Shinobi - need help, confused

Guest limubai2000

Guest limubai2000

OK I want to get into this new-ish Shinobi films that are out on R1 DVDs.

My problem is I'm totally confused as I havent been following Japanese cinema closely outside of the bigger films like Twilight Samurai, Hidden Blade and Yokai War. So I ask you guys for help... I see there are tons of different "versions" of these things which ones are the best? Should I just plunk down cash and grab the R1s? Or are these questionably legit 8 DVD sets worth it ? Are the R1s edited down and how are the subs?

Thanks in advance guys.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Daisho2004

limubai2000, they are a few different titles called Shinobi, is there a certain film that you are looking for? If you referring to the classic Shinobi films starring Ichikawa Raizo there are 8 films total are there are Excellent films. Then there is The Law of Shinobi which was put out by adv-films there are 4 films total and I myself really enjoyed them, a lot of Action and a good storyline now there was the Shinobi 2005' movie that just came out and it totally Sucked. If your looking for the classic films then you might have to shell out a few $ but tell me which ones you want and I'll tell you where to get them.

Guest limubai2000

Ah HA... see I knew someone would rescue me, and I just realized I should have asked over on the Dojo.

Well the classics I am interested in those, I was primarily interested in the Law series and I'll take your word that they are good. I did not know there was a previous series.

I assume I should grab the ADVs of the new series, but the classics where should I get those?

Thanks for the info on the new one, I won't be getting that then, unless the gf asks for it, crossing my fingers she doesn't.

:P

Guest Daisho2004

OK if you want to see the 1st. one in the series of the classics you can get it from FarEastFlix he has some really good titles, and his prices are Great. I'll put the link at the bottom, but the only person who I know who has the entire set of the classics is the Grandmaster Merlin over at samuraidvd.com tell him you got it from the NinjaDojo and you'll get the discount, ebay also has it, but it is from the scabs but that is your choice. OK now you can pick up the ADVFilms over at Overstock.com they have the best prices around that's where I got them from. Now as far as the series goes the movies look like they were made with a digital camera kinda low budget but I thought they were really good the Action was Great, Good Storyline most of the movies run about 70-80min. But again I really enjoyed these films a lot of people have there own opinion about this movies good & bad you have to decide for yourself but after you watch the 1st. movie I think you'll want to get the rest. And stay away from Shinobi 2005' read the reviews over at the Dojo it sucked big time I was totally disappointed with this movie after I was waiting for this movie to come out a total Bomb.

Here is the link for FEF:www.fareastflix.com/Merch...e_Code=FEF

Guest Daisho2004

The Law of Shinobi:

Martial arts star Kenji Tanigaki (THE PRINCESS BLADE, MORTAL KOMBAT 2) makes his directorial debut with the Japanese action series SHINOBI. Exploring issues of social rank, this first episode introduces ninja student Kageru, a fiercely talented warrior whose ambitions are nonetheless limited by his lower-class background. Banding together with his similarly pedigreed friend and fellow student Aoi, Kageru must now decide whether to continue his acceptance of society's rigid hierarchies--or break with tradition and forge a new path to the future. Fueled by high-octane swordplay sequences, THE LAW OF SHINOBI is at once a hardhitting martial arts extravaganza and a sly social commentary on the strictures of tradition.

pt. 2- Runaway

Deciding to break with tradition and challenge society's rigid hierarchies, Kageru bands with his similarly pedigreed friend and fellow student Aoi to become outcast ninjas and wander the countryside. In the second episode of the series, RUNAWAY, Kageru and Aoi abandon their training academy and become fugitives from both their former masters and a band of ruthless assassins.

pt.3- HIDDEN TECHNIQUES

In the third episode of the series, HIDDEN TECHNIQUES, Kageru and Aoi find themselves embroiled in a regional power struggle among ninja warriors who deal in duplicity and intrigue.

pt.4- A WAY OUT

In the fourth and final episode of the series, A WAY OUT, Kageru and Aoi attempt one last break with their former Shinobi masters while their nation is embroiled in a full-fledged civil war.

Guest Daisho2004

GwaiLoMoFo: Its like I said either you are going to like this series or you won't I really think they did a good job with this series, but you can rent them online at Netflix.com 1st. instead of buying them out right if you want to check them out.

Guest limubai2000

Speaking of renting I just rented Law #1 from Blockbuster, was shocked they had it cuz out here they mostly carry the "hit" films. But will watch this tonight.

Thanks alot D!

Archived