David Chiang

paimeifist

DragonClaws
52 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I can't quote you, but here is my answer : I think that the above clip is from a recent series.

Thanks @ShawAngela, here's a few more David Chiang related images.

MV5BMmEyOTgyMGQtYTM0Ni00ZTRhLWJlNGYtNzU0

wuxia-trilogy.jpg?w=700

a23b58c7c0f4a730b58217552110e6a6.jpg

b97fcd3f240181e25919da18930f8eba--kung-f

• Like 3

Well, I copied/pasted the image, but was unable to write under it, so, I'm forced to do another post...

Except David Chiang, they all seem to be uncomfortable (I was about to write " constipated ", but fortunately, I verified on a dictionary and saw that it wasn't the right word, even if here, in France, we use it precisely to say " uncomfortable " with humour...) and Ti Lung and Wang Chung even seem as if they were praying before God's statue...Also, it seems that only Chen Kuan Tai is looking at the photograph while all the others look in the same direction...

But it's a nice picture, tough !! Such great stars on the same picture is a luck !

I guess that it was during a promotion of the movie Savage five that it has been shot, right ?

• Like 2

Did David Chiang ever played a bad guy ?

I haven't watched all of his movies as yet, so, I don't know the answer to this question, but I recently got the 2000's series Magic Blade in which he plays and from what I saw while testing the discs, he plays a very bad guy in it !

And it seems to me that he also plays a not very recommendable guy in the series Revolving doors of vengeance, but I'm not sure because I haven't watched it as yet either...

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

In Chor Yuen's Death Duel he's maybe not so much a badguy but a complete psycho trapped in a cage, untill someone lets him out and he kills everyone on screen. But actually more of a tragic, but insane character.

• Like 5

Chu Liu Hsiang
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:13 PM, ShawAngela said:

Well, I copied/pasted the image, but was unable to write under it, so, I'm forced to do another post...

Except David Chiang, they all seem to be uncomfortable (I was about to write " constipated ", but fortunately, I verified on a dictionary and saw that it wasn't the right word, even if here, in France, we use it precisely to say " uncomfortable " with humour...) and Ti Lung and Wang Chung even seem as if they were praying before God's statue...Also, it seems that only Chen Kuan Tai is looking at the photograph while all the others look in the same direction...

But it's a nice picture, tough !! Such great stars on the same picture is a luck !

I guess that it was during a promotion of the movie Savage five that it has been shot, right ?

Great pic, thanks! It is indeed one of those where one would love to know where and why ... With all due respect, Wang Chung does really look a bit constipated :D 

I just got A MAD WORLD OF FOOLS, look forward to watching it. Seems to be his first venture into comedy.

While browsing his hkmdb entry, I found he is listed for a 1969 Taiwanese movie, THE RATTLING WHIP http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=13368&display_set=eng which seems odd as I thought he did only work for SB at that time. I also have problems to recognize him in that picture on hkmdb.

RattlingWhip+1969-35-b.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

While browsing his hkmdb entry, I found he is listed for a 1969 Taiwanese movie, THE RATTLING WHIP http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=13368&display_set=eng which seems odd as I thought he did only work for SB at that time. I also have problems to recognize him in that picture on hkmdb.

RattlingWhip+1969-35-b.jpg

Yes, I have the movie, and he has a short scene, and yes, it's difficult to recognize him !

His two first movies were for two different companies.

Then, his third movie was amready for the Shaws : Green Heaven with Li Lihua, in 1953.

Then, there was alternance between the Shaws and other companies for the following movies.

He was also in Cathay movies : Ladies first in 1962, Unspeakable truths in 1962.

He played in several Cantonese movies with Connie Chan (Black killer), Fung Bo Bo and so on, just as " extra " as it's mentioned on hkmdb.

He also played in Taiwanese movies suche as Spring morning, flying clouds.

And from 1968, he mostly played in Shaw Brothers' movies, and from 1981, he played in other movies than Shaws' ones.

Here is a picture froom his second movie Beautiful corpse in the bath, 1952. He didn't change at all !

BeautifulCorpseintheBath+1952-1-t.jpg

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

His filmography is really impressive, thanks @ShawAngela ! His face is usually very recognizable. I saw glimpses of his appearance in 1956's ORPHAN GIRL via Li Han Hsiang's "movie movie" PASSING FLICKERS, really enjoyed those moments and wished they'd shown more of that.

• Like 3

I was wondering above if David Chiang ever played a villain (except iin cameos such in the Cantonese or old movies mentioned in the previous post).

It seems that now that he is old, he has decided to play bad guys indeed, and he even seems to enjoy it a lot !

I found another series in which he plays a villain, one of his 2018 series : Birth of a hero. The whole series looks like a martial arts comedy with great fight scenes, a bit of drama, a bit of fantasy and the villain David Chiang with a unbelievable haircut ! Even playing bad guys, he has kept his so charming smile !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Thai poster, for Shaolin Handlock(1978)

shaolin-handlock-9c6bd021-83c4-4e00-9457

Thai posters are great, but sometimes, actors/actresses are difficult to recognize...For insantce, I can't recognize Chen Hui Min, here ; I don't know whi os the guy between David Chiang and the actress, and hte guy in blue looks like Sombat Metanee or any other Thai actor...Fortunately, David Chiang and Lo Lieh are recognizeable !!

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

David Chiang, prepares to face Bolo Yeung, in a scene from the Chang Cheh directed, The Heroic One's(1970)

SB6.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Shaolin Handlock(1978)

David Chiang plays scholar Wei Lung, in a scene from the movie.

Mantis-style-Shaolin-Mantis-1.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Shaolin Handlock(1978)

David Chiang plays scholar Wei Lung, in a scene from the movie.

Mantis-style-Shaolin-Mantis-1.jpg

One of my favourite movies of his !!

I have the French language vhs, the Wildside dvd and the IVL dvd and I already watched it at least 4 times !!

I love everything in this  movie : the music during the credits, the plot, the fights...The only thing I'm complaining about is that Chen Ping doesn't have enough fights in it...

I'm talking about the movie Shaolin hand lock, but I just realized that your picture is from Shaolin Mantis....which is also a favourite of mine that I also already watched many times, with the same above mentioned formats...And the only thing I complain about in Shaolin mantis is the sad ending of the hero...

Thanks.

And two hours after, I realize that your clip is from Shaolin Hand Lock...I'm not the only one to be a little confused after some of Ti Lung's Energy Drinks...

tenor2.gif

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

One of my favourite movies of his !!

I have the French language vhs, the Wildside dvd and the IVL dvd and I already watched it at least 4 times !!

I love everything in this  movie : the music during the credits, the plot, the fights...The only thing I'm complaining about is that Chen Ping doesn't have enough fights in it...

I'm talking about the movie Shaolin hand lock, but I just realized that your picture is from Shaolin Mantis....which is also a favourite of mine that I also already watched many times, with the same above mentioned formats...And the only thing I complain about in Shaolin mantis is the sad ending of the hero...

Thanks.

It`s not one of my favs but still ok. I say Thailand locations help a lot to increase attention and cast is great. It lacks "that something" to make it really good but worth seeing for sure...

I would not call chiang in mantis either hero (or villain). None of characters are exactly bad or good but ladies have most strict good heart...Chiang was on a mission for official law after all although our sympathy is for patriots.

Edited by Tex Killer
  • Like 2