God of War (2016) - Vincent Zhao, Sammo Hung, & Yasuaki Kurata!

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Fresh from finishing 'The Four' trilogy, Gordon Chan is already underway shooting his next movie in China, a period piece entitled 'God of War'.  Details on the plot are pretty thin on the ground right now, but the big news is that the movie will star both Sammo Hung & Yasuaki Kurata...their first time to share the screen together since 'Millionaire's Express', 30 years ago.  Check out some stills from the production below - 

12360225_522740451232575_1552057274005306831_n.jpg

12391250_522740441232576_5384162964501882043_n.jpg

1936548_522740474565906_1706001872344667343_n.jpg

1929716_522740447899242_9027930927353627794_n.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to this. I hope they can still show those pesky wire-harnessed whippersnappers how to do it old school, even if they're a little slower than they once were.

Oh, didn't Kurata and Sammo work together on Eastern Condors in 1987?

Looking forward to this. I hope they can still show those pesky wire-harnessed whippersnappers how to do it old school, even if they're a little slower than they once were.

Yes they did, Kurata-san played a Vietnamese captain

EasternCondors+1987-87-b.jpg

I really hope this one turns out decent despite the fact these guys are now getting on a bit.

I really hope this one turns out decent despite the fact these guys are now getting on a bit.

If Lau Kar-Leung could give a credible fighting performance in Drunken Monkey, I think these guys can, too.

One Armed Boxer
Yes they did, Kurata-san played a Vietnamese captain

:tongueout - See below:

Sammo Hung & Yasuaki Kurata...their first time to share the screen together in significant roles since 'Millionaire's Express', 30 years ago. 

And it looks like it's Vincent Zhao. I could be wrong.

You're right, confirmed as Vincent Zhao.

If Lau Kar-Leung could give a credible fighting performance in Drunken Monkey, I think these guys can, too.

You are right Doc, Drunken Monkey is a good example of an older performer still looking good onscreen. Cant wait to see what they come up with in terms of the choreography.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Sounds like a good recipe for a darn great film. Yasuaki, Sammo and Vincent Zhao?  I'll definitely take a look. :smile

Yeah, another historical epic! There just aren't enough of those yet. Sorry, but even Sammo Hung and Vincent Zhao can't get me excited for this one. I am so tired of these costumes and generals and brilliant strategems. And Gordon Chan at the helm doesn't sound very promising, either.

Yeah, another historical epic! There just aren't enough of those yet. Sorry, but even Sammo Hung and Vincent Zhao can't get me excited for this one. I am so tired of these costumes and generals and brilliant strategems. And Gordon Chan at the helm doesn't sound very promising, either.

Gordon Chan immediately makes me think of The Medallion, King of Fighters, and that boring Painted Skin movie.

But perhaps Sammo, Vincent and Kurata-san can offset his flaws as a director.

Feel the same way as Kami. The market is oversaturating these kind of movies, and sooner or later people will get bored. Gordon Chan hasn't done a decent movie since Legend of the Fist and with his name on a historical epic like this uninterested me.

ShaOW!linDude

I'm wondering if this won't be a dramatic period piece along the lines of Jet Li's The Warlords. (Which I thought tanked. No MA = no good.)

Im wondering if this won't be a dramatic period piece along the lines of Jet Li's The Warlords. (Which I thought tanked. No MA = no good.)

There was "some" MA in it: Jet Li did some nice work with the kwan do and some brief chin na against Takeshi Kaneshiro at the end.

One Armed Boxer

Jiang Luxia also has a role in the movie, and recently released this onset photo of the cast and crew celebrating her 29th birthday - 

IMG_20151231_070936.jpg

0414-00282-052b1.jpg?t=1492134507830

Sammo Hung and Vincent Zhao are starring in a historical costume epic entitled God of War. This is the first time the duo has worked together and Zhao feels honored to be working with the legendary Hung, calling it "good karma". The film co-stars Timmy Hung and Wu Yue. Zhao and the elder Hung play General Qi and Commander Yu respectively, and even have a sparring scene together. Director Gordon Chan said he even went to historian Li Bo for research on General Qi and his life in conjunction with the battlefields.

During the 16th century, Japanese pirates proliferate along the Chinese coastline. In 1557, the pirates take over Cengang in Zhejiang. After months of futile advances, Commander Yu (Sammo Hung) finally defeats them under the leadership of newly promoted General Qi (Vincent Zhao). The pirates, however, manage to escape. In 1561, the pirates regroup and once again attack the coastal cities of China. With both the cities of Xinhe and Taizhou under attack, Qi's army is caught between two fires. Even though most family members of his soldiers are located in Xinhe, Qi makes the tough decision to go to Taizhou and leaves his wife in charge of the fight against the pirates in Xinhe, knowing that the defeat of the pirates' elite team in Taizhou will bring long lasting peace to the coastal cities.

Archived