List of Celestial SB movies on iTunes

Chemical Lemon

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, have Celestial exhausted their kung fu HD film supply? :monk_laughing:They must be getting somewhat close.

Chemical Lemon

I think they did exhaust nearly all the HD titles from their original catalog. It seems like they’ve made a pretty huge effort to upgrade all their remaining SD titles To HD (or possibly do reasonably decent upscales).  Almost all the movies that have gone up in the last 6 months were not marked as HD in the old catalog.  There are at least a couple Kung fu movies that I’ve seen in HD on El Rey or in that old catalog that haven’t shown up on iTunes yet, along with intimate confessions of a Chinese courtesan that has a HK blu ray, along with some horror titles from 88 films. I think we’re going to see more and more comedies and dramas though. Right now it seems we get an average of about 1 movie a week with about 1 out of every 5 being an 80s comedy or drama. There’s probably something like 140 action/Martial arts movies left and about 300 dramas/comedies/etc (excluding all those zii eagle movies). So I suspect over time the ratio of Kung fu / other stuff will drop. It’s possible though they’re only doing the movies they think there’s a market for and they think there’s a market for Kung fu/action in the west and 80s comedies/dramas in Asia. I’m really surprised they haven’t put up any Huangmei operas, several of those are in HD and I assume there’s still a market for those in Asia. Maybe though, the market for those are older people who might not stream movies or buy blu ray. 

2 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

I think they did exhaust nearly all the HD titles from their original catalog. It seems like they’ve made a pretty huge effort to upgrade all their remaining SD titles To HD (or possibly do reasonably decent upscales).  Almost all the movies that have gone up in the last 6 months were not marked as HD in the old catalog.  There are at least a couple Kung fu movies that I’ve seen in HD on El Rey or in that old catalog that haven’t shown up on iTunes yet, along with intimate confessions of a Chinese courtesan that has a HK blu ray, along with some horror titles from 88 films. I think we’re going to see more and more comedies and dramas though. Right now it seems we get an average of about 1 movie a week with about 1 out of every 5 being an 80s comedy or drama. There’s probably something like 140 action/Martial arts movies left and about 300 dramas/comedies/etc (excluding all those zii eagle movies). So I suspect over time the ratio of Kung fu / other stuff will drop. It’s possible though they’re only doing the movies they think there’s a market for and they think there’s a market for Kung fu/action in the west and 80s comedies/dramas in Asia. I’m really surprised they haven’t put up any Huangmei operas, several of those are in HD and I assume there’s still a market for those in Asia. Maybe though, the market for those are older people who might not stream movies or buy blu ray. 

I certainly do not want to see the end of HD releases for their martial arts films. But, at some point they will have to. Hopefully, we will be getting the rest of what they have at some point. But, they are getting close to releasing the "B" stuff. Or, more fairly, lesser known SB films. I will keep supporting it but hoping to avoid the double-dipping with possible future blu-ray releases. I sort of know to stay away from horror titles on iTunes just in case. And, now we are starting to see some titles being released on blu-ray before they make it to iTunes. That, by the way, makes me an extremely happy person since I had assumed, only a couple of years ago, that our only access to SB HD would be downloads. 

Chemical Lemon
4 hours ago, shawman34 said:

seems like they have stopped releasing them on itunes

It’s been a while. I think the last one was sometime in February. Almost 3 months I think. These long droughts aren’t unusual but I do think they’re running out of HD content. I do expect them to start up again, there’s at least some HD films they haven’t released yet and I do think they’re still upgrading all their SD scans to HD. It may just be a slow process. They’ve burned through just about everything HD in their original catalog (from 2007?) and about half their martial arts/action.  I suspect we’ll get some more this year. 

I have fallen behind on the releases and need to get caught up before another round. 

iTunes prices are still pretty high for the HD versions.  If you also have Amazon Video, prices are generally much lower.  An HD version of Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, for instance is $7.99 on iTunes and only $2.99 on Amazon.  And that's to buy, not rent.  Not sure if that helps anyone, but thought I'd mention it.

It`s been a while, but, should we assume at this point that there may not be any new Shaws uploaded to iTunes for purchase? I know to never say never as things have been spotty. But, it does seem that most of the titles that I had on dvd have been given the HD treatment and available on iTunes. There are still some titles that I need to get. But, overall, I am guessing that (at least) the kung-fu titles are done now?! I know there are a few more titles that I would love to see go HD but Celestial have been very quiet lately. Blu-ray releases have seemed to slow down too.

Chemical Lemon

Yeah, I think they're done for at least the short term.  I really did resist accepting that they were done.  Maybe this will be the opposite situation from what I did in the 88 thread, where I said I was pretty sure more SB was coming, and then like the next day they said they weren't.  So if I say they're done, maybe Celestial will surprise us and throw some up on iTunes. 

I expect they will eventually put some more up, but they've worked through just about everything in their original catalogue of HD titles along with quite a few that were done recently.  88 films made it sound like the process for getting new HD scans in HK was extremely slow.  So even if they're still working on them they may not have the volume yet to make it worth their time to pay someone to get them ready for streaming platforms.  It's kind of a bummer, they were coming out so fast I got used to it, got a little addicted to checking and having them pop up every 2 weeks or so.  They definitely have some additional HD movies though, and possibly it's just that the licensors have made a deal where they get a window of time before they can go up on streaming sites.  I'm not sure.  And there are movies that are coming out on blu that didn't have HD scans before and are not on streaming services (Like Killer Army), so they're definitely making some progress. 

While waiting for new HD scans, since they have some free time why not go back and add the english dubs to the few movies they're missing on..... I'll list them out just in the very unlikely case anyone from celestial reads this and/or actually cares.

The Angry Guest

The Flying Dagger

The Kid with a Tattoo

Shaolin Handlock

.... and I know Celestial doesn't have the dubs for these, but they are on dvd, so just in case

Black Magic 2

Martial Club

I did notice that just the other night they de-linked that one non-SB 2000s movie (I forget the name) from the Celestial Pictures label on iTunes.  It does give me some hope that maybe someone is actually looking at and working on something.

4 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Yeah, I think they're done for at least the short term.  I really did resist accepting that they were done.  Maybe this will be the opposite situation from what I did in the 88 thread, where I said I was pretty sure more SB was coming, and then like the next day they said they weren't.  So if I say they're done, maybe Celestial will surprise us and throw some up on iTunes. 

I expect they will eventually put some more up, but they've worked through just about everything in their original catalogue of HD titles along with quite a few that were done recently.  88 films made it sound like the process for getting new HD scans in HK was extremely slow.  So even if they're still working on them they may not have the volume yet to make it worth their time to pay someone to get them ready for streaming platforms.  It's kind of a bummer, they were coming out so fast I got used to it, got a little addicted to checking and having them pop up every 2 weeks or so.  They definitely have some additional HD movies though, and possibly it's just that the licensors have made a deal where they get a window of time before they can go up on streaming sites.  I'm not sure.  And there are movies that are coming out on blu that didn't have HD scans before and are not on streaming services (Like Killer Army), so they're definitely making some progress. 

While waiting for new HD scans, since they have some free time why not go back and add the english dubs to the few movies they're missing on..... I'll list them out just in the very unlikely case anyone from celestial reads this and/or actually cares.

The Angry Guest

The Flying Dagger

The Kid with a Tattoo

Shaolin Handlock

.... and I know Celestial doesn't have the dubs for these, but they are on dvd, so just in case

Black Magic 2

Martial Club

I did notice that just the other night they de-linked that one non-SB 2000s movie (I forget the name) from the Celestial Pictures label on iTunes.  It does give me some hope that maybe someone is actually looking at and working on something.

I wish they would put the English dub up for Sword Stained With Royal Blood and The Sentimental Swordsman.  We know they exist based on a few small clips that a forum poster posted here several years ago.

Chemical Lemon
1 hour ago, goldenarm said:

I wish they would put the English dub up for Sword Stained With Royal Blood and The Sentimental Swordsman.  We know they exist based on a few small clips that a forum poster posted here several years ago.

I had no idea, thanks for mentioning it. I remember hearing debate about the existence of one for Sentimental Swordsman, but I didn’t realize anyone even thought The Sword Stained with Royal Blood had one.

On 12/12/2018 at 11:41 PM, Chemical Lemon said:

I had no idea, thanks for mentioning it. I remember hearing debate about the existence of one for Sentimental Swordsman, but I didn’t realize anyone even thought The Sword Stained with Royal Blood had one.

No problem:)  I think it might have been the forum member named "Globe" that posted the clips of those two films with the first 2-3 minutes of each film featuring the English dubs for them and they were remastered Celestial widescreen prints.

Archived