Sword Master (2016) - Derek Yee's Remake of Death Duel

Guest HungKuen

Guest HungKuen

...Derek Yee's plans to remake Death Duel (Sword of the Third Master)? I remember there being talk about that a year or two back, but I haven't heard anything more about it. I would personally love to see it come true. Death Duel is one of my favourite swordplay movies, and it would certainly be interesting to see what they could do with it now, with today's style of filmmaking. It would of course not be better than the original, but I still think it could make a great movie.

Anyone heard anything about this?

He's said before this was his favorite film he worked on at Shaw Brothers. Derek Yee is a very good director; I'll be looking forward to this.

Death Duel is one of my favorite Chor Yuen films but if Derek Yee indeeds remakes it, I say leave the Chor Yuen influence (mystery elements, 1000 characters, quick cuts and edits) out.

Given his track record through the decades (drama, thrillers, romances, crime etc), I think Derek Yee can do any kind of movie, so kung fu movies shouldn't be a problem for him at all (since he also starred in many MA classics back then).

I'd be more excited if I heard he were remaking Shaolin Intruders or something of that ilk. Death Duel has too much potential for pretentiously moody-introspective-swordsman remake wooliness than kickassery. I like kickassery.

Right, Death Duel does have the potential of having too many shots of swordsmen starring into the distance contemplating their life rather than azz kicking. Ashes of Time-like is a possibility.

May have to watch this again but I remember this movie was missing some of that shaw magic(though the sets were great), I liked Killer Clans and Magic Blade better.

Eh, I feel the same way about most remakes of Shaw movies. It's not going to have the actors, the sets, the art and costume design, the music, the film stock, the filming and editing style, or the fight choreography of the Shaws, so it's not going to recapture any of that magic. Hopefully it will just be a good martial arts movie in its own right.

But since Derek Yee was actually the main actor in the original and have worked with Shaw's best in the past. I really hope he can bring some of the old school element into the his new work :)

Eastern Evil

I guess this never panned out?

Love the movie of course - Ling Yun was the best part for me although

Derek Yee great also.

Fan Mei-sheng had a small part, I just love the guy & I really enjoy the character roles eh had in The Chor Yuen/Gu Long movies.

I love when he rushes in making the berserker noises when he is saving Ti Lung in 'The Sentimental Swordsman'. Very loyal.

Best smile in movies. Big shit eating grin.

I think he was made to be in movies doing just what he did.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Here is some more info:

Here are images from the filming:

http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.com/2014/09/check-out-new-set-pics-from-yee-sword.html

Sword%2BMaster%2BSet%2BPics%2B-%2B1

First image:

30620_500.jpg

http://www.jaynestars.com/movies/tsui-hark-derek-yee-team-up-for-death-duel-movie-remak

Tsui Hark, Derek Yee Team Up for “Death Duel” Movie Remake

By Joanna on April 29, 2014

Tsui Hark, Derek Yee Team Up for “Death Duel” Movie Remake thumbnail

56 9

0 Share0

An upcoming 3D movie adaptation of Death Duel <三少爺的劍> recently began filming at Hengdian World Studios, featuring Derek Yee (爾冬陞) as director and Tsui Hark (徐克) as executive producer.

Literally translated as “The Third Master’s Sword,” Death Duel is based on one of the most popular works of wuxia novelist Gu Long (古龍). The story centers on Xie Xiaofeng, who is called the third master and is considered one of the top swordsmen in the world. However, he quickly becomes weary of the bloody occurrences in the martial arts world and mysteriously disappears.

Death Duel has been adapted many times, the most popular being the 1977 movie directed by Chor Yuen (楚原). In this version, Derek Yee actually starred as the titular third master, which gives him an edge in directing a new adaptation.

“Tsui Hark and I have wanted to film Death Duel as early as 1998,” Yee said, later comparing himself and Tsui Hark to ancient martial arts masters, who always waited for the right time to embark on a task. “We wanted to wait until no one knew how to make an innovative wuxia film, until viewers were fed up with buying tickets for wuxia films. It isn’t our style to blindly follow the crowd – it’s too dull to do something that isn’t challenging.”

Death Duel will star Lin Gengxin (林更新) as Xie Xiaofeng and Peter Ho (何潤東) as his rival, Yan Shisan. Also joining the cast are Mainland Chinese actresses Jiang Yiyan (江一燕) and Jiang Mengjie (蔣夢婕), though their roles have not yet been revealed. When asked about the cast, Yee shared that for many movies, it is easy for viewers to guess the story’s outcome based on the actors in the film. However, he hopes that this will not be the case for his and Tsui Hark’s version of Death Duel.

GD Y-Y

I'm probably gonna hate the actors & not like the movie itself but I'm glad they are doing it because it can only shine light on the original, which was as true a classic as anything ever filmed on this planet.

I hope I am wrong, I just hope it brings some glory to the Shaw Brothers catalogue.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Having trouble with editing............................................................................so sorry for the chaos.

GD Y-Y

56685e8a322c3_ShaolinPrince1983-6-b.thum

三少爺的劍
Sword Master (2016)

Language: Mandarin 
Genre: Martial Arts 

Director
 Derek Yee Tung-Sing

Script
 Tsui Hark
 Derek Yee Tung-Sing
 Chun Tin-Nam

Producer
 Tsui Hark

SwordMaster+2015-1-t.jpg

Cast

Kenny Lin Geng-Xin

LinGengXin-1-b.thumb.jpg.5d9c0380d05cfa1

Peter Ho Yun-Tung

LinGengXin-1-b.thumb.jpg.5d9c0380d05cfa1

Jiang Yi-Yan

56685f6557919_IPhoneYou2011-6-b.thumb.jp

Jiang Meng-Jie

JiangMengjie-1-b.thumb.jpg.fe37c03992061

Production Companies
 Film Unlimited Production Co. Ltd.
56685b0636f02_SwordMaster2015-1-b.thumb.

Bona Film Group Company Limited

GD Y-Y

Story
 Ku Long

LinGengXin-1-b.jpg

Edited by GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
  • Like 2

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

The poster for:

Sword Master.

Sword-Master-2015-1.thumb.jpg.4874c20f28

GD Y-Y

• Like 2

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Interesting! I wonder if that's the remake of DEATH DUEL where Derek Yee himself starred as protagonist.

I think it is.

There is another post dealing with his re-make of DEATH DUAL.

GD Y-Y

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I watched 'Death Duel' over the weekend.

Had not seen this in years.

This movie is a no-nonsense -serious-affair.

Not one laugh or bit of humor.

When one looks at  the actors in Derek Yee's remake its hard to see if this will work.

They look like pretty rock stars not kung fu movie actors.

But its Derek Yee's movie and we shall see.

GD Y-Y

567ec270404d4_DeathDuel1977-3-b.thumb.jp

death duel

“Death Duel” Completes Filming – Remake Of Shaw Brothers Classic

Derek Yee has just completed filming the remake of the 1977 Shaw Brothers classic, a movie which he originally starred in. This time, he is back as Director and script-writer with Tsui hark on board as executive producer, after a period of 15 years, planning and discussion.

Lin Gengxin will play one of the main leads in the movie with Peter Ho starring as his rival. The 1977 movie, had a great cast which featured Derek Yee, Ku Feng, Ling Yun, David Chiang, Norman Chu, Ti Lung and many more.

lin-gengxin-1.thumb.jpg.921b7addd344f2de

Lin-Gengxin

Peter_Ho.thumb.jpg.3e7bf60984c86dab6190c

Peter Ho

10313453_1039957399401105_2309178763661610061_n.jpg

• Like 1