Yuan Dynasty Martial Arts movies

Iron_Leopard

Are there any good movies that take place during the Mongol Yuan Dynasty? Seems everything I watch is Ming and Qing Dynasty era flicks. 

• Like 1

Shaw Brothers, Golden Harvest and other independent companies did a few good ones so off the top of my head I'll say

The 14 Amazons

The Heroic Ones (in some context)

Heroes Of Sung ?

8 Diagram Pole Fighters 

The Fate Of Lee Khan

Marco Polo

• Like 5

I'll like to add that some of the titles above were set at the advent of what later became the Yuan Dynasty and during the establishment of the Yuan Dynasty if that makes any difference.

• Like 2

KUNG FU CULT MASTER is set during the Yuan Dynasty, and I'll assume the HEAVEN SWORD AND DRAGON SABER films are, too, as they are based on the same novel.

• Like 4

I'll like to add that some of the titles above were set at the advent of what later became the Yuan Dynasty and during the establishment of the Yuan Dynasty if that makes any difference.

The Mainland film Yao's Young Warriors would also fit into that mold of being set in the waning days of the Sung Dynasty before the Mongols took over.

• Like 4

On 12/8/2015 at 3:50 AM, Iron_Leopard said:

Are there any good movies that take place during the Mongol Yuan Dynasty?

Okay, I think the Taiwanese arthouse film A City Called Dragon is set either in the earliest days of the Yuan Dynasty, or in the final days of the Sung Dynasty.

• Like 3

Light in the Dark

I believe the movie OATH OF DEATH is set in the earlier days of the Yuan Dynasty.   Besides other movies already mentioned,  I also have on my list ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN  and LITTLE DRAGON  MAIDEN, but I'm still on the fence about these two and it's been a while since I viewed them.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Light in the Dark said:

LITTLE DRAGON  MAIDEN

That would make sense, since it's an adaptation of Return of the Condor Heroes, which itself is a precursor to Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre, which is set in the Yuan Dynasty.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 3

Graeme Of Death

I haven't a clue about the different Dynasty's when I watch a kung fu film. There's modern days 70s onwards, there's turn of the century like Project A, then there's olden times. That's it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Although not a movie ( nor even Hong Kong / Taiwan / Mainland China ) , the NHK drama series '' HOJO TOKIMUNE '' prominently features Khubilai Khan's two attempted invasions of Japan .

• Like 2