quips throughout and stunts Jerry Bruckheimer would have considered too outlandish... I loved every second! One word that sums up XxX 3 - fun. And lots of it. From the moment it starts to the second it finishes, there's never a dull moment. Vin Diesel is clearly having a ball here, as is Tony Jaa (God knows what he was on when he filmed his scenes, but it made for entertaining viewing). And then there's Donnie Yen. Just the right mix of charisma and cool, and even gets in a few decent fight scenes (his fistfight near the end being the highlight, even incorporating the trademark Ip Man style fast punches). Even now, thirty minutes after watching it, I can't remember a shred of the plot. But all I do know is that I had a blast, and seeing it on the big screen really helped. Do you need any more? I'd call it a guilty pleasure were it not for the fact I don't feel a shred of guilt about it. It's cinematic fluff of the highest order - go see it on the biggest screen you can!

Yeah, just seen it and in agreement, more or less.

Fun fluff, with no real plot to speak of, and everyone seems to be having a blast.

The action is decent and mostly shot clearly. Little shaky cam here and there but nothing ruinous.

Donnie owns it.

1 hour ago, DiP said:

So Yen hugely impresses once again... Time for Hollywood to give him a lead role. And it'd better be a good project too.

http://screenanarchy.com/2017/01/review-xxx-return-of-xander-cage.html

Highlander 4 wasn't good enough? Donnie and Jaa in the same film and it has to be some vin diesel bullshit? Get this bald-headed-wannabe-tough-guy outta here. For real. 

Drunken Monk

So I finally got around to watching this last night. I'm happy to say it now holds a place in my top ten worst films ever made. This movie is fucking dismal. It's a shame really because both Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa have their moments. In fact, Donnie pretty much steals the show (though his acting needs some work).

Everything else about this film is simply the WORST. It's not even funny-silly. It's cringe worthy. The script is a masterclass in cheesiness, the plot is laughable, the supporting cast is horrific and even the action is lame bar some hand-to-hand moments. Honestly, this film is so shitty. It's not worth a second of anyone's time.

This was in theaters for like a week. The dude is box office poison and he still keeps getting big budget films made around him. Yet guys like Adkins, Zaror, and other talented cats struggle in the indie straight-to-video market.

If it doesn't say fast and furious in the title, it's going nowhere quick. And there's another one of those coming out, good lord.

masterofoneinchpunch

When I saw this in the theater (and it was one of the two largest screens in the multiplex with the most seats) and I was the only one there.  I actually like that aspect.  The whole theater to myself.  I can walk around, roam aimlessly, throw popcorn at invisible patrons, flatulate with impunity, yell like an insane person at every groan-inducing scene (hurt my throat since there were a lot of them), kick up my feet, take off my shoes (like in Planes, Trains and Automobiles; though I made sure my shoes were Jordan XXX -- I can them the Xander Cages or the Vins), throw my shoes at invisible patrons, look up at the ceiling, do not have to leave the theater to use the restroom, give face palm when obvious scene of government officials that will turn on extra cool Xander Cage or the double face palm when that guy from Fist Fight shows up with that frozen water in rectangle shapes name.  Of course I did cheer Donnie Yen and told the non-existent crowd that you should watch SPL or Flash Point if you have not.

1 hour ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I can walk around, roam aimlessly, throw popcorn at invisible patrons, flatulate with impunity, yell like an insane person at every groan-inducing scene (hurt my throat since there were a lot of them), kick up my feet, take off my shoes, throw my shoes at invisible patrons, look up at the ceiling, do not have to leave the theater to use the restroom

You'd fit right in with the crowd I saw Logan with... :dull

Archived