What happened between Maggie Cheung and Zhang Ziyi?

Iron_Leopard

I know this is old news but I just came across something hinting that these two actresses weren't on good terms. Something happened on the sets of "Hero" and "2046" and the incident at the Golden Horse Awards. Does anyone know for sure what the beef was between these two?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

Does anyone know for sure what the beef was between these two?

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your query...but the way you've phrased this sentence would make me very happy to be the beef in question.

Is this the incident you're talking about?

This is news to me to be honest. I never knew they were at odds with each other. I unfortunately don't have much to add to the discussion. It certainly seems that they don't like each other, but I have no idea why. Likely something happened when filming one (or both) of the movies you mentioned.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your query...but the way you've phrased this sentence would make me very happy to be the beef in question.

*applauds*

It's painful to watch that clip it's so awkward. I really wish we knew what the deal was. Why is it so hard for females to get along in this world??

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

One Armed Boxer's comment made me laugh almost as hard as Ken's signature gif, which still kills me all these months later.  Well played, One Armed Boxer. :coveredlaugh

I get that. But from what I've seen and heard from others it seems women in the work place are more likely to be at odds with one another. It's probably something as common as ego and competition between these two. Maybe Maggie felt threatened because she's not as young and relevent as Ziyi. Or maybe Ziyi is an annoying Bitch who always got her way on set. I guess we'll never know.

If males could get along in this world, there wouldn't be any war...

Wow! this is uncanny you would have difficulty believing it but about 2 days ago Wednesday to be precise I was channel surfing and noticed TCM UK airing Supercops. Anyway my daughter and I started a conversation about Michelle then of course the topic progressed to other famous femme fatales till we got to guess who!!...Zhang Ziyi / Ziyi Zhang.

I mentioned rumour has it that Ziyi is/was " stuck up " that's why she couldn't get a successful break in Hollywood.

I empathised with Ziyi and some other HK actors,directors,choreographers etc who could have been in the same predicament.

Watching the footage in the clip, I had my doubts if it was a deliberate snub because Maggie would have found some excuse not to be on stage when this particular category was about to be announced and also it doesn't make sense to co-host such an important event if one of the presenters is prejudiced.The thing that convinced me in this particular moment that Maggie wasn't taking the piss was the hug.The hug looked genuine;still had my doubts though.Curiosity then led me to this http://asianpopnews.com/maggie-cheung-declines-presenting-trophy-to-zhang-ziyi/ 

Let's see what other people think. Perhaps it was Andy Lau who actually goofed.

OpiumKungFuCracker

And yet Michelle Yeoh is still as classy as ever with no quips or beef with anyone. Hahhahah

Just because you work with them doesn't mean you have to like them. Acting is a job, just like any other job but with much more money and fame at stake, I'm sure tensions run high on set especially when things aren't going right. The entertainment industry is prone to Prima Donnas(women and men), some shun the spotlight but others crave being the center of attention, it becomes a competition. 

On 12/29/2015 at 1:09 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

It's painful to watch that clip it's so awkward. I really wish we knew what the deal was. Why is it so hard for females to get along in this world??

As far as the entertainment community goes (and frankly in business as well), men prefer beauty over talent and the younger the better.  Obviously that doesn't inspire a lot of bonding with women as it creates a cut throat environment when women work together.  Maggie clearly has the talent...I always thought Zhang just had youth on her side.  Her acting is absolutely wooden and I can honestly say the she ruins every film for me that she appears in....

Laura

On 1/8/2016 at 0:52 PM, Kwok Choi said:

Perhaps it was Andy Lau who actually goofed.

From what I have read and saw in an interview a while back it looks like Andy Lau did goofed.  Andy was suppose to hand the trophy directly to Zhang but instead he handed it to Maggie for her to give to Zhang. You (a male) do not hand a trophy to another presenter (a female) to give to the winner (a female), you give it directly to the winner. It is like you giving the trophy to the other presenter as if they are the winner. You can tell on Maggie expression "why are you handing this to me?"  

Archived