David Chiang

paimeifist

venomsreviews
On 4/15/2022 at 4:21 PM, ShawAngela said:

I wonder from which movie this one comes.

241234254_576164953577592_8686599852564567102_n.jpg

The person who’s @ is on the photo mentioned it being taken during Seven Man Army! There were a collection of other photos taken during filming and parts from what looks like a magazine :smile

Here are some that aren’t related to Seven Man Army:

7D73F4A3-B91B-4820-BE8C-C6415D9C8682.jpeg.9c91c1fda07d9befd1a263e2f0fd069a.jpeg

647B1D43-BF82-4989-A938-9BF5A41A2B28.jpeg.020af309fe664d780cd5bf6216e822a0.jpeg

818813FF-D01F-429F-A78C-B4ABA6EC20D4.jpeg.1f7695b8505927e85c620412afbb4269.jpeg

This is from Sword with the Windbell:

F89A0148-C99E-440D-9E18-A0C97E495522.thumb.png.46aadb730643c9c4ff2b31f5a6700e32.png

Edited by venomsreviews
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, galvatron1976 said:

美麗戰場 小方陳瀅John哥交織上流社會大鬥爭

What is the English title if this series he plays in, please ?

• Like 1

I already knew that David Chiang began as a stuntman and martial instructor at Shaws, but I just took a look at his filmography on hkcinemagic, and saw that he was a stuntman in Enter the dragon. Did any of you spot him there ?

• Like 1

Chu Liu Hsiang

David Chiang recently played in a horror movie! From HKSAR Film No Top 10 Box Office:

Anson Lo Hon Ting with Chu Pak Hong, John Chiang Dai Wai and Summer Chan Chi Huen starred in the horror film IT REMAINS. (...). As for Chiang Dai Wai, although he has been in film for years he said that he has never made this type of film.

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=23671&display_set=eng

image.jpeg.3fdc557e7e55de48a21be420477df83a.jpeg

image.png

• Like 3

ShawAngela

David Chiang won the Best Supporting Actor award for In Broad Daylight.

• Like 2

ShawAngela

In the middle picture, he looks so much like his father!

When he was a child, he looked very much like his mother...

TheRazorsEdge+1949-7-b.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 12:08 AM, Ratchakorn said:

I think it's different characters as Ti Lung mentioned. During that time David Chiang is very simple-minded guy and he never concerns about fame and fortunes. Chang Che said in one of his interview that David Chiang is very talented but his weakness is that he's not competitive and kinda laid back (or a bit lazy). You can see that he doesn't really care about his fame from many interviews and events. When he started to be famous in 1969, the reporter asked how he felt and he said that he didn't feel anything..

Hello all! I've only just discovered this community and I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong by bumping this thread! Forgive me if so! I'm just curious about the rift between David Chiang and Ti Lung. Ratchakorn here has a very interesting and unique take on the story, but I've read some very different takes from the past, such as in this thread: 

I'm very interested if there has been any 100% confirmation on all of this in the past couple of years. Like, has there been anything translated within the past couple of years that confirms anything/everything? I'm still waiting for that Shout Factory Lung/Chiang boxset to arrive and I'm curious if there's any interesting behind the scenes info on any of the commentary tracks that might be shared.

Again, so sorry if I'm just digging up a dead topic for people, I just didn't find anything more recent in my searching.

• Like 2

ShawAngela
7 hours ago, WCJVC said:

Hello all! I've only just discovered this community and I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong by bumping this thread! Forgive me if so! I'm just curious about the rift between David Chiang and Ti Lung. Ratchakorn here has a very interesting and unique take on the story, but I've read some very different takes from the past, such as in this thread: 

I'm very interested if there has been any 100% confirmation on all of this in the past couple of years. Like, has there been anything translated within the past couple of years that confirms anything/everything? I'm still waiting for that Shout Factory Lung/Chiang boxset to arrive and I'm curious if there's any interesting behind the scenes info on any of the commentary tracks that might be shared.

Again, so sorry if I'm just digging up a dead topic for people, I just didn't find anything more recent in my searching.

I'm afraid that nobody will never know what really happened. It was said several times that they didn't want to appear in the same events, nor talk to each other, but there are recent pictures of both of them Smiling side by side in awards ceremonies, though...

In a French book of mine, it was said that they went different ways because of a feud between their wives.

I also recently read that Ti Lung and his wife gossipped about a love triangle between David, Li Lin Lin and Lily Li, but who were they to criticize? Li Ching was so much in love with Ti Lung that she never married, at least it's what I read somewhere, and Ti Lung clearly didn't deny in an interview of one of my dvds that he had had an affair with Ching Li: someone asked him about this. He laughed and answered something like "let's not talk about this, she is married now and it's in the past", so...

As it's mentioned above, I don' t think that David had an oversized ego and cared about being more famous than Ti Lung, or billed on top of him or whatever, he just enjoyed doing movies and that's all.

Judging by the pictures of both of them in their youth, I would say that David cared more about their friendship than Ti Lung, but maybe I'm mistaken and these were just poses for the photographer.

Talking about Lily, does anyone know if she ever married and had children? It's just my opinion, but I think David paired better with her than with Lin Lin...

Ok, I stop there, I would talk about David Chiang for hours... 😃

And n'y the way, welcome to the forum.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I'm afraid that nobody will never know what really happened. It was said several times that they didn't want to appear in the same events, nor talk to each other, but there are recent pictures of both of them Smiling side by side in awards ceremonies, though...

In a French book of mine, it was said that they went different ways because of a feud between their wives.

I also recently read that Ti Lung and his wife gossipped about a love triangle between David, Li Lin Lin and Lily Li, but who were they to criticize? Li Ching was so much in love with Ti Lung that she never married, at least it's what I read somewhere, and Ti Lung clearly didn't deny in an interview of one of my dvds that he had had an affair with Ching Li: someone asked him about this. He laughed and answered something like "let's not talk about this, she is married now and it's in the past", so...

As it's mentioned above, I don' t think that David had an oversized ego and cared about being more famous than Ti Lung, or billed on top of him or whatever, he just enjoyed doing movies and that's all.

Judging by the pictures of both of them in their youth, I would say that David cared more about their friendship than Ti Lung, but maybe I'm mistaken and these were just poses for the photographer.

Talking about Lily, does anyone know if she ever married and had children? It's just my opinion, but I think David paired better with her than with Lin Lin...

Ok, I stop there, I would talk about David Chiang for hours... 😃

And n'y the way, welcome to the forum.

I’m very interested in all of this, planning on making a YouTube video about the two of them, so I’ve been doing as much investigating as I can. At the time of the TVB’s Thousands of Stars Awards Ceremony, in 2021, when Ti Lung was on stage as David accepted his award, it seems that David ultimately spoke to the press a little about the situation. Sort of in the fallout to the award, I gather. I’ve been combing through Chinese Google as much as I can and using Google translate, lol! 

https://www.hk01.com/article/998791?utm_source=01articlecopy&utm_medium=referral

This article has an interesting headline: “Exclusive interview|David Chiang tells the truth about his 40-year grudge with Ti Lung, and he realizes that he has different ideas and walks of life.”

Google translate doesn't make it sound like he "tells the truth" about the grudge, like, he doesn't give all the details about it, unfortunately. However, even with Google translate, it still seems like an interesting read. I'm thinking about getting someone from Fiverr to translate a few articles for me, just so I can get a fuller understanding of their split, what their relationship has been like, etc. In that link, there is actually a video and I think it may have more information than the article (it's a 24 minute video! Linked below), but I'm not sure if I can get that translated. I think some poor Fiverr translator might charge me an arm and a leg to translate 24 minutes, lol. I do have an idea about how I may be able to get the video and create some auto-generated Chinese subtitles, and then re-translating those subtitles back into English, but I think I may be getting desperate at that point :P

This is another article I found that was of interest:

https://tw.news.yahoo.com/狄龍-姜大衛-世紀同框-破冰-老友決裂40年原因揭曉-093408682.html

The headline is provocative again: "Ti Lung and David Chiang, "the same old friends of the century", revealed the reason why they broke up after 40 years."

The article seems low on hard facts, though. Seems to cover more of just the hearsay about the situation. Mind you, this is all using Google Translate, which may be leaving things out. I didn't get the understanding that most of the information in the article was from David Chiang's mouth, it seemed more like them stating gossip. However, I thought this quote was pretty interesting:

It has been reported that the reason why they became "the most familiar strangers" is that when they co-produced the movie "The Fall of the Country", Ti Lung played the role of Emperor Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty and David Jiang played the role of the young eunuch Kou Liancai. It seems that director Li Hanxiang added the role for David Jiang, but Ti Lung thought, "I always let you take the camera, why don't you think about me?" But for Jiang, "Additional scenes are the director's business, so why would you be angry with me?" Although they never mentioned the matter, they became strangers to each other after that. It was even reported that the two told each other that they would "never see each other again for 40 years."

Sorry if all of this has been talked about before and not of interest, but I'm pretty invested at this point, lol. I'm not as well-versed as many of you, haven't seen all of their pairings on screen or anything, but am a fan of both actors and this whole feud has been news to me! If I end up getting these articles "professionally" translated, I'll be happy to share them. Same for the video, if I can manage to get that going.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Got that article translated just for the sake of it. Going to post it here as a spoiler so it hopefully doesn't take up the entire page:

Spoiler

Ti Lung and David Chiang's "Century Reunion" Breaks the Ice: Revealing the Reason for Their 40-Year Rift.
By Zuk YunLam
January 3rd, 2022.

The TVB Anniversary Gala, "TVB Awards 2021," was grandly held last night (January 2). The 74-year-old Hong Kong star David Chiang won the Performing Arts Award. The notable moment was when his estranged friend of nearly 40 years, Ti Lung, presented the award along with Chiang's older brother, Paul Chun (real name: Chiang Chang-nien). The rare reunion of these two former friends became a highlight of the event, bringing back memories for fans about the cause of their fallout.

During the awards ceremony last night, David Chiang first received the trophy from his brother Paul Chun. When Ti Lung, another award presenter, handed him the microphone, Chiang pointed to the already set-up microphone and politely declined. Their interaction appeared somewhat awkward. Nevertheless, this reunion was significant; the last time they were seen together was nearly eight years ago at the funeral of actor Wu Ma. Many stars, including Sammo Hung and Jackie Chan, were pallbearers, with Ti Lung and David Chiang also participating without interaction.

Ti Lung and David Chiang had collaborated on numerous films, showcasing a brotherly bond on screen and becoming close friends off-screen. Both were part of Shaw Brothers Studio and disciples of director Chang Cheh. They hit it off while filming "Dead End" and became Chang Cheh's favored "Gemini Stars." Chiang, known for his delicate features, and Ti Lung, with his rugged charm, co-starred in over 42 films, earning the media description "Ti never leaves Chiang, Chiang never leaves Ti," exemplifying a once-legendary friendship in the entertainment industry.

Unexpectedly, their friendship dissolved overnight, reportedly due to their contrasting personalities: Ti Lung's meticulousness versus Chiang's carefree nature. According to reports, the rift occurred during the filming of "The Last Tempest," where Ti Lung played Emperor Guangxu and Chiang a eunuch named Kou Lien-tsai. It seemed director Li Han-hsiang gave Chiang more scenes, which Ti Lung resented, thinking, "I always give you screen time, why can't you consider me?" Chiang, on the other hand, felt it was the director's decision and wondered why Ti Lung would be upset with him. Though they never publicly addressed this issue, they drifted apart, with rumors claiming they vowed not to meet for 40 years.

Actually, the two have shared the stage several times in recent years, contradicting the rumors of "zero interaction." In 1986, when Ti Lung won the Golden Horse Award for Best Actor with "A Better Tomorrow," Chiang reportedly congratulated him backstage. They were also invited together to present the Best New Performer award at the Hong Kong Film Awards the following year. They appeared together in a 40th-anniversary tribute to their mentor Chang Cheh, with Chiang affectionately holding Ti Lung and saying, "This is Brother Lung, my friend of over ten years." In 2014, they served as pallbearers for their late friend Wu Ma.

At last night’s award ceremony, Paul Chun remarked to Ti Lung, "I've known you for a long time, but this person seems to have known you even longer." Ti Lung agreed, mentioning their deep mutual understanding: "We have worked together for a long time and even lived in the same dormitory." The person they were referring to was David Chiang. Their rare reunion stunned the audience, and their subtle nods to each other moved many fans.

After receiving the award, David Chiang spoke emotionally about his career. He mentioned that he started working in the industry at the age of four, taking on various roles and jobs throughout his life. Now, at the age of 74, he has no plans to retire. He remarked that the entertainment industry has changed significantly in recent years, and he feels there is still much to learn. He believes that "there is no retirement for an artist."

Very interesting, kind of confirms a lot of what I've read and what has been posted. Still not sure about Ti Lung's possible affair with Ching Li and such (my knowledge of Shaw Bros. female stars could fill a thimble, just sort of going off the various rumors related to their breakup). So, I'm still digging into that!

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I'm doing all of this for a YouTube video. Hoping to do a deep dive on their relationship and their movies with as much first hand information as I can dig up.

Ti Lung and David Chiangs Century Reunion Breaks the Ice Revealing the Reason for Their 40-Year Rift.docx

Edited by WCJVC
  • Like 1