Moon Warriors (1992)

Iron_Leopard

What are everyone's thoughts and opinions on this film? Below average? Average? Better than average? I don't see it talked about much on the internet so I'm guessing it wouldn't make many top ten of the decade lists but it makes mine. I find it highly entertaining with a great cast, great music, and great fights. The story does tend to drag in the middle when Andy and Anita are on their own trying to make it to the fishing village but it dosen't slow the movie down too much overall. This movie gets a few extra points from me for just having Maggie Cheung in it. She is my favorite actress and I will watch anything with her in it. I much prefer Kung Fu but this and Dragon Inn (1992) are easily my two favorite Wu Xia movies.

Also how can you go wrong with a Kung Fu Killer Whale?

• Like 1

MOON WARRIORS and DRAGON INN are imo the best 90s wuxia movies, they even top SWORDSMAN 1 + 2 and BRIDE WITH WHITE HAIR. I absolutely adore the action choreography in MOON WARRIORS but the visuals in general are just beautiful and so is the soundtrack. Andy Lau is not great but okay, his character is more relatable than many other wuxia heroes.

I am very grateful Hong Kong Legends released a great dvd of this gem.

Edited by kami
  • Like 3

Wow high praise. Yes I love both of those movies. They make a good double feature seeing as how they both came out in 92 and co star Maggie Cheung. I've only seen "Swordsman 2" out of the three you listed and I honestly didn't care for it at all. Still need to see "Bride with White Hair".

• Like 1

Iron_Leopard
On 12/17/2015 at 11:47 PM, kami said:

You should. But not for the action.

Wonder what that's suppose to mean.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

It means there are other wuxia movies with better action. The fights in Bride with White Hair are interesting but the main merits of the movie lie in its story, characters and atmosphere.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On ‎17‎-‎12‎-‎2015 at 8:18 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

Still need to see "Bride with White Hair".

5 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

@kami nailed it.  'Bride with White Hair' is a classic of HK cinema, but it's not really an action movie, more of a love story.  If you enjoy the likes of Tsui Hark's 'Green Snake' then you'll likely get a kick out of it.

There's a dedicated thread for both the original and its sequel here -

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

Mei Ah has just released a brand new Blu Ray of Sammo Hung's classic (in my eyes), The Moon Warriors. I'm not sure of the picture quality or anything like that but IMB has a run time of 82 minutes and DDDHouse are showing a run time of 87 minutes. So maybe it's uncut?

Anyway, you can buy it from DDDHouse here or Yes Asia here

• Like 4

kingofkungfu2002
4 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Mei Ah has just released a brand new Blu Ray of Sammo Hung's classic (in my eyes), The Moon Warriors. I'm not sure of the picture quality or anything like that but IMB has a run time of 82 minutes and DDDHouse are showing a run time of 87 minutes. So maybe it's uncut?

Anyway, you can buy it from DDDHouse here or Yes Asia here

Mine shipped yesterday.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
1 minute ago, kingofkungfu2002 said:

Mine shipped yesterday.

I'll pick it up when I get paid next week. with shipping and handling, it's going to be somewhat costly. I do love the film though.

Off topic, but I hope we see a Blu Ray release of Savior of the Soul one day.

• Like 1

kingofkungfu2002
9 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'll pick it up when I get paid next week. with shipping and handling, it's going to be somewhat costly. I do love the film though.

Off topic, but I hope we see a Blu Ray release of Savior of the Soul one day.

Yeah, mine cost about £22 in total, with postage to the UK. I also ordered 'Full Contact' for the same price (which arrived today).

• Like 1

I hope it’s uncut because the HD master for Kung Fu Cult Master was censored. Hope someone can report back with some positive news. Just too many titles getting re-released now to keep up.

• Like 1

Iron_Leopard

Maybe martial arts film fans aren't as dead as I thought they were. 

I saw someone posted this movie on YouTube a day ago and it already has over 50k views. That's impressive.

• Like 2

I watched it years ago when it was released on DVD in France and I remember that I loved it. There was à special atmosphere in it.

Maybe if I watched it again I would change my mind, I don' t know...

• Like 2

I remember enjoying it quite alot. This was one of few good efforts Sammo Hung directed in the 90s, a time when he went downhill as an overall filmmaker.

• Like 2

I went in blind with this one and two others, I bought the made in Hong Kong vhs along with blade of fury and burning paradise and loved all three.

Edited by makone
  • Like 3

I didn't like Hark and Siu-Tung's Swordsman 1 and 2, can I like this one from Sammo? I know it's a classic but I've never had the courage.

• Like 3

This is the one with the whale right? Either way, fantastic action and great movie. I need to upgrade my HK dvd with the blu ray at some point.

• Like 5

On 7/13/2020 at 11:59 AM, JackieRome said:

I didn't like Hark and Siu-Tung's Swordsman 1 and 2, can I like this one from Sammo? I know it's a classic but I've never had the courage.

Well, Ching Siu-Tung is responsible for Moon Warrior's action as well, in collaboration with Corey Yuen. And while there's a lot of flying and effect mayhem going on there's also a lot of classic 90s style martial arts. You have to tolerate the constant undercranking, though, but that's true for most martial arts-movies of that period.

• Like 3

Cognoscente

In his second book, Jackie referenced this movie indirectly (Chapter 21): "Once, Sammo Hung made a film with four big stars, but it didn't have much of a run. All the fight scenes were clearly performed by stunt doubles, always keeping their faces hidden. Who wants to pay to see that?"

• Like 2