90's MA films without Jackie, Jet and Donnie

Iron_Leopard

What are some good ones you would recommend? I've already seen and enjoyed "Moon Warriors", "The Magic Crane", and "All Men are Brothers: Blood of the Leopard" and maybe a few others. I need some good ones without the big three.

• Like 1

The Death Games witb Fan Siu Wong, Billy Chow and Collin Chou is essential viewing.

WING CHUN with Michelle Yeoh, too. I would also recommend MARTIAL ARTS MASTER WONG FEI HUNG with Chin Kar Lok. Many others would throw in their two cents for BURNING PARADISE.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Angry Ranger

Sword Stained with Royal Blood 93

Full Contact

Love on Delivery

Long Arm of the Law 3

Kickboxer's Tears

That's Money

Operation Scorpio

The Bride with White Hair

Bloodmoon

In the Line of Duty 5 Middle Man

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir
  • Like 1

One Armed Boxer

What are some good ones you would recommend? I've already seen and enjoyed "Moon Warriors", "The Magic Crane", and "All Men are Brothers: Blood of the Leopard" and maybe a few others. I need some good ones without the big three.

What are your preferences?  I've noticed that all 3 movies fall into the wuxia category, so one 90's wuxia which I definitely wouldn't hesitate to recommend, like Morgoth, is 'The Sword Stained with Royal Blood' with Yuen Biao (it'll make a nice double bill with @Secret Executioner's recommendation of 'Hero of Swallow')!

WING CHUN with Michelle Yeoh, too. I would also recommend MARTIAL ARTS MASTER WONG FEI HUNG with Chin Kar Lok. Many others would throw in their two cents for BURNING PARADISE.

You know 'Wing Chun' is technically a 'Donnie' movie?:tongueout  Definitely second 'Burning Paradise', a highly underrated and far too often overlooked classic.  Ringo Lam directing a period kung-fu movie, what more do you want?  I'd also throw in -

21 Red List

Mirage

Deadend of Besiegers

Tiger Cage 3

Rendezvous of Japanese Kanto

Bloody Mafia

Angel Terminators 2

Blade of Fury

Licence to Steal

Kickboxer

• Like 1

Oops, I momentarily forgot about Donnie being in Wing Chun. My bad. I must be severely beaten. I have Burning Paradise ready to watch. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Are you referring to Mirage with Yu Rong Guang and Tsui Siu Ming? If so, that's from 1987.

Blade of Fury was really good, as was License to Steal.

Mahjong Dragon has Ken Low's best performance outside of Drunken Master 2 and should be given a chance.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reccomendations everyone. I hope some of these are on youtube to watch.

@ One Armed Boxer:I like all martial arts movies but I do prefer the Kung Fu film over the Wu Xia film. Mostly cause I like hand to hand combat over weapons.

• Like 1

Hero of Swallow, a 1996 film with Yuen Biao that's probably one of the best MA films from the 1990s.  :cool 

Is that the one that's similar to Iron Monkey? I need that again, that was my shit. Had to sell it during a rough period, moneywise.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

Are you referring to Mirage with Yu Rong Guang and Tsui Siu Ming? If so, that's from 1987.

Good call, for some reason I remembered it as a 90's flick, but you're right it's from '87.

Mahjong Dragon has Ken Low's best performance outside of Drunken Master 2 and should be given a chance.

I've never seen 'Mahjong Dragon', but if it gets the thumbs up from the doctor then I'l have to rectify that as soon as possible.  Have you ever seen the 1992 production 'Revenge of Scar Face'?  I believe it stars Ken Lo as the main character, which makes it quite unique

Is that the one that's similar to Iron Monkey? I need that again, that was my shit. Had to sell it during a rough period, moneywise.

Yeah, that's the one, Biao plays a character who bascially robs from the rich and gives to the poor.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Mahjong Dragon is a good one.  I haven't heard any good things about Revenge of Scarface.  I don't think Al Pacino is in it.  Hero of Swallow is ok.  

I listed Long Arm of the Law 3, but it's from 1989.  But it's close enough I think.  It had to be listed for Leung Siu Hung's brillaint choreography.  Andy Lau has never looked tougher.  

Has anyone reviewed Rendezvous of Japanese Kanto?  I can't remember.     

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

I thought I'd read a review of it.  Does Chang Shan get to do anything?  

He has a brief cameo, but it's a cameo that involves him fighting, so no complaints!  Definitely shouldn't be watched as a Chang Shan flick though.

• Like 2

I listed Long Arm of the Law 3, but it's from 1989.  But it's close enough I think.  It had to be listed for Leung Siu Hung's brillaint choreography.  Andy Lau has never looked tougher.  

All of a sudden I want to watch this movie. I saw the first one, which was pretty good. That sort of gangster/crime film isn't my cup of tea, but it was Worth the 90 minutes I spent watching it (if only to placate my obsession for watching movies nominated for the HK film award for Best Action Design).

• Like 2

Morgoth Bauglir

I didn't realize it was nominated.  It definitely deserved it.  I prefer 3 much more than 1 and 2, because of the action.  

• Like 1

I watched The Hero of Swallow last night on youtube. Great stuff. Exactly what I was looking for. Good call Secret Executioner.

• Like 1

I freaking loved "Martil Arts Master Wong Fei Hung"! I'm not familar with the guy who played Fei Hung but he did an amazing job. The fight scenes were incredible. Some of the best I've seen of the 90's. I need this movie in my collection.

"Burning Paradise" was also very good. Kind of weird of though as it pretty much took place underground. For some reason this movie reminded me a tad of "True Legend".

• Like 1

I noticed DrNgor has already mentioned Mahjong Dragon but I'd like to recommend The Blade also starring Chiu Man-Cheuk. This Tsui Hark directed film is heavily influenced by the classic Jimmy Wang Yu film One Armed Boxer. The lesser known Black Sheep Affair is also pretty entertaining and stars the same actor.

Edited by DragonClaws

I freaking loved "Martil Arts Master Wong Fei Hung"! I'm not familar with the guy who played Fei Hung but he did an amazing job. The fight scenes were incredible. Some of the best I've seen of the 90's. I need this movie in my collection.

Chin Kar-Lok played Wong Fei Hung in that one...he's now the President of the Hong Kong Stuntman Association :)  

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

I would recommend kick boxer the yuen biao/yuen wah film,great ground based action.Also final run starring yukari oshima Leung kar yan dick Wei.Great action and great stunts.

• Like 1

Chin Kar-Lok played Wong Fei Hung in that one...he's now the President of the Hong Kong Stuntman Association :)  

Chin Kar Lok spent the 80s doing stuntwork and supporting roles. In the 90s he really tried to become the next big thing, but to no avail. In the 2000s he basically reinvented himself as an action director and has since become one of the most critically-acclaimed action directors in the industry.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer

I recently got through reviewing 'Bloody Mafia' which I recommended earlier in this thread way back in 2015! The swansong of Casanova Wong, in which he both starred and directed, I still class it as a highpoint of the 'trilby hat wearing gangsters that know taekwondo' flick craze that populated the Korean DTV scene in the early - mid 90's! Check it out below - 

https://cityonfire.com/bloody-mafia-1994-review/

• Like 3

On 1/14/2021 at 12:09 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

I recently got through reviewing 'Bloody Mafia' which I recommended earlier in this thread way back in 2015!

Great review @One Armed Boxer, really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this production.

• Like 2