Samurai Vendetta or Sword Devil??

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Gonna pick up that Raizo flick "The Betrayal" because of the recommendations from you guys. Wanted to pick another title up while I was at it. Which would you recommend: Samurai Vendetta or Sword Devil. I was leaning toward Vendetta because it has Katsu and Raizo in it. But Sword Devil sounds good as well. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Daisho2004

Both movies are really good, but if you want to see Raizo at his best, you have to see the "Sleepy Eyes of Death" series, they are my favorite films up there with Lone Wolf & Cub and the entire Zatoichi series.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Samurai Vendetta does sound cool though. I might pick that one up myself.

Guest KevinClo

The Betrayal and Sword Devil are my two favorite Raizo movies. For two different reasons. The Betrayal has a good story, but, without counting, probably has one of the biggest bodycounts at the end of the movie that I have ever seen in the samurai genre. Sword Devil has a slightly more fantasy story, but Raizo's swordplay is a pretty good from a more technical perspective. Whoever helped choreograph and work with him on the iaido on the movie did a good job.

Samurai Vendetta is a good story too. It combines the story of Yasubei who was one the 47 Ronin with a bit of Tange Sazen. Basically, it deals with the friendship of Yasubei and Tange Tenzen. It has been about eight years since I have watched it so my memory is a bit weak on some of the details of the story. What is interesting about the fighting near the end is that Tange Tenzen (Raizo) has to fight from a unique position on the ground. The movie has been remade a few times, but how they do the ending fight is always interesting.

KC

Archived