North American Martial Arts Media

Grasshopper Sage

Grasshopper Sage

I was just wondering what you guys think of North American (&othercountries?!) film/television companies showing their support for the medium of film/television displaying Martial Arts? With "Into the Badlands" now airing on television, of course Kill Bill Vol. 1&2 from '03&'04, Jackie Chan's influence in not only the Rush Hour series but Jackie Chan Adventures as well, not to mention soon to premiere Rush Hour series being brought to television. Does anyone do martial arts media as well as places like China?

Because the kung fu cinema community isn't as conceited as the anime community, I'm pretty sure most people do consider these contributions from North America to be indeed Martial Arts media but with the anime community's stance on how American "anime-styled" shows are not in fact anime (I should know this but why is that?) I was wondering how you think North America (orothercountries?! noseriouslysuggestsomeplz/nonazn) compare to their inspirations?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think any support for the genre no matter which country it comes from is good. As much as I enjoy Hong Kong/Asian Martial Arts cinema, I also love to see other countries interpret the genre too. Not sure Ive actually answered your question though?.

DragonClaws

Bumping this old thread, to see if any NEW members have some opinions/views to share on this subject.

Omni Dragon

It's difficult to describe but despite it's flaws I do personally have a preference for the style of camerawork, editing, choreography and pacing of action sequences of many Hong Kong movies made in the 1970s and 1980s.

I might have a bias towards my preference but it's not like I reject everything else.

On 12/5/2015 at 11:31 AM, Grasshopper Sage said:

I'm pretty sure most people do consider these contributions from North America to be indeed Martial Arts media but with the anime community's stance on how American "anime-styled" shows are not in fact anime (I should know this but why is that?)

Is that because the term "anime" is associated with and implies Japanese animation? 

As for North American martial arts media, surely it's martial arts media and less ambiguous in definition than whether anime is exclusively made in Japan?

Archived