demon spies

Guest lickinblood

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Daisho2004

Kazuo Koike, who created genre favorites such as LONE WOLF CLUB and CRYING FREEMAN, also wrote DEMON SPIES, an anime samurai film. Koike is something of an entrepreneur in anime circles, having worked in movies, television, and various print mediums (including his very own golf magazine!). Fans will be delighted with this entry into his canon of films, with DEMON SPIES delivering all the blood-flecked action audiences have come to love.

I bought this when it was released good movie, bloody. For the price its worth buying but checkout Netflix 1st. they might have it for you to view 1st. to see if you like it.

Guest THESHAWMAN

I have just watched this last nite, enjoyed this one! worth getting, i need more samurai stuff! any you guys willing to help out?

Guest kungfusamurai

I thought Demon Spies was alright. It had an interesting story and background. I was just disappointed that it lacked in the fighting department. By that, I mean, there weren't that many fights, and the ones they did have weren't spectacular.

KFS

Guest KevinClo

I'm with Kungfusamurai on this one. Okay, but not really my cup of tea. I think if you like ninja movies you will really like this one. Like Daisho points out it is a Kazuo Koike story that was originally manga. It is a complete story, but I do not think they had any sequels since there is something near the end that implies they might have intended to do more.

KC

Guest Tosh

I like my Samurai movies before the 70's, don't get me wrong, I liked some 70's movies, and Chiba is awesome, but the acting and production went downhill for me. Shawman, what kind of Samurai movies have you liked so far?

Guest pressureworld

The story was fine the problem were the actors they lacked that magnetism and charisma that the actors had in Kazuo Koike's other stories exp. Lone Wolf and Cub, Lady Snowblood. The actors were sleepwalking in there roles in Demon Spies not to mention these guys were terrible screen fighters this could have been, and should have been so much better than it was.

Guest THESHAWMAN

Tosh,

i love the lone wolf and cub movies! wonder what happen to the kid actor playing diagaro? anyone?

I can imagine that kid would of became a serial killer and rapist. Could you imagine being his age and seeing all the stuff that happens in the movie, he even kills a few here and there. :lol

Guest Yakuza954

the kid actor from the lone wolf and cub TV series actually went to jail for killing someone I believe. It came out about a year ago.

Resurrecting this thread from waaaay back. Funny I posted in this thread years ago but never seen the movie... until last night, I've been sitting on this one for years, been on a Japanese kick lately and came across this in my "to watch" pile. For some reason I thought this was something different, a quick glance on the internet and all I had to see was the masks - sold! I'm a sucker for Asian mask movies.

The movie isn't bad, it is bogged down by it's bland protagonists, and for all the reasoning for the rape scene it doesn't really add up to much by the end of the story, plus the volcano scene really drags it out. But what it does have going for it is some good arterial blood sprays, hacked limbs, and a couple good villains, the main being played by the always excellent Kei Sato, not to mention a couple other Toho regulars like Shin Kishida, and of course the masks.

For all the nonsense the end part when they confront Sato stands out, he calmly tells them they won nothing, and there will always be people like him trying to grab power, indeed the Shogunate would be toppled years later.

BlackLamaFaction

Yeah, I scooped this up a while back when i bought the Mikogami Trilogy. I thought it was good fun and I really like movies where the bad guys are the heroes.If you like Toho films from this period Demon Spies certainly has all the hallmarks of what Toho was doing as far as Samurai Exploitation (the blood sprays, and great villains Tosh referred to) Without giving anything away I thought the special technique the Demon Spies reveal in the end was pretty cool. I thought it had something to offer as a Ninja Film for depicting the brutality and indoctrination of their training and the heartless killers they become as a result. It gets kind of hard to swallow those 50's and 60's ninja films that portray ninjas as these brooding, romantic figures.

waywardsage

I watched this recently too. I enjoyed it. But the ending sorta went off in a random direction. In many ways, it portrays what being a ninja might have been like. They were indoctrinated spies. They had nothing to look forward to but death.

I also (re)watched this some months back. As stated before, it lacks memorable characters/storyline, but I think it's quite a good effort in its genre. Lovely arterial sprays, bastard spies in masks, enjoyable exploitation values and very nice (though brief) fight scenes. I liked the ending, too.

Some have said it makes little sense, but hey, this kinda film isn't supposed to be the most logical one. It's fast moving, stylish and technically well made exploitation chanbara.

Coolest moment (coolness spoiler): ninja master demonstrates the art of dying by cutting his own face off! How bloody awesome is that?!

Hold on to your Animeigo dvds. Though it has crappy encoding, it's the only dvd available world wide, oop too, and I wouldn't be too sure the film will ever receive any other release or re-release again.

One thing that amazes me about the 50's-60's Japanese actors is you never see a bad performance, it's like all the older actors were on top of their game, even the bit part actors. I have to wonder with the younger actors in Demon Spies if it wasn't the turning of the tide and the eventual downslide in quality of Japanese film in the 80's.

At any rate this was a fun movie, those devil masks are my favorite, love to have a good authentic hand carved one hanging on my wall some day.

Archived