David Chiang

paimeifist

So today I saw on a twitter post that a video on the TVB YouTube channel was posted showing David Chiang winning a reward . Ti Lung was there as well and I read in the post that they reveal the reason they fell out. But it’s not in English ! Cool seeing them together though .  If anyone can translate what was said that be cool . That’s like a million dollar question in Shaw world lol 

Edited by HeavenSword
  • Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Thanks for this clip ! It's So strange to see Chun Pui with his white hair !

And David Chiang has still his charming smile !

I only understood the very end of his speech, in which he thanks his shifu Chang Cheh, if I heard well.

And I guess that he won an award for his 55 years career, from what was written on the screen.

I hope that some Cantonese speakers among us , members, will be able to translate this for the forum.

• Like 3

Congrats to David Chiang for receiving a lifetime achievement award from TVB (Million Stars award) which was presented by his brother, Paul Chun. You can also see Ti Lung in this clip and at the end, David raises his award and honors and dedicates it to Chang Cheh. Even at age 74, David says he has no plans to retire from the industry. :monk_toasting:

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

20 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Congrats to David Chiang for receiving a lifetime achievement award from TVB (Million Stars award) which was presented by his brother, Paul Chun. You can also see Ti Lung in this clip and at the end, David raises his award and honors and dedicates it to Chang Cheh. Even at age 74, David says he has no plans to retire from the industry. :monk_toasting:

Thanks to confirm what I said on our friend @HeavenSword who posted a similar clip in the Shaws Section (What is the most Shaw Brothers movie you have watched).

I read once an interview of Davis Chiang (I don't remember if it was on a dvd or where else) in which he said that the day he will retire from the movie industry will bethe  day when he won't be able to move anymore.

He still plays in series according to what I saw when I took a look at his Wikipedia page a few months ago, and that's great ! And as I said in the other post, he still shows his so charming smile !

• Like 3

On 1/4/2022 at 4:55 AM, HeavenSword said:

So today I saw on a twitter post that a video on the TVB YouTube channel was posted showing David Chiang winning a reward . Ti Lung was there as well and I read in the post that they reveal the reason they fell out. But it’s not in English ! Cool seeing them together though .  If anyone can translate what was said that be cool . That’s like a million dollar question in Shaw world lol 

Ti Lung said nothing about the reasons why he unfriended with David Chiang 50+years ago in the ceremony. He just mentioned that he knew the guy for a long time and used to live together (used to be a roommate in Shaw dormitory). He praised David Chiang’s work and he described David Chiang as “well rounded and multi-functional”.

From all interviews even 20 years after the break-up, David Chiang didn’t have a clue why Ti lung refused to contact him or share screen with him as well since the only fight they had come from the shooting of Empress Dowager in 1975.  The story is like David Chiang was supposed to be cameo for Ti lung but the director decided to add more and more screentimes for him till he became kinda second leading role and Ti Lung thought that he’s disloyal as a friend.  David Chiang mentioned in his autobiography that this might be the reason. But Ti Lung rejected and only said that he unfriended with David Chiang because of differences in working attitudes and characters. And actually Ti Lung stopped contacting david chiang more than a year after that shooting. They went to shoot 7-men army and seemed to have good relationship there. When they were back, david chiang called Ti Lung but he never picked up. He asked their mutual friend to talk with Ti Lung but he refused to come. Finally, Ti lung asked Chor Yuan to change the role of Ah Fei in the sentiment swordman from David Chiang to his brother Derek Yee coz Ti Lung didn’t want to share same setting with him. It’s quite a blow to David Chiang at that time coz Shaw and Chor Yuan contacted David Chiang about this role before. When he knew the reason, he’s shocked. David Chiang gave interview like  “I don’t know why he hates me. Maybe friends can share hardship but not fortune and fame. When we were very poor and got just 200 yuan for our salary, we love each other very much. When we become a bit famous, I no longer has this friend. And I’m frustrated coz I don’t know why. It’s doesn’t matter if he no longer treats me as his friend; as long as he doesn’t regard me as his enemy.”   It remained the mystery to HK entertainment cycle. But Ti lung always mentioned David Chiang in polite and positive  ways.  David Chiang co-starred with Ti Lung’s son last year and in one of their interviews, Ti Lung’s son mentioned that his dad still put group photo between him and David Chiang when they were young in the living room. So at least Ti Lung has no longer hold grudge against David Chiang. 

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

47 minutes ago, Ratchakorn said:

Ti Lung said nothing about the reasons why he unfriended with David Chiang 50+years ago in the ceremony. He just mentioned that he knew the guy for a long time and used to live together (used to be a roommate in Shaw dormitory). He praised David Chiang’s work and he described David Chiang as “well rounded and multi-functional”.

From all interviews even 20 years after the break-up, David Chiang didn’t have a clue why Ti lung refused to contact him or share screen with him as well since the only fight they had come from the shooting of Empress Dowager in 1975.  The story is like David Chiang was supposed to be cameo for Ti lung but the director decided to add more and more screentimes for him till he became kinda second leading role and Ti Lung thought that he’s disloyal as a friend.  David Chiang mentioned in his autobiography that this might be the reason. But Ti Lung rejected and only said that he unfriended with David Chiang because of differences in working attitudes and characters. And actually Ti Lung stopped contacting david chiang more than a year after that shooting. They went to shoot 7-men army and seemed to have good relationship there. When they were back, david chiang called Ti Lung but he never picked up. He asked their mutual friend to talk with Ti Lung but he refused to come. Finally, Ti lung asked Chor Yuan to change the role of Ah Fei in the sentiment swordman from David Chiang to his brother Derek Yee coz Ti Lung didn’t want to share same setting with him. It’s quite a blow to David Chiang at that time coz Shaw and Chor Yuan contacted David Chiang about this role before. When he knew the reason, he’s shocked. David Chiang gave interview like  “I don’t know why he hates me. Maybe friends can share hardship but not fortune and fame. When we were very poor and got just 200 yuan for our salary, we love each other very much. When we become a bit famous, I no longer has this friend. And I’m frustrated coz I don’t know why. It’s doesn’t matter if he no longer treats me as his friend; as long as he doesn’t regard me as his enemy.”   It remained the mystery to HK entertainment cycle. But Ti lung always mentioned David Chiang in polite and positive  ways.  David Chiang co-starred with Ti Lung’s son last year and in one of their interviews, Ti Lung’s son mentioned that his dad still put group photo between him and David Chiang when they were young in the living room. So at least Ti Lung has no longer hold grudge against David Chiang. 

In a French book about Kung Fu Cinema I bought many, many years ago in the 80's, it was mentioned that it was David Chiang's and Ti Lung's wives who didn't get along well, which caused their good relationship to be cut...

Thanks for this post, I wasn't aware at all of that, especially the change of David Chiang to Derek Yee in THe sentimental swordsman ! How good had been this movie had David played A Fei !

• Like 3

HeavenSword
1 hour ago, Ratchakorn said:

Ahh ok ,thanks ,  good info ! I always assumed it was the working attitudes / characters. Ti Lung was probably tired of playing second to Chiang . 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ratchakorn said:

David Chiang mentioned in his autobiography

David Chiang wrote an autobiography ?! I guess that it's writeen in Chinese only, right ? And can only be found on Chinese sites, right ?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

In a French book about Kung Fu Cinema I bought many, many years ago in the 80's, it was mentioned that it was David Chiang's and Ti Lung's wives who didn't get along well, which caused their good relationship to be cut...

Thanks for this post, I wasn't aware at all of that, especially the change of David Chiang to Derek Yee in THe sentimental swordsman ! How good had been this movie had David played A Fei !

Ti Lung and David Chiang’s wife used to have good relationship. He went to Chiang’s house and cooked for the couple frequently. Ti Lung decided to have wedding right after the finish of Empress Doweger’s shooting (before that at the beginning of that year he just gave interview saying that he planned to wait 5 years before having wedding.) 

Both wives were hostile after the break-up. It’s understandable especially Chiang’s wife as Chiang’s career went downhill right after that. (Two projects with Ti Lung and David Chiang decided to remove Chiang; only Baval commandos by Chang Che that kept Chiang and changed Ti Lung to cameo). He even went to Taiwan instead of renewing contract with Shaw about a year after that saying that the circle is too closed there and Chiang’s wife called him stupid at that time.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

10 hours ago, HeavenSword said:

Ahh ok ,thanks ,  good info ! I always assumed it was the working attitudes / characters. Ti Lung was probably tired of playing second to Chiang . 

Chiang was praised quite a lot in Empress Dowager and there was one scene in which once the director said cut, Every crews gave big applause to him. Ti Lung even cried during the shooting of this movie. I think he’s truly hurt. He’s the one who persuaded Chiang to be his cameo. chiang first reluctant coz he didn’t want to shave bald but Ti Lung insisted that he want Chiang to play. There was a photo that Ti Lung shave Chiang at that time. 

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

9 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

David Chiang wrote an autobiography ?! I guess that it's writeen in Chinese only, right ? And can only be found on Chinese sites, right ?

Yes in Chinese. Actually, Chiang wrote many columns in magazines too. The first one I saw was “Bodyguard and me” in 1969. He wrote about his relationship between Ti Lung and him quite a lot so it seemed like they were very closed friend before Chang Che paired them in 20+ movies.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I think it's different characters as Ti Lung mentioned. During that time David Chiang is very simple-minded guy and he never concerns about fame and fortunes. Chang Che said in one of his interview that David Chiang is very talented but his weakness is that he's not competitive and kinda laid back (or a bit lazy). You can see that he doesn't really care about his fame from many interviews and events. When he started to be famous in 1969, the reporter asked how he felt and he said that he didn't feel anything. Last year the same crowd just squeezed him a side to meet Wang Yu. Now this crowd targeted at him and one day they will follow other actors. When he got Asian actor award in 1970, he gave interview saying that it's a piece of rubbish metal! In 1977,  the reporter asked him how he feel when his fame started to fall, he said that ups and downs is common in entertainment circle. And Chang Che always mentioned that he's super childish and talked unwisely and he didn't know when David Chiang can grow up. Poor old man. When he got new contract from Shaw in 1970 (Chang Che helped him to negotiate to get 100,000 yuan per movie, 4 movies per year), he said to Shaw boss that he wouldn't sign the contract unless Ti Lung (who's still not as famous during that time) got the same contract as him; otherwise, he would quit. So Ti Lung got the same contract. Later the reporter asked what he's going to do if he quit Shaw. He said that he can do any jobs including Taxi driver! But he's happy with Shaw now so he stayed. In 1974, after shooting the legend of 7 golden vampires, Hammer film was happy with him and offered him the contract of 2 millions yuan per year which was much higher than his salary at Shaw but he rejected to sign coz Chang Che recommended against that choice. Later on he entered TV series in 1980. The first two series that he filmed were huge  success. The dynasty is ranked no 5 for all time highest rating of ATV/RTV and Princess Cheung Ping is ranked no 2 for all time highest rating of ATV/RTV. He was offered many protagonist roles at that time (and TV industry is more successful than filming industry during that time) but he rejected coz he wanted to start a career as a director. He entered City Scope and asked the company to be just an assistant director first. Some of his films were monetary successful (all of them are comedy with Eric Tsang or Lydia Shum so they are not famous internationally but they got 20-30 millions HK dollars). Some were good like silent love (he was almost nominated for best directing from this movie but it's too controversial so it ended up nominate only for actress) and many were bad. He was extremely disappointed with the movie circle in 1990s. (with mobs, competitive just for some actors and mafia things like carina lau was abducted and so on). So he decided to evacuate to Canada. John Woo mentioned in his interview that David Chiang helped him quite a lot when they were young. In one interview he specifically mentioned that when he was assistant director at Shaw, he was super poor and one day he went to David Chiang (who was still poor) for help. Chiang took his bamboo piggy bank and poured all money to him asking him to take them if John woo thought that he's his friend. He also said that David Chiang still helped him all the way when Chiang became famous and even asked Chang Che to try him as the third lead in Young people (1972) but it didn't work out well so the third lead went to Chen kuan Tai. So when John Woo became super famous he wanted to work with Chiang either as a co-direct or asked him to star in his film but Chiang always rejected. He even wanted to remake the Vengeance with Chiang. Johnnie To wanted to give a car to David Chiang saying that Chiang helped him before but Chiang also rejected. You can see several interviews from himself and his friends that he doesn't really care about fortune and many times he made unwise decision regarding his career. Chen Kuan Tai once mentioned that David Chiang is like the role that he played, the noble knight with kind-hearted.

As for Ti Lung, he's noble knight too. He helped people a lot. He used to give Wu ma extra salary himself when Wu ma struggle from low salary at Shaw. He took a good care of his brothers in film circle. He disciplined Fu Sheng and asked him to drive after him coz Fu Sheng always drove very fast. Derek Yee said that Ti Lung took very good care of him when they were filming even though TI Lung and his brother (Chiang) had conflicts and it surprised him. Derek Yee even regarded Ti Lung as his brother. You can see countless stories how he took a very good care of David Chiang. But Ti Lung is very ambitious and competitive. He worked super hard and he was not as talented as David Chiang in term of acting. He even mentioned in interview in 1986 saying that for the role that Chiang took 5 hours to practice, he needed 50 hours to practice to be as good as Chiang. And Chang Che was always biased toward Chiang. It's understandable during the first years of their career as David Chiang got superstar status very fast in 1970. Ti Lung started to be superstar in 1973 after Blood brother (before that he's twin star with David Chiang. But after getting award in 1973, Chang Che was still biased toward Chiang. And starting from 1974, Chang Che shifted his attention to Five venoms and third generation like Fu Sheng and wanted Ti Lung and David Chiang to start directing which is not what Ti Lung wanted. Chen Guan Tai got famous from several movies with other directors and he became the leading actor there. So it's natural why Ti Lung wanted to part with Chang Che. After Empress Dowager, Ti Lung filmed 7 men army and he's promised to get the leading role in this movie but ended up with almost equal screen time with ensemble casts. The story of David Chiang in the movie is somewhat interesting and the rings that he wanted to give to his wife were carried on till the end of the movie. When he got award, he thought so highly about that. And when his career went downhill after Shaw broke contract with him in 1984, he was very depressed and sad and even refuse to meet other people. The two are so different. I think that's why Ti Lung decided to break from David Chiang. But it's very mysterious why he broke his relationship with David Chiang without speaking a word with him when they were such a good friend (they even mentioned that they are family) for almost ten years. Noone knows coz Ti Lung never mentioned anything except conflicts in characters and attitudes (very vague reasons). At that time the headline was like Hongkong was trembling and waiting for their reconcile but it never happened. They seemed to gain friendship a bit once Ti Lung got award in 1986. Chiang came to congrat Ti Lung and there were a picture that two of them held hands and Ti Lung put their hands to Chiang's chest. Both of them said that they hoped to reconcile but the details should be left as their own matters. After that both shared the same frames for several years and planed to co-act in just heroes but Ti Lung got injuries from shooting so his role was substituted by Danny Lee. They broke friendship again from Chang Che's funeral as Ti Lung didn't show up and Chiang thought it's ungrateful. Ti Lung mentioned many years later that he had some conflicts with Chang Che during his last months of life and Chang Che sent a short letter to him "thank you for your care" to indicate that Ti Lung shouldn't come to meet him again and it broke his heart. Anyway, Ti Lung always talked about Chiang in positive ways. He praised Chiang in Shaolin Mantis saying that Chiang never practiced Mantis style before but he was so good there. Ti Lung even said that they are people with the same soul so supporting David Chiang is similar to supporting him in 2003.  In the TVB award ceremony last month, Ti Lung talked about Chiang in very positive and warm ways. It's sad that several misunderstandings and conflicts broke their relationship and as Ti Lung has retired, it's impossible to see them co-star again. But Chiang is still super active in filming. He's still one of the leading roles in his recent dramas with TVB these years even he's 70+ and his series are sold well. I think Daddy cool is the second highest rating in 2018 and the big white duel is the highest rating in 2019. The forgotten day last year got good rating as well. He said in the interview after award ceremony that he will continue to act untill he cannot move. 

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 2

On 3/3/2022 at 7:08 AM, Ratchakorn said:

I think it's different characters as Ti Lung mentioned. During that time David Chiang is very simple-minded guy and he never concerns about fame and fortunes. Chang Che said in one of his interview that David Chiang is very talented but his weakness is that he's not competitive and kinda laid back (or a bit lazy). You can see that he doesn't really care about his fame from many interviews and events. When he started to be famous in 1969, the reporter asked how he felt and he said that he didn't feel anything. Last year the same crowd just squeezed him a side to meet Wang Yu. Now this crowd targeted at him and one day they will follow other actors. When he got Asian actor award in 1970, he gave interview saying that it's a piece of rubbish metal! In 1977,  the reporter asked him how he feel when his fame started to fall, he said that ups and downs is common in entertainment circle. And Chang Che always mentioned that he's super childish and talked unwisely and he didn't know when David Chiang can grow up. Poor old man. When he got new contract from Shaw in 1970 (Chang Che helped him to negotiate to get 100,000 yuan per movie, 4 movies per year), he said to Shaw boss that he wouldn't sign the contract unless Ti Lung (who's still not as famous during that time) got the same contract as him; otherwise, he would quit. So Ti Lung got the same contract. Later the reporter asked what he's going to do if he quit Shaw. He said that he can do any jobs including Taxi driver! But he's happy with Shaw now so he stayed. In 1974, after shooting the legend of 7 golden vampires, Hammer film was happy with him and offered him the contract of 2 millions yuan per year which was much higher than his salary at Shaw but he rejected to sign coz Chang Che recommended against that choice. Later on he entered TV series in 1980. The first two series that he filmed were huge  success. The dynasty is ranked no 5 for all time highest rating of ATV/RTV and Princess Cheung Ping is ranked no 2 for all time highest rating of ATV/RTV. He was offered many protagonist roles at that time (and TV industry is more successful than filming industry during that time) but he rejected coz he wanted to start a career as a director. He entered City Scope and asked the company to be just an assistant director first. Some of his films were monetary successful (all of them are comedy with Eric Tsang or Lydia Shum so they are not famous internationally but they got 20-30 millions HK dollars). Some were good like silent love (he was almost nominated for best directing from this movie but it's too controversial so it ended up nominate only for actress) and many were bad. He was extremely disappointed with the movie circle in 1990s. (with mobs, competitive just for some actors and mafia things like carina lau was abducted and so on). So he decided to evacuate to Canada. John Woo mentioned in his interview that David Chiang helped him quite a lot when they were young. In one interview he specifically mentioned that when he was assistant director at Shaw, he was super poor and one day he went to David Chiang (who was still poor) for help. Chiang took his bamboo piggy bank and poured all money to him asking him to take them if John woo thought that he's his friend. He also said that David Chiang still helped him all the way when Chiang became famous and even asked Chang Che to try him as the third lead in Young people (1972) but it didn't work out well so the third lead went to Chen kuan Tai. So when John Woo became super famous he wanted to work with Chiang either as a co-direct or asked him to star in his film but Chiang always rejected. He even wanted to remake the Vengeance with Chiang. Johnnie To wanted to give a car to David Chiang saying that Chiang helped him before but Chiang also rejected. You can see several interviews from himself and his friends that he doesn't really care about fortune and many times he made unwise decision regarding his career. Chen Kuan Tai once mentioned that David Chiang is like the role that he played, the noble knight with kind-hearted.

As for Ti Lung, he's noble knight too. He helped people a lot. He used to give Wu ma extra salary himself when Wu ma struggle from low salary at Shaw. He took a good care of his brothers in film circle. He disciplined Fu Sheng and asked him to drive after him coz Fu Sheng always drove very fast. Derek Yee said that Ti Lung took very good care of him when they were filming even though TI Lung and his brother (Chiang) had conflicts and it surprised him. Derek Yee even regarded Ti Lung as his brother. You can see countless stories how he took a very good care of David Chiang. But Ti Lung is very ambitious and competitive. He worked super hard and he was not as talented as David Chiang in term of acting. He even mentioned in interview in 1986 saying that for the role that Chiang took 5 hours to practice, he needed 50 hours to practice to be as good as Chiang. And Chang Che was always biased toward Chiang. It's understandable during the first years of their career as David Chiang got superstar status very fast in 1970. Ti Lung started to be superstar in 1973 after Blood brother (before that he's twin star with David Chiang. But after getting award in 1973, Chang Che was still biased toward Chiang. And starting from 1974, Chang Che shifted his attention to Five venoms and third generation like Fu Sheng and wanted Ti Lung and David Chiang to start directing which is not what Ti Lung wanted. Chen Guan Tai got famous from several movies with other directors and he became the leading actor there. So it's natural why Ti Lung wanted to part with Chang Che. After Empress Dowager, Ti Lung filmed 7 men army and he's promised to get the leading role in this movie but ended up with almost equal screen time with ensemble casts. The story of David Chiang in the movie is somewhat interesting and the rings that he wanted to give to his wife were carried on till the end of the movie. When he got award, he thought so highly about that. And when his career went downhill after Shaw broke contract with him in 1984, he was very depressed and sad and even refuse to meet other people. The two are so different. I think that's why Ti Lung decided to break from David Chiang. But it's very mysterious why he broke his relationship with David Chiang without speaking a word with him when they were such a good friend (they even mentioned that they are family) for almost ten years. Noone knows coz Ti Lung never mentioned anything except conflicts in characters and attitudes (very vague reasons). At that time the headline was like Hongkong was trembling and waiting for their reconcile but it never happened. They seemed to gain friendship a bit once Ti Lung got award in 1986. Chiang came to congrat Ti Lung and there were a picture that two of them held hands and Ti Lung put their hands to Chiang's chest. Both of them said that they hoped to reconcile but the details should be left as their own matters. After that both shared the same frames for several years and planed to co-act in just heroes but Ti Lung got injuries from shooting so his role was substituted by Danny Lee. They broke friendship again from Chang Che's funeral as Ti Lung didn't show up and Chiang thought it's ungrateful. Ti Lung mentioned many years later that he had some conflicts with Chang Che during his last months of life and Chang Che sent a short letter to him "thank you for your care" to indicate that Ti Lung shouldn't come to meet him again and it broke his heart. Anyway, Ti Lung always talked about Chiang in positive ways. He praised Chiang in Shaolin Mantis saying that Chiang never practiced Mantis style before but he was so good there. Ti Lung even said that they are people with the same soul so supporting David Chiang is similar to supporting him in 2003.  In the TVB award ceremony last month, Ti Lung talked about Chiang in very positive and warm ways. It's sad that several misunderstandings and conflicts broke their relationship and as Ti Lung has retired, it's impossible to see them co-star again. But Chiang is still super active in filming. He's still one of the leading roles in his recent dramas with TVB these years even he's 70+ and his series are sold well. I think Daddy cool is the second highest rating in 2018 and the big white duel is the highest rating in 2019. The forgotten day last year got good rating as well. He said in the interview after award ceremony that he will continue to act untill he cannot move. 

Thank you so much for this development  about David Chiang's character an Ti Lung too. I easily guess that it's true that in real life, David is a noble knight with a kind heart ! 

In case of you wouldn't have guessed, David Chiang is my top favourite actor ex aequo with Adam Cheng...:bs_smile:

And you are more than welcome to the forum, just for your posts regarding David Chiang. I'm a big fan of Ti Lung too, of course...

• Like 2

AlexanderFu

I love all the movies David did away from Shaw's. like Strife for Mastery and Return of the Deadly Blade.

He was as cool as anyone ever filmed on this planet. a true classic that only a lucky few even know about.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I found a few rare pictures o David Chiang on a Facebook group. At least, they are rare for me.

Here is one with his sister and his brothers. I love it !

240589093_576130026914418_1962316083926516309_n.jpg

• Like 2