List of Celestial SB movies on iTunes

Chemical Lemon

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/25/2017 at 10:15 PM, Chemical Lemon said:

Merry Christmas!  Heroes Shed No Tears is up on iTunes w/ English dub

Awesome! What a nice little Christmas gift. Hoping that one hits blu-ray at some point. I think that is one movie that deserves more attention.

Chemical Lemon

Doubles Cause Troubles is up.  Not martial arts, but I think I liked this one.  Has Maggie Cheung, Do Do Cheng, and Nat Chan in it.

Chemical Lemon

huge stash of movies popped up on iTunes (probably tonight, I don't know when the last time I checked was).  A very good mix of movies too, with the required non-action title thrown in.

What Price Honesty (w/ English Dub)

The Magic Blade (w/ English Dub)

The Proud Youth

Ode to Gallantry

The Oily Maniac

Loving You

On 1/30/2018 at 1:15 AM, Chemical Lemon said:

huge stash of movies popped up on iTunes (probably tonight, I don't know when the last time I checked was).  A very good mix of movies too, with the required action title thrown in.

What Price Honesty (w/ English Dub)

The Magic Blade (w/ English Dub)

The Proud Youth

Ode to Gallantry

The Oily Maniac

Loving You

Some nice titles here. I have fallen behind on my iTunes purchases. But, since we are seeing some of these titles getting a blu-ray release before they hit iTunes, it gives me hope. Just a few years ago, it was the reverse. I would prefer to invest in blu-ray so I am going to hold off so I don't end up double-dipping. Unless, it is something that I really need to have right now. But, glad to see them coming out.  

Recently some good titles going up on itunes, but i wish they would backtrack if they have the "audio rights" and put up Shaolin Handlock, Kid with a Tattoo, Flying Daggers, Angry Guest and a few others with their English dubs as these movies have English voiced over dubs in circulation

Chemical Lemon
1 hour ago, reason108 said:

Damn! Isn't that more of an obscure title? 

Yeah, it's a bit of a mess.  You can be somewhat forgiving though seeing as how Fu Sheng died before it was finished.  There's some good in it though, and it has all the cast you'd expect from a Fu Sheng movie at SB.  I forget the exact story behind how this movie started and finished, but Fu Sheng, Lau Kar Wing, and Wong Jing are all listed as co-directors.  So it may be that one or both of LKW and WJ stepped in at the end to help get it out the door.  That might explain some of it.  But it has the general feel of late SB comedy/kung-fu which is usually pretty weak.  

In some ways this makes sense as a pick though.  Celestial seems to favor Fu Sheng movies, I think they sell decently for them.  Could just be a coincidence though since the genre and directors on most of his movies are also their iTunes focus.  It's also the only martial arts movie released recently that was listed as having an HD master in the original Celestial catalog.  Clearly there's one for Oily Maniac now, but they've been sitting on the Wits of the Brats HD master for 10+ years.  A lot of this last batch of releases look pretty soft to me, and I'm not sure if it's just that I've been watching them on a larger tv, or if maybe they're upconverts.  I can't actually tell, so don't read too much into that.

On 1/31/2018 at 3:35 AM, reason108 said:

I would prefer to invest in blu-ray so I am going to hold off so I don't end up double-dipping

I have been doing just the opposite, I am double-dipping (physical & digital) a lot on the Shaws that I like. Initially, my digitals were mostly with Google Play as I used to get a lot of promos from them but have been spreading to include iTunes, Microsoft & Amazon. 

Crossing my fingers for Magnificent Ruffians or Rebel Intruders. I thought these were promoted as upcoming releases a long time ago. 

Chemical Lemon
3 hours ago, Little Deer said:

Crossing my fingers for Magnificent Ruffians or Rebel Intruders. I thought these were promoted as upcoming releases a long time ago. 

Yeah that’s what I thought. But it turned out they were just doing a venoms promotion and used a video template that had the “available to stream” message on it. I think one or more of these will be coming relatively soon though. They were both supposed show at the urban action showcase earlier this year. Not sure how they were shown but I suspect it was a digital projection and it had either a new scan or an upscaled version of the existing scan. It could have been a collectors copy but it was sponsored by Celestial so I think they probably supplied the print or digital copy. 

That's a shame these two venom's films haven't surfaced yet as you mentioned, but i think "Daredevils" is also imminent as well

Chemical Lemon

also recently checked the version of Ten Tigers of Kwangtung playing on El Rey, and it looks a lot better than I remember.  Not great, my streaming for El Rey makes it impossible to say for sure.  But the last time I checked that movie on El Rey it had interlacing issues and was blocky since it was an SD copy.  It definitely looks better now.  So I suspect this one has either gotten an HD scan or is going through whatever process they're using now to upscale their old scans.  Which means it will eventually end up on iTunes, but I kinda think everything is going to end up on there now.  Last time I saw Rebel Intruders and Magnificent Ruffians on El Rey they both had the same SD interlaced issues, but I still think those are coming soon, if they look better next time I see them on El Rey I'll be pretty happy.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:33 AM, shaw golden said:

Recently some good titles going up on itunes, but i wish they would backtrack if they have the "audio rights" and put up Shaolin Handlock, Kid with a Tattoo, Flying Daggers, Angry Guest and a few others with their English dubs as these movies have English voiced over dubs in circulation

@shaw golden. Welcome to the forums.

3 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

@shaw golden. Welcome to the forums.

thank u silver and gold dragon and chemical lemon , believe it or not i was just going 2 introduce myself to this forum as i have never been on any thread b fore and am on a feeling out process, residing in the u.k. l will try my best 2 contribute 2 this excellent thread and others as well as developing my own, i would like 2 think i can contribute quite a lot of info to this thread

thanks again and i should have introduced myself properly from the start

shaw golden

At least the Shaw releases seems consistent in all stores (countries). Which can't be said for other Asian movies e.g. from Golden Harvest. It's interesting what titles you can find on the Singapore or Hong Kong Store. Unfortunately it's always region locked :dull Which really sucks! Even though there's a way around it but not really worth the extra effort.

20 hours ago, laagi said:

At least the Shaw releases seems consistent in all stores (countries). Which can't be said for other Asian movies e.g. from Golden Harvest. It's interesting what titles you can find on the Singapore or Hong Kong Store. Unfortunately it's always region locked :dull Which really sucks! Even though there's a way around it but not really worth the extra effort.

you're quite correct, i have noticed that but with an exception as the licensed non Shaw film "the new game of death", which is available on itunes in some Asian territories as Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan without the English dub , but still not available on itunes in the Americas or Europe in any form whatsoever, as the author of this post chemical has already stipulated. Funimation as we can all recall did put out "custom english dubs" for "bastard swordsman" which i really did like the overdubbing alot, but many others didn't seem to like, and "soul of the sword" which if i recall correctly the English dubbing was just ok, but these audios were not included in the itunes catalogue release?, maybe another case of audio rights, but jimmy wang yu film "sword of swords" did receive a listed itunes english dub.

I finally got around to picking up Lady is the Boss tonight. That should complete my collection of Lau Kar-leung directed Shaw Brothers films in HD. I want to complete my Chang Cheh and Chor Yuen collection but those films seem ripe for blu-ray release by either 88 or Koch. And, there is no reason to own both an iTunes release and the blu-ray unless we get an English dub or the subs are translated differently on the iTunes release. 

NoKUNGFUforYU
On 2/22/2018 at 7:09 PM, reason108 said:

I finally got around to picking up Lady is the Boss tonight. That should complete my collection of Lau Kar-leung directed Shaw Brothers films in HD. I want to complete my Chang Cheh and Chor Yuen collection but those films seem ripe for blu-ray release by either 88 or Koch. And, there is no reason to own both an iTunes release and the blu-ray unless we get an English dub or the subs are translated differently on the iTunes release. 

Your collection is not complete without this one-

Archived