Films Where the Villain Sucked

FieryReign

Morgoth Bauglir

I love Chiang Tao as a villain in Tiger Over Wall, Return to the 36th Chamber, Battle Wizard and many others.   My favorite performance is Kung Fu Zombie where he plays Billy Chong's dad.  He doesn't make a great main villain.  You rarely see him in that role.  

What about the villain in Struggle Through Death?  He was terrible.  I've never even bothered to look up his name.  

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir
  • Like 2

I don't even remember Struggle Through Death. I had to look it up. It's funny that I actually owned it at one point. Just seeing the cover art rang a small bell. Crash Cinema/Venom Mob? 

Heroes Two is another one. Out of all the guys in the Shaw stable, they picked that guy?

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I still do not like Anthony Lau's Eunuch in Secret Service of the Imperial Court.  That's a compliment. I think that character is annoyingly awful, but I have a feeling that's the way Lau intended the character to be. 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 2

Hiroshi Suzuki from Fist of Fury wasn't a very good villain. He does have a "bad guy-look," but he can't fight and he doesn't make any ideas himself. He barely does anything, but I still love Fist of Fury. Such an amazing movie anyway.

• Like 3

Morgoth Bauglir

I still do not like Anthony Lau's Eunuch in Secret Service of the Imperial Court.  That's a compliment, I think that character is annoyingly awful but I have a feeling that's the way Lau intended the character to be. 

yeah I don't think I'd wanna be friends with that guy.

• Like 2

Chiang Tao always made a great henchman, someone to beat before getting to the big boss. Its not so much about being a skilled fighter, in his case, its the attitude.

• Like 2

Martin Chui Man-Fooi was a pretty bad main villain in Last Fist Of Fury. His clueless lackeys looked like they could have taken him out easily. Some of the most inept screen villains Ive watched onscreen.

Russell Wong was woefully inadequate as Jet Li's final fighting opponent in ROMEO MUST DIE.

According to IMDB he trains in Fu Jai Pw Kung Fu, Tai Kwan Do, and Shoji Ryu Karate. I don't remember him doing anything impressive in Romeo Must Die?.

I thought Bong Soo Han was a pretty lame villain in Force Five. He didn't look like a challenge for Joe Lewis at all.

Grasshopper Sage

Just to be clear, we are talking about villains that sucked as in bad right? cause sometimes I enjoy a crappy villain. Someone who tries so hard to be evil but everything they do is just about laughable. I do enjoy my heroes, but I enjoy  my villains just as much, if not more. Especially when they're silly. Just a thought but that may be why Batman's villains are so loved, they don't take they're crimes, let alone anything seriously. If anyone can recommend any martial arts films with purposefully BAD (as in BAD) villains it'd be much appreciated.

I think the same thing applies when it comes to my love of spy media. Things like Archer & the Man from Uncle. Spies who, find themselves in precarious & dangerous situations but make light of the matter, find enjoyment in life & make things humorous. So I guess the same applies to heroes as well. If anyone knows of anyone kung fu films (especially the classics) where either the hero or villain  don't take themselves or life (& the situations they find themselves in seriously) let me know.

• Like 1

According to IMDB he trains in Fu Jai Pw Kung Fu, Tai Kwan Do, and Shoji Ryu Karate. I don't remember him doing anything impressive in Romeo Must Die?.

I thought Bong Soo Han was a pretty lame villain in Force Five. He didn't look like a challenge for Joe Lewis at all.

I was watching a program called Masters of the Martial Arts on TNT in 1998. It was filmed in Harlem and was basically an awards show for martial artists with sneak preview trailers for RUSH HOUR and BLADE. Bong Soo Han showed, already in his 60s, and did 50 push-ups in a minute. I think any deficiency in his onscreen fighting was the choreographer's fault.

About Russell, his most impressive moves were wire assissted, and even then he looked slow.

• Like 1

I was watching a program called Masters of the Martial Arts on TNT in 1998. It was filmed in Harlem and was basically an awards show for martial artists with sneak preview trailers for RUSH HOUR and BLADE. Bong Soo Han showed, already in his 60s, and did 50 push-ups in a minute. I think any deficiency in his onscreen fighting was the choreographer's fault.

About Russell, his most impressive moves were wire assissted, and even then he looked slow.

That's a great story Doc, Ive no doubt he was capable I just didn't find him convincing as a villain. The fight choreography certainly didn't help things. Shih Kien in Enter The Dragon did not display much in the way of great Martial Arts skills but he looked the part.

All of the villains in Ramon Zamora's " Spirit of The Dragon " sucked big time!! absolutely ridiculous!!!!!

Kon Tak Mun in " Deadly Silver Spear "

Li Yi Min in " Life Gamble "

Chan Lau in " The Dragon The Hero "

Tadashi Yamashita in  " American Ninja "

• Like 1

While he didn't suck, per se, Hwang Jang Lee was a pretty lousy villain in "Ninja in the Dragon's Den". He appears out of nowhere, has a great fight but that's it. There's really nothing to him

I also didn't enjoy Gordon Liu's villainous stint in "Tiger on the Beat".

• Like 1

While he didn't suck, per se, Hwang Jang Lee was a pretty lousy villain in "Ninja in the Dragon's Den". He appears out of nowhere, has a great fight but that's it. There's really nothing to him

I think ~ everything in the end sucked in otherwise excellent movie. Fighting while was good nothing spectacular, earlier in flick was better scenes and those silly jokes did not do it for me.

That`s not HWL to blame tho...

Waiting for korean version to arrive mailbox any day....

• Like 1

Hiroshi Suzuki from Fist of Fury wasn't a very good villain. He does have a "bad guy-look," but he can't fight and he doesn't make any ideas himself. He barely does anything, but I still love Fist of Fury. Such an amazing movie anyway.

It's not much of a surprise because Riki Hashimoto, the actor who played Suzuki, was a former baseball player. His other big role would be that of Daimajin in the old series of films.

He spent most of the the time using the sword then got what only a 10-second take of hand strikes only to be blocked by Bruce before the kick to the throat.

• Like 1

It's not much of a surprise because Riki Hashimoto, the actor who played Suzuki, was a former baseball player. His other big role would be that of Daimajin in the old series of films.

He spent most of the the time using the sword then got what only a 10-second take of hand strikes only to be blocked by Bruce before the kick to the throat.

I don't really know much about the actor actually. But still, he doesn't do much in Fist of Fury.

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 1

The warden from " the story of Ricky", I know the movie is from manga, but surely they could have choosen a better actor, and a better death scene to finish the movie.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Donnie Yen, but he kind of sucked as the villain in Shanghai Knights. He wasn't a very interesting villain and his fight with Jackie at the end was boring and anticlimactic. {Spoilers} I mean seriously, getting shot with a Firework was the best they could come up with? And it wasn't even Jackie that did it. 

• Like 1

Cognoscente
2 minutes ago, DarthKato said:

I mean seriously, getting shot with a Firework was the best they could come up with? And it wasn't even Jackie that did it. 

Maybe Donnie had an ego about losing to a past-his-prime Jackie.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 5/8/2021 at 3:58 PM, Cognoscente said:

Jackie Chan in The Killer Meteors.

Who now I think about it effectively goes the way Donnie does in Shanghai Knights!

• Like 2