On 4/24/2020 at 1:18 PM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Southern Screen 140, October 1969

DSC_1057.JPG

WOOOOOOOOWWWWW !!

I had never seen this one !

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING !!

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

Funny how he looks a bit like Chen Hung Lieh on this one! Apart from this pic, I never noticed any similarity between them. 

• Like 3

ShawAngela
53 minutes ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Funny how he looks a bit like Chen Hung Lieh on this one! Apart from this pic, I never noticed any similarity between them. 

Oh, yes, you are true ! Maybe because they share the same predatory smile...:bs_laughing:

Though David Chiang doesn't look like a predator here...

• Like 4

Does anybody know if David Chiang studied martial arts? I know he was a stuntman & good with the wire, in Shaw brothers movies.. also good with a sword.. but did he actually belong to a school does anybody know? Or was he just trained up for the Shaw brothers movies? He’s probably my favourite Shaw brothers actor.. but he would be way down my list on his Kung fu (on screen) either way, what a superb actor! 

Edited by Jonny
Spelling mistake
  • Like 6

Whether he belonged to any school or not, David Chiang was certainly involved in the arts. He mentioned in one interview that Bruce Lee was a close friend.  You can see David training in the Fists of Fire documentary  (start @ 2:53).

Edited by teako170
  • Like 9

Iron_Leopard

I agree his on screen fight scenes are nothing to write home about but his screen presence was through the roof.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I agree his on screen fight scenes are nothing to write home about but his screen presence was through the roof.

Have you seen "the loot" or "the challenger"?

He did fine in those...

• Like 6

In the bonuses of one of my Wildside dvds, he said that he was the fighting instructor for a movie, but I don' t remember which one. For me, one can't be a fighting instructor without having a martial arts background, and if you watch him in his TV series, you'll see that he is as powerful as in The challenger or The loot.

• Like 5

I think his on screen martial arts while at times good(the loot,the challenger,Shaolin mantis)other times were not so great,but I think one of his nicknames was Mr Kung fu so maybe he has had some formal training but not really sure.As some people have said he does have a screen presence though and I do like a lot of his stuff.

• Like 6

for some reason david fights better in tv series, but in the loot  the challenger and shaolin mantis he was great but he is one of the best actors of the genre

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, rdenn said:

for some reason david fights better in tv series

Maybe because he was asked to restrain himself in the movies in order to avoid outshining the other stars of the movies they all played in ?

• Like 4

David Chiang can act.  By looking at his films, I can see he did have good training -its just that he is not quite the athlete of other gifted martial artists.  In some way, perhaps that has helped him vary and extend his career.  Otherwise, actors become typecast and may eventually have a shorter stay in the film industry as the genre changes.  Ti Lung has had a transition from martial arts to a gangster in John Woo's films -revitalizing his career.  He also played an Eliot Ness type character in First Shot and an aging grandfather in The Kid from The Big Apple films.

• Like 4

Answering to the question regarding david Chiang's belonging to a martial arts school...I'm a little bit late...:bs_laughing:

Maybe David Chiang was Liu Chia Liangs' student as were Lily Li, Fu Sheng, Adam Cheng an others, I don't remember if this has ever been mentioned in the past, but it's a fact that a lot of the Shaws' actors (or, before Liu Chia Liang becomes part of the Shaws' empire, the Cantonese movies actors) were Liu Chia Liang's students and trained hard.

It's also mentioned in one clip that I was asked to translate from French a while ago on this forum, that Shaws' actors/actresses had to train in martial arts for at least one year before shooting in movies, or something like that.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Did I dream, or did I recognize Helen Ma in the second clip, where there are a lot of actors showing their thumbs up ?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

And the second clip even features our friend @KUNG FU BOB's poster for Vengeance ! What a consecration !!

@KUNG FU BOB ace artwork shows up everywhere, it even turned up in a Jim Kelly interview I shared on the forum.

8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Did I dream, or did I recognize Helen Ma in the second clip, where there are a lot of actors showing their thumbs up ?

I haven't got round to watching either of the videos just yet, I was just thought they would be of interest to fellow fans here.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, rdenn said:

got a shout out from david chiang

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVXv0I5IE4u/

I can't see it, no instagram account...

I just saw "Hello, Rodney Dennis" !

But it's great ! I whish I were you to be able to speak with my idol ! Maybe you'll be able to contact him again regarding the series Nine dragon warriors he played in (if I remember well the title).

• Like 3