Lone Wolf & Cub Films released by Criterion

Takuma

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

See kids... dreams DO come true! :wink:

Speaking of great chanbara cinema from this company... I'm awaiting my Criterion release of the LADY SNOWBLOOD set, which should be arriving in the mail box any day now. :nerd:

WonBin'sMojo

Lone wolf and cub is going to look super sweet sitting next to my Lady Snowblood blu also from Criterion. Can't wait!!!

Ok I can finally buy this!(thanks KFBob telling me to hold off some time back) Guess I'll get on Lady Snowblood right now!

• Administrator

Ok I can finally buy this!(thanks KFBob telling me to hold off some time back) Guess I'll get on Lady Snowblood right now!

You're welcome. It was speculation when I told you, but I'm glad it turned out to be factual.

Just saw Shogun Assassin for the first time a few months ago and I've seen an actual Lone Wolf & Cub. I guess now would be a great time to start.

This was what I've been hoping for! Almost bought the German BD a year or so ago (which is supposedly better than the old Animeigo one), now I'm just glad I waited. Any clue when this will drop?

• Administrator

This was what I've been hoping for! Almost bought the German BD a year or so ago (which is supposedly better than the old Animeigo one), now I'm just glad I waited. Any clue when this will drop?

No, they haven't said. All we know is that it will be this year.

The set was released in Dec 2016. There is no other set to have. Here's the Criterion treatment for LWC:

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1217-lone-wolf-and-cub?q=autocomplete

Disc Features

• New 2K digital restorations of all six films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
  • High-definition presentation of Shogun Assassin, a 1980 English-dubbed reedit of the first twoLone Wolf and Cub films
  • New interview with Kazuo Koike, writer of the Lone Wolf and Cub manga series and screenwriter on five of the films
  • Lame d’un père, l’âme d’un sabre, a 2005 documentary about the making of the series
  • New interview in which Sensei Yoshimitsu Katsuse discusses and demonstrates the real Suio-ryusword techniques that inspired the ones depicted in the manga and films
  • New interview with biographer Kazuma Nozawa about Kenji Misumi, director of four of the six films
  • Silent documentary from 1939 about the making of samurai swords, with an optional new ambient score by Ryan Francis
  • Trailers
  • New English subtitle translations
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay and film synopses by Japanese pop-culture writer Patrick Macias

14 hours ago, Zatotom said:

The set was released in Dec 2016. There is no other set to have. Here's the Criterion treatment for LWC:

It was actually release here in the states on Nov 8th.

I got mine during the B&N 50% off Criterion Collection sale the week before Black Friday.

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Zatotom said:

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1217-lone-wolf-and-cub?q=autocomplete

Disc Features

• New 2K digital restorations of all six films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
  • High-definition presentation of Shogun Assassin, a 1980 English-dubbed reedit of the first twoLone Wolf and Cub films
  • New interview with Kazuo Koike, writer of the Lone Wolf and Cub manga series and screenwriter on five of the films
  • Lame d’un père, l’âme d’un sabre, a 2005 documentary about the making of the series
  • New interview in which Sensei Yoshimitsu Katsuse discusses and demonstrates the real Suio-ryusword techniques that inspired the ones depicted in the manga and films
  • New interview with biographer Kazuma Nozawa about Kenji Misumi, director of four of the six films
  • Silent documentary from 1939 about the making of samurai swords, with an optional new ambient score by Ryan Francis
  • Trailers
  • New English subtitle translations
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay and film synopses by Japanese pop-culture writer Patrick Macias

Thanks for reviving this important thread, brother @Zatotom!

This is easily my favorite release in all of 2016. I've been dreaming that Criterion would someday release this series since way back in the days of Laser Discs, and to finally have it happen? Oh man, so beyond cool!

To me this is hands down the best looking and sounding release of this series (and I have a ton of the other releases!), and I couldn't be happier with it.

Best of all? My son is now a Lone Wolf & Cub fan! We watched the first movie together and he was completely silent (save for a gasp or two) the whole time. I wasn't sure if he was into it, or just enduring it. When the end credit was over he turned to me and started telling me how incredible an experience it was, how much he loved the characters, story, the tone, the cinematography, action, music... Ah, what a relief. Sharing this with him was awesome! We had planned to watch them all together, but I told him that if he couldn't wait to go ahead and watch the next one without me. Instead, that night, he re-watched the first one again! At this point we are up to the fourth film; not sure when we'll actually get to watch it, but we're both very excited to view it together. He even bought the set for himself based on how much he digs the first three films.

So this old wolf is finally getting to watch his favorite chanbara series with his cub, and I couldn't be happier.

45 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Best of all? My son is now a Lone Wolf & Cub fan! We watched the first movie together and he was completely silent (save for a gasp or two) the whole time. I wasn't sure if he was into it, or just enduring it. When the end credit was over he turned to me and started telling me how incredible an experience it was, how much he loved the characters, story, the tone, the cinematography, action, music... Ah, what a relief. Sharing this with him was awesome! We had planned to watch them all together, but I told him that if he couldn't wait to go ahead and watch the next one without me. Instead, that night, he re-watched the first one again! At this point we are up to the fourth film; not sure when we'll actually get to watch it, but we're both very excited to view it together. He even bought the set for himself based on how much he digs the first three films.

So this old wolf is finally getting to watch his favorite chanbara series with his cub, and I couldn't be happier.

:yociexp75:That is so awesome!! I couldn't be happier for you!

:cool: That is only something I can dream about.

This is really cool too:

The Road to Hell: Designing Lone Wolf and Cub

ttps://www.criterion.com/current/posts/4326-the-road-to-hell-designing-lone-wolf-and-cub

Click on the above link for the full story, but I love how they ended up with this:

We landed on an image of the road to hell built out of the bodies of Itto Ogami’s fallen enemies, a gruesome concept that Paul executed with lyrical beauty (aided by colorist Ron Wimberly’s bold “grindhouse” palate).

841_bd_large

As a final touch, we wanted to highlight the faithfulness of the adaptation, which is unsurprising when you consider that Koike himself wrote or cowrote five out of the six films. Inside the box, Paul focused on scenes that appear in both the films and the manga. The faux-manga pages that he came up with are inspired by Kojima’s work but evocative of both sources.

• Administrator

D

2 hours ago, Karlos said:

Got to see the Criterion set last week and yes, these films have never and will never look better - just outstanding!

Talking of Criterion, here's a link to Patrick Macias' excellent essay on LW&C:

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/4287-samurai-and-son-the-lone-wolf-and-cub-saga

@Karlos did you get this?

@KUNG FU BOBNo, brother - my old LW&C loving pal brought it -and his region free BD player - round last Sunday.

We watched #2 and #6 - and holy smoke, that is a nice restoration Criterion have managed - it smmothly takes the head of the AnimEigo set clean off, that's for sure! 

I got my set too. I’m glad they didn’t try to modernize the look of the films like they did with Lady Snowlood. As good as they look, there’s still some room for improvement, though. The 35mm prints of the first two films I saw earlier this year looked a fair bit better than the Criterion BDs (which are strangely red for starters). That being said, those film prints were just amazing and I never expected the BDs to look as good.

The 6th film looks pretty fantastic, though, very much like the 35mm prints of the first two. Well, based on a quick look at least. I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the entire films (BDs) yet.

• Administrator
On 12/15/2016 at 3:26 PM, Zatotom said:

This is really cool too:

The Road to Hell: Designing Lone Wolf and Cub

ttps://www.criterion.com/current/posts/4326-the-road-to-hell-designing-lone-wolf-and-cub

Click on the above link for the full story, but I love how they ended up with this:

We landed on an image of the road to hell built out of the bodies of Itto Ogami’s fallen enemies, a gruesome concept that Paul executed with lyrical beauty (aided by colorist Ron Wimberly’s bold “grindhouse” palate).

Thanks, I enjoy reading about different artists' processes. Interesting stuff.

On 12/24/2016 at 1:43 PM, Karlos said:

Got to see the Criterion set last week and yes, these films have never and will never look better - just outstanding!

Talking of Criterion, here's a link to Patrick Macias' excellent essay on LW&C:

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/4287-samurai-and-son-the-lone-wolf-and-cub-saga

Patrick Macias is a good, well-informed writer and also a cool dude. Glad he was involved.

On 12/24/2016 at 5:48 PM, thekfc said:

It is indeed a beautiful set.

So far I have only watched #1. I may do a marathon or maybe watch #2 & #3 next weekend.

I hope you do! I rarely only watch one of these at a time myself. :bigsmile:

On 12/24/2016 at 6:49 PM, Takuma said:

I got my set too. I’m glad they didn’t try to modernize the look of the films like they did with Lady Snowlood. As good as they look, there’s still some room for improvement, though. The 35mm prints of the first two films I saw earlier this year looked a fair bit better than the Criterion BDs (which are strangely red for starters). That being said, those film prints were just amazing and I never expected the BDs to look as good.

The 6th film looks pretty fantastic, though, very much like the 35mm prints of the first two. Well, based on a quick look at least. I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the entire films (BDs) yet.

So envious you got to see these in 35mm @Takuma. Did you get to see all 6 that way?

I am thrilled with these presentations. As far as the pic looking too red for you (I didn't notice it myself), if you adjust the PQ on your TV by moving the "TINT" slider a bit towards the green end, it will fix that for you.

On 12/25/2016 at 0:28 PM, Karlos said:

The general consensus on the Criterion set is that White Heaven in Hell looks the best out of the six films.

I wonder why that is?

On 12/25/2016 at 4:41 PM, danthemandmv said:

Scored this set for Christmas-cannot wait to binge-watch!

So happy for you @danthemandmv. Enjoy!

Oh yeah... Karlos clued me in... there's a surprise hidden within the packaging. Anybody else find this? It's pretty cool. :nerd:

8 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

So envious you got to see these in 35mm @Takuma. Did you get to see all 6 that way?

National Film Center had a huge Kenji Misumi retro with 51 movies (35mm) + episodes for 6 TV shows (16mm). I could only stay for the first two LW&C, however, I saw the 5th film a few years before in a different theater from a far inferior print.

NFC's prints tend to be exceptional: they are from their own collection and are rarely screened or lent out. They very often look better than BD releases for the same films (e.g. some of their Zatoichi films... dear God, those were the most beautiful prints I have ever seen!).

In other theaters you get what you get... which varies from brand new looking prints to prints that have turned into "pink films" :laugh Generally speaking they are in pretty amazing shape though, and many of them are new prints produced relatively recently (I don't know when... it just says "New Print").

Archived